1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best 12" speaker?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by lennysj, Apr 19, 2010.

1. lennysj

lennysj

Ok, so I have been thinking about downsizing my rig for a while now. I want to have something portable that I can take to a small venue and add to it if I need to beef it up. I was thinking of getting two single 12 cabs similar to the Eden D112XLT.

I found a cabinet manufacture here in San Antonio and basically I would have the option to drop in any 12" speaker into the cabinet that they build.

So the question now is, what is the best 12" speaker? I was told the JBL 2206H/J. Any other recommendations?

2. MrRumble

MrRumble

Eminence Delta LF

3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

4. wideyes

wideyes Supporting Member

Whichever one I'm currently using :bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

please define best.

7. lennysj

lennysj

Good point. Ok, IMO most 12's have a brighter sound than say 2x10's. So which 12" speaker has a good warm sound. Maybe something with say a stronger lower-mid range than upper-mid range. But also has enough punch to get through the mix and not get muddy. I think that JBL is rated at 600W continuous which seems pretty high, but that is ok with me.

8. jmcgliss

jmcgliss

You really need to check out David Nordschow's new DNS112 design at www.dnaamps.com Serious low end plus detail, high power handling, and not a warmover of the Eden 112XLT.

Just dropping a speaker in a box will not get you "best".

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    good luck getting it to take 600w.

you are generalizing about speakers, btw...you can find bright 12"s and dark 12"s. you can find bright 10"s and dark 10"s. it's all about how it's built and has zip to do with speaker size. also, dropping speakers into boxes can lead to poor results, especially if you don't know anything about tuning your cab and porting methods. at this point, unless you want to devote a few months into learning speaker cab design, you're way better off getting something already made.

10. SpamBot

SpamBot

I'm quite partial to the Emi 3012HO myself. It's loud and doesn't need a big box, also it can perform well full-range unlike its LF cousin.

11. Tim C.

Tim C. Supporting Member

I've messed around with WinISD trying to come up with a 2x12 using Eminence Deltalite II 2512's, and I can't tell you how many times I thought I finally had it right, only to learn something new and realize I had it so very, very wrong.

I think I'm getting close now, but hell, I've lost track of how many hours of reading, math, and messing about with WinISD I've spent on it. I wouldn't have bothered if I wasn't in college doing nothing all day except listening to music, playing bass and internetting. :smug:

And I may end up building this cab, hate it, and sell the speakers and burn the timber. Who knows!

12. WayneP

WayneP

+1.

I'd suggest just getting an Aguilar 112. Very nice sounding cabinet.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pedulla Club #45

13. PawleeP

PawleeP

wHAT ABOUT A BLACK WIDOW 12 OR A EV 12L? FOR 2-12 AVATAR STYLE BASS CAB AM PLAYING SOME IN DROP D CSHAP AND A LITTLE IN DROP C ALSO.. PP

14. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

Before you even consider a DIY job, you should get the exact internal dimensions from that cab builder, including the precise port dimensions (and port count). The cab tuning will be the limiting favor for any driver you select, so that's why it's important to understand the cab's characteristics first.

You should also ask the cab builder about bracing and internal lining.

15. PawleeP

PawleeP

thanx craig, maybe i will contact avatar