1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best 34" Scale 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fragernackyl, Dec 16, 2013.

1. fragernackyl

fragernackyl Supporting Member

I'm going to sell my Modulus Q5. I just can't get used to 35" scale. Too much reach for my little hands and the strings are just too tight like steel rods. Not my thing. My backup bass is a G&L L2500 Tribute and I find it way more comfortable to play so it's become my main bass for now.

So what in your opinion is the best 34" scale 5 string?
  2. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

If you dig passives I'd throw a vote in for the Yamaha BB1025X (or if thats a bit too 'spensive then the 425X).
  3. Up the dose

Up the dose Supporting Member

Stingray or Sterling.Take your pick.
  4. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Anything Music Man.Fenders are great too. I just got an American Deluxe Jazz 5 and it's right up there with my Bongos and Sterlings.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

What's wrong with your G&L?
  6. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

warwick... Excellent
  7. fragernackyl

Nothing wrong with the G&L, but I'm looking to get something special in a 34" scale.
  8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

L2500s are pretty awesome. If you like the modulus try to trade for a flea5 maybe ... old spector ns5, warwicks, sadowsky, all great ... Stingray 5 is enough like an l2500 that i dont see the point there.
  9. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Best 34" 5 stringers I've owned (and I've owned puh-lenty):

Wilkins Roadtested P/J5 (18mm)
    Carvin B25 (19mm)
    Carvin SB5000/B50 (19mm)

All have great B's and are insanely comfortable to play. If you can get over the snob-factor on Carvins, they are, IMHO, among the very best 34" 5 stringers available, especially for the money and with the customizable options. Actually, I'd put these up there with/past the 35" scales I owned (plenty of them, too).
  10. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Nordstrand VJ5C. Game over.
  11. Systolic

Systolic

Have I played A TON of 5'ers? No. But of the dozen or so brands/models that i've spent a decent amount of time with, Warwick has had the best B string as a whole. Tone likability is subjective. Not to mention you can really set intonation and string spacing to your exacts needs with that crazy bridge system.
  12. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

13. KingRazor

KingRazor

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/best-34-5-string-bass-739744/
  14. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

15. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

16. Samophlange

Samophlange

I have to agree with one of the early posts in the other thread.

Get a used Pedulla.
    I've been playing my 6er for almost 20 years (good lord, I'm getting old...), and for a 34", the B string is super sold sounding. No flop/rattle. MVP for the win.
  17. B String

B String Supporting Member

There are many great 34in scale five strings with tight articulate B's. Seems like Nordstrand basses have consistanly had great B strings, and I've played a lot of them.
    Nice rolled fingerboards like the old Fender's too.
  18. Kael

Kael

Nordstrand VPJ5 game won in overtime...

Seriously, what are you looking for? Modern vs passive tone? String spacing? Do you need to get an instrument with a more traditional appearance? How much weight are you kosher with? etc...
  19. fragernackyl

I'm looking for fairly modern time. Passive or active. I love the sound of Zon and Ken Smith. A 34" scale Zon Sonus might just be the ticket. I'd probably trade my Q5 (and some cash probably) to get a Zon.
  20. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Zon might sound a little more organic. but Q5 > Zon seems like a lateral shift. not all that different. Anybody else?