Best 200+watts under $500 combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by himluis1, Jan 16, 2013.

1. himluis1

himluis1

i had the bg250 before selling it around christmas time , i have an acoustic b200 that i play at church amd i had the gk mb115 a year ago ... im between buying the bg250 or go with the new mb115 ii from gk ... i dont want any head + cab combination , cause for what i do a 200+ combo amp will do all mi gigs and church events just fine !!! one thing i like about gk is better cab not fragile or easy to dent n scratch and chain out option to add a powered cab , i dont care too much about bg250 effects as in live gigs situations didn't make a big difference for me .. so Gk or Tc ??? ill be heading to GC this weekend to buy , i have active fender jazz bass n passive jazz bass , thats my gear . thanks
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Buy the GK. simple, strong, effective. I can't get too excited by TC amps. I think their reliability is OK but they seem a little less rugged than I prefer. Features that I'm also not interested in as well... I can't get excited by the *new* Acoustic stuff at all.
  3. brumshine

brumshine

What's wrong with using the acoustic B200 in combination with the house PA? I've been using one for years and it has no problem in the lound guitar rock bands I play in. It is plenty loud! I gig with a Bronco --> Eden WTDI --> B200 and love the sounds I get from it!

Thanks,
    BRUMSHINE
  4. tdub0199

tdub0199

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

7. himluis1

himluis1

i have no problem with the acoustic b200 that i play at church , it get distorted after may be pushing it to 8 or 9 volume wise but is also a 100lbs !!! i want something easy to carry , setup and good sound may be GK it is !!! like i said add the powered cab n u get 400+watts 70lbs great sound n good looks too !!!
  8. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

The middle school I teach at has a GK MB112. Sounds great, well built, loud with plenty of headroom. Great amp!
  9. apollo18

apollo18

What about a hartke hydrive combo?
  10. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

G-K hands down.
  11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

acoustic - blew one accidentally
    gk - sounds great
    tc - never heard
  12. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

TC, without a doubt. Much louder and completely gigable without support. A/B them and see what I'm talking about.
  13. ThirtyOver

ThirtyOver

I have the Acoustic as well...no problems (if people remembered they arent Ampegs and set accordingly they work just fine.

Went to guitar Center a few weeks ago with some buddies and did the same thing...I played through every combo amp they had and a few stand alone models.....

in the end the GK MB 115 II was the best sounding....(well didnt the touch the Ampeg Svt Classic but who wants to pay that much) To this day our rhythm guitarist keeps lamenting to me how good it sounded. (he actually got pissy when I told him Im looking into Mesa stuff)
  14. George Mann

George Mann

The cheapest one is over $500. I personally vote for the Carvin MB210 (slave cabinet available).
  15. Mtnman

Mtnman

16. El-Bob

El-Bob

I'll throw in another vote for GK. You'll get way more volume out of them for the wattage rating than any other brand I've heard. Most brands exaggerate the power of their amps... GK is quite the opposite. Running at 180 watts, I fear what I could do to my cab rated for 600... running an ampeg head at 350 into the same cab, and I have no such worries. GK makes some powerful stuff!
  17. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

As far as the two combos go, the TC has more volume. You would have to A/B them to know.
  18. zachoff

zachoff

A used one. I've seen SWR Redeads go for $500. That's a hell of a deal, IMO.
  19. Ragoo

Ragoo

+1 on used.

Also, you might be able to scoop up another B200 for a "combo stack" since GC just put in Acoustic V 2.0 amps somewhat recently. I got a NEW B600H, B410, and a B115 all for about $500 back in June.
  20. himluis1

himluis1

one thing i like about the new gk mb115 ii is the cab , it has been improved , the material is better when it comes to move it around and still manage to be under 35lbs i had tc before ans the material can dent n scratch easily ... im not too exited about effects , tone prints etc ... just want good tone and reliability , almost 90% with GK mb115 ii , as soon as i get my money ill be buying it i think ...
  21. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Good plan IMO.