1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best 2x10 Cabinet and Amp Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TheBrianMeadows, Feb 12, 2012.

1. TheBrianMeadows

TheBrianMeadows

I currently own a GK Backline 600 and a 4x10 Goldline Cab. I'm looking into getting a smaller cab for smaller settings.

I want it to pack a lot of punch (bass) as well as be lightweight and versatile.

Does anyone have recommendations? What do you own/have used.

2. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Hi. I would recommend Avatar's 210. But that's only because I have one, and I like it.

There are as many answers to your question as there are cabs. Read up (maybe starting with the stickies at the top of the amps forum) and post again when you have specific questions, e.g., what is the best 210 for metal.

Welcome to Talkbass!

--Bomb :bassist:

3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

I use a Trace Elliot 1028h. It's great, I love the thing. It can get lots of sounds from super punchy to deep bass, and it's only 50 pounds. Sticking with GK would be a great option too. Although they are pricey, I also loved an EBS 210 i played.

4. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

By the way, the head I use with it is a Carvin BX500, if you were wondering.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

I have a backline 600 paired with an ashdown 210t deep, sounds great and it's not too heavy, has more lows than you would expect from a 210 cab and I love the classic look

7. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Put a nice padded shoulder strap on a medium/ small sized 210 or 112 cab. It may look goofy, but it makes it an easy one trip carry.

That GK head is a pretty good one, I wouldn't rush to get rid of it.

8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I have not tried all cabs in the market (to say the least) but I am picky about tone and I have found something that works very well for me. There are many mini/micro heads out there today and most of themget very good reviews. I did buy the LMII not very long after the launch here in Sweden and I have not looked back. Warm, articulated tone, very little noise and the right mini amp features for me.

For speakers 10"? I will recommend Deltalite II 2510 to anyone searching for a flexible all round neo speaker that gets high, low and loud enough for most applications. It is a big step up compared to the "regular" Eminence products. No longer very cheap, though. I doubt many commercial cabs have equal or better drivers... I sure have not seen one.
    Faital Pro, Oberton, P Audio, Celestion, RCF, Ciare etc also have very good 10" speakers that will make a well executed 210 perform on the same lavel as a typical mid price 410.

9. truecanadian04

truecanadian04

10. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Would it have to be 210? Have you ever tried a PJB 4x5? If it was me I'd rather have a PJB cab than any 210 I've tried so far.

I own a ampeg 810, have owned a swr goliath Sr (6x10) a peavey 810, 2 peavey 115. Kustom 2x12 and I'm ordering an avatar 410neo this week. The idea of me buying a 210 went out the window with NEOs because now you can have a 410 as light as many older 210s. I actually practice at home with headphones and a pod and leave my rig at the practice spot but if I had a gig that would suit it I'd get the PJB.

11. Arjank

Arjank

They are indeed a step up, but my experience with the Deltalite II 2510 isn't great. There are several other drivers that kick'm in the b... e.g. Beyma 10G40 or the Oberton 10B200(which I use in my 210 design)
    And yes, a 210 build with those drivers can push as much air as a typical lower/mid priced 410.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you want a 210 with a big sound, look for one with a big cab. It does make a difference. PF210he will do some pretty serious lows. A little heavier than some but not unbearably so.

13. Grey Sarcasm

Grey Sarcasm

I use an Eden 210XST. 59 lbs. Definitely not the lightest 210. Markbass cabs are quite light and I like their sound as well. Take a look at Markbass if weight is a big concern.

14. mystic38

mystic38

i guess its hard to even state any type of opinion without knowing what sort of sound you are looking for?.. after all TB is full of folks that spread from wanting hifi speaker replacements to "thawump" so its best to put parameters around your question..music style, tonal preference..

15. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

I just had one of those moments where you read something and think "Oh my god.....YES. Why haven't I thought of that!!"

Any chance you've got photos? I'd bet it's MUCH easier to pack-mule my 210 on my back and carry my case in my hand than the reverse.

16. Russell L

Russell L

Markbass CMD 102P combo might do ya. I think it weighs 40-something lbs.

17. Christov

Christov

I would recommend an SWR Super Redhead. But if you're not needing all of the power and can find an old SWR Basic Black (it has a 15" instead of 2X10's) I think it would be a great choice too!!

18. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

If you already have a GK setup that you like, I'd stick with GK and just get the MB210 combo. i have an SWR Redhead 210 that i gigged with for about a year and i did ok, i recently picked up one of the new GK MB212-II combo's and it blows the Redhead away. More volume, more bottom end, cuts better, half the price of the Redhead, and about a 1/3 of the weight.

19. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

That is exactly why I did it. I wanted to keep my Bass in a HSC. I know plenty of people have been fine with gig bags, but Im not a fan of them for expensive instruments. Guess it just made sense to strap the cab. I couldn't imagine walking around with a hard case backpack:D

Sadly
    I don't have any pictures of it. (TB rules means it never happened:()

20. derylgallant

derylgallant Bassist from Prince Edward Island, Canada Supporting Member

I have the GK MB500 and the Neo210. IMO it's crazy awesome. 44 pounds to have 350 watts from amp/cab.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=270182&d=1338633424