1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best 4x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TheKnight, Jan 12, 2014.

1. TheKnight

TheKnight

Wich is the best one for trash metal music?
  2. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

This is my favorite. Ampeg 410he. Its NOT ported, much closer tone wise to the 810e (also not ported) which in my opinion is awesome but I just got tired of moving it and borrowing trucks to haul it.

Attached Files:

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Trash metal? Anything that gets loud will do.
  4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Again, there is no such thing as "best". Best is whatever "best" means to you. :eyebrow:

MM
  5. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Another recommendation for a sealed cab. Either the Ampeg or the Hartke Hydrive, depending on which tone you like.
  6. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

I've recently become interested in the HyDrive cabs. I haven't had the chance to play one, but I'm interested to know what they sound like.
  7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Ampeg 410he or hartke hydrive 410
  8. swamp_bass

I would describe it as tight, controlled and clean. People who prefer a warmer, more classic tone don't care for them much. To me, they're the cat's meow.
  9. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I love my sealed cabs. But, for trash metal, wouldn't you rather have a ported cab, which would give you a bigger bottom end? In that case, I would give a big thumbs up to the Aguilar GS410. It is definitely the preferred cab of a friend of mine that plays metal (on bass).
  10. Willie The Pimp

Willie The Pimp

Trace Elliot 1048-big fat sound, nice and punchy. A bit heavy though, but mine is the dog's bollocks, it's from the early 90's before Gibson took over and fecked everything up.
  11. inri222

inri222

Ampeg 410he or Hartke AK
  12. swamp_bass

Good point; even within thrash metal, there's quite a bit of variation on how people rock their cabs. My vote for sealed is due to the heavy de-tuning many bands use, coupled with the fact that few ported cabinets are tuned below 45Hz. Unless the player is careful to high pass his sound, the sealed cabs provide better cone control at the lower freq's. Safer bet for most cases.

But it really depends on which frequency bands the bassist is looking for volume in, and how carefully they're setting their EQ. When I saw Dethklok, they were rocking the crowd with sub-40Hz bass. But Machine Head was eq'd more in the standard upper bass ranges, for which a ported enclosure would better serve with its efficiency.
  13. swamp_bass

BEAST!!! :bassist:
  14. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Them old Trace Elliot boxes will do very well if you don't mind the weight.
    Also if you are good and strong old Eden 4x10 cabs are good if you turn the tweeter down or just take the fuse bulb thingy right out.:bassist:
    You don't want too much fizz with the fuzz.:)
  15. swamp_bass

Played on an old Trace Elliot 2x10 the other weekend at GC, and it was by far my favorite 2x10. Too bad it's out of production, or I would have considered a short stack as my ultimate flexi-rig.
  16. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

IMO ported cabs sound great at home or without a pa but are overly muddy onstage. When it comes to rock and metal the ampeg 810e which is sealed is by far the most popular cab for bassists in big rock and metal bands. I send an xlr from my sans amp to foh so i have no low end roll off in that signal. Also a huge amount of power in your rig is wasted in low tuned ported cabs to try to produce those low frequencies that are often useless anyways because the PAs i play through normally have the lows rolled of at 40hz or above. As far as low tunings. I can personally distinguish super low notes better with a sealed cab. My 7 is tuned g#beadgc to cover the various tunings my guitar players use. No complaint about how my low g# sounds through the 410he.
  17. ryco

ryco

GK 410 MBE. Light weight and can handle lots of power.
  18. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    id be interested in auditioning some lighter weight 410s that are of the sealed type...
  19. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    I prefer sealed cabs. I dont like tons of low end because it fights with the kick drum. Im using an 810E but Im going to pick up a 410HE. If you like ported cabs look in to the Hartke XLs. Thats the cab of 80s thrash.
  20. mikenel169

mikenel169 Supporting Member

I found an avatar 410 ,4ohm, 1000 watt for $70 at GC last year. Even new these cabs are great sounding. Get the neo version, light and great tone IMO.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/best-$70-ive-spent-974106/