best 500w amp head ???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by himluis1, Nov 13, 2012.

1. himluis1

himluis1

i bought a MIM fender deluxe active jazz bass and now,im looking for a good bass amp around 500w and a 4x10 cab ... let me know ur opinions ... i was looking on tc electronic bh500 and GKmb 500 still not decided
  2. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

You should put this in the Amp section.
  3. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

I love my GK RB700-II 480 watts at 8 ohms. If I was getting another 410 I would get the GK Neo, but as you can see I like GK.
  4. himluis1

himluis1

i forgot lol but also want some opinions on which amp works better with my type of bass
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mitchinboxer

Mitchinboxer

You have a Fender, it will be hard to find an amp that doesn't work with it
  7. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Time to be a Jack@$#. Go takeyour bass to GC and try out every head there. I did that with my 2002 and ended up getting an Ampeg Half stack for $400 on CL. (4x10 and a SVT350h head.) Works great wiht my American Deluxe P
  8. nickrs540

nickrs540

^^ Second this. Go try out every head you can, You never know what you will like the sound of.... and a Fender will work with everything, same with any bass.
  9. himluis1

himluis1

this may sound stupid but do you have to have an exact amount of watts in order for your bass to sound at its best ??? im ok with 200 or 300 watts but do i need more than that to really enjoy the best of my bass ?
  10. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Not at all! I play shows with my Ampeg SVT350h with the Pad on! And only about half volume at shows/Practice and when at home I hardly have it on (live in an apartment on the second floor. Neighbors don't like the rumble :\ ) when at my house yet I still enjoy it! I just can't get my "sound" when its that low... But its okay because I practice once a week with my band so I get to jam and be loud then :3

350h obviously has 350 watts :p
  11. milkman2k10

milkman2k10

Aguilar Tone Hammer 500. Done Deal.
  12. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

I'm digging my Carvins, but you can't sample them at GC.
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    They all sound good with a Fender Jazz. Markbass. Genz Benz, Ampeg, GK.........
  14. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Used Thunderfunk is the way to go! or that micro Markbass 12" combo, but it runs about $900 at GC. or those GK heads/ultralight combos... or the Ampeg portaflex stuff... or, well you get the picture.
    Just a lot of good stuff out there these days, the trick is to find the one that speaks to YOU. Try before you buy if possible.
  15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Moved to Amps forum.
  16. Gtripdub

Gtripdub

ag th500..perfect
  17. klejst

klejst

The Orange Terror Bass 500 is a 500w head that comes to mind. Good power/volume and offers pretty decent tone controls. It also (is advertised) operates at the full 500w at both 4 and 8 ohms. Orange makes some nice stuff, however I always find it kind of overpriced and a bit overrated compared to some other gear out there.
  18. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Ampeg PF500. Solid piece of machinery. The matching cabs (Portaflex cabs) are alright as well, and match it quite well.
  19. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Whatever GK amp that fits your budget. Both the MB and RB series heads are great.
  20. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

If you're looking at hi-fi sounds check out the TC electronic. Its basically in my experience a better GK. I'm not a fan of that lifeless, digital voicing though. Check out the Ampeg and the Orange. Both will sound more organic and warm and go great with a classic(ish) Fender Jazz like you're saying. If you reeeeally want nice modern amp tones that still have some feel, check out Phil Jones. He makes the best modern tone stuff available as far as I can tell. Markbass might get you a bit of both though (warm and hi-fi).
  21. xring

xring

I picked up the MB500 as a backup, occasional use head. Lately at prac, I've been pushing my Fender 610 Pro with it and love the tone. I'm going to gig it this weekend instead of using my rack unit. It pushes the 610 fine with lots left on the go knobs.