1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best A/B Y Box?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bdeaux, Feb 21, 2014.

1. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier!

Disclosures:
    Branden Campbell
    What I really want to do is the reverse of this, and have my bass and Moog synth go into the same input of my pedal board. I've tried products from JHS. Palmer, Whirlwind, Divided by 13, and they all weaken the bass guitar signal. Drastically, like 10db. The keyboard level isnt weakened. Thoughts? Thanks!

2. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Boss AB-2 works great, similar use here, two bass guitars into one amp. And is cheap.

3. hazmatt

hazmatt

i use the standard live wire version from guitar center. nothing fancy, but works just fine to split my signal between two amps. doesn't need a battery, though if you have one it will light up an LED

4. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    If you use a passive aby, the stronger signal will load down the weaker if you engage both inputs simultaneously. So the active keyboard is likely killing the output of your passive bass. You need an active preamp type selector or mixer to pull this off. If you are using an active aby that is intended to send to 2 outputs, that's not going to work right backwards.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scotch

Disclosures:
    Have you tried a Boss LS-2 or Radial Bassbone? These are easy to find and can pull off what you want. (Bang for the buck & simplicity, the LS-2 is what I would use.)

7. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

Oops, I didn't read your post properly. This probably isn't what you're looking for.

Attached Files:

8. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Media:
    +1
    This will do it. They are for sale here in the classifieds all the time.

9. scotch

Disclosures:
    Right. A traditional active (buffered) aby like the Radial Amp Switcher will not work 'backwards' for the op. That is a great choice for routing 1 input to 2 outputs though!

10. scotch

Disclosures:
    I wonder which Palmer pedal the op tried? They make a perfect product to do what he wants as well, the Trinity instrument selector. It has 3 independently buffered inputs with one output.

11. scotch

Disclosures:
    The only switcher that Divided By Thirteen makes (that I'm aware of) is not going to work backwards & would indeed screw up a passive bass signal when used that way!

12. spectordee36

spectordee36

13. mormoyboy

mormoyboy

The Lehle pedals are amazing!
    I have the little Lehle and it allows for stereo/ balanced operation as well!

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

As a bassist/synthesis, may I suggest a small mixer instead. Something like the Mackie 402VLZ4 would be perfect, as it has a switch for line/instrument level, and can handle stereo if needed. Lehle also makes great AB/Y boxes, but the mixer would allow for volume control per channel.

15. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier!

Disclosures:
    Branden Campbell
    Hey dudes, I tried an active AB box and still wasn't stoked on the tone vs the purity of bass straight into amp. I'm now sending Synth to its own channel. This wasn't an option previously. Problem solved. Might have a never used Bassbone for sale... Bought one online, arrived after problem was solved. Might keep it for fun.