1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best active preamp for P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lttoler, Feb 5, 2007.

1. lttoler

lttoler

I have a P-Bass that currently has a Seymour Duncan SJB-3 installed, but I would like to add an active preamp for more tonal control. Can anyone give me suggestions on what would work best with this setup? Thanks!
  2. joelb79

joelb79

Aguilar OBP-2. I cant imagine you would want to add MIDS to a P, so a boost/cut in bass/treble might be what the doctor ordered.

The OBP-2 is small, easy to install, can be used in a stacked knob (no new holes). The tricky part, 9v's don't fit well in P Cavities, and removing the pickguard to change batteries will get old.

Solution, go outboard.
  3. A9X

A9X

Ditto the OBP.
  4. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    all the P-bass activation mods I've done have utilized an Aguilar OBP-1 at 18v. this gives me a pair of stacked knobs and the jack in the original spot

* Vol / Passive tone
    * Active Bass / Treble
    * on / bypass micro toggle
    * dual battery box added to rear side of body

I like the OBP-1 because it is pretty much transparent when set flat. I like the stacked knobs because I can always run the P-bass in passive mode.

And from a distance, you can't really see the micro switch so it looks like an 'unmolested' P-bass should

all the best,

R
  5. dunamis

dunamis

Hey Ro! One question-- why have a switch?

I was under the impression that the OBP was essentially in passive mode when the bass and treble controls are both all the way off. Was I misinformed?:confused:

Matt
  6. remo

remo

hey Ro.. how did you accomadate the 9V battery with your OBP? route??