1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best 5 String for under a Grand???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hollar, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

Hey y'all,

I normally hang out on the Double Bass Forums as I'm primarily an upright jazz player. I do however, own a very nice Modulus Jazz 4 string that I enjoy using for certain gigs and recording sessions.

I'm considering joining a full-time Rock/Blues/Funk band and need to get a happening (yet affordable) 5 string to cover the lower register in the material.

I owned some fancy 5's in the past including a Zon, but didn't care much for the feel of the B string due to the 34" scale.

Any suggestions on a decent 5 with 35" scale under a thousand bucks? Any comments appreciated. :bassist:

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Lakland Skyline 55-02 or 55-01 :)

3. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Peavey Cirrus

you can thank me later ;) ;)

4. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

Reverend, if you can find a used one.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Pretty sure theres a lakland skyline JO5 with a sadowsky pre in the classifieds right now for under a kilobuck. I almost bought it, but went for a DJ5 instead, mostly because I wanted a rosewood board. The skylines are amazing basses. Go get it!!!

7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Used Ernie Ball MusicMan 5. That's my major GAS right now anyway. ;)

8. T. B. Player

T. B. Player

Jason -

I'll meet you at Seton Hill University (since I teach there too) and give you my Ibanez SR805 to try!! It's a 34", but you can see what you think for a lot less than under a grand. It's fretted, but are you looking for fretted or fretless? Send me a PM if you'd like!!

9. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes!

A new Lakland Skyline Jo5 will run you a little over a grand; under for a new one. Would work great for blues/funk/rock. The 55-02 might be a little more versatile, but the Jo will nail the funk!
    IMO

10. Tbirdbassist

Tbirdbassist

Yamaha TRB 1005, Brand new its $799.

11. Aj*

Aj*

+10000000000000000

35" scale, neck through, nice electronics, excellent feel, I'm looking at getting a 6 stringer in a few months to expand my range.

12. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Another vote for the Peavey Cirrus. Don't let the Peavey name fool you. I owned 5 of them over the last several years and were it not for the fact that I finally saved enough money to buy my beloved Roscoes, I'd still be playing them.
    They're fantastically built, extremely comfortable to play and best of all have KILLER tone! I personally think there isn't anything out there that can touch them for less than $2K.
    You will end up kicking yourself if you don't at least try one out before you make a decision. They are readily available in your price range new or used.
    Good luck!

13. hasadari

hasadari

Spector Legend 5 - $650 street

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Last two 5's I bought:
    Reverend 5L used: $400
    G&L Tribute 2500: $299

I like them both very well though the G&L isn't 35" scale the B is still pretty tight, and it has more tonal flexibility. Maybe not "more tone," as I really dig both the Rev and G&L tones, but more flavors anyway...maybe...the Rev has some switching ability too...both of these work well in the jazz/r&b/blues genre's, and both sound really good with either flats or rounds...

A used Reverend BH5 would *kill*...

15. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Used Spector Euro.

16. hujo

hujo

Definitely the JO5, I love mine.

17. Discgraham

Discgraham

Ibanez makes some nice B's in both the SR and BTB lines.

18. christle

christle Supporting Member

Definitely the Peavey Cirrus for all the reasons listed here. Also look to the Ibanez SR line and the Yamaha BB and TRB lines. Another often overlooked bass is Godin. They make a really nice 5 string.

19. poor_gear_whore

poor_gear_whore

+1 on the godin! they are really nice basses. Also check out the carvin xb75 if you have a chance.

20. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Cort Artisan A series.

Through neck.

Barts.

Active passive switch.

done deal.

21. greg

greg

MTD Kingston Heir with Sadowsky strings freakin rule. They only cost $700 brand new as well. Send me a P.M. if you want to know more and see pictures of mine.