Best active preamp for P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lttoler, Feb 5, 2007.

1. lttoler

lttoler

I have a P-Bass that currently has a Seymour Duncan SJB-3 installed, but I would like to add an active preamp for more tonal control. Can anyone give me suggestions on what would work best with this setup? Thanks!
  2. joelb79

joelb79

Aguilar OBP-2. I cant imagine you would want to add MIDS to a P, so a boost/cut in bass/treble might be what the doctor ordered.

The OBP-2 is small, easy to install, can be used in a stacked knob (no new holes). The tricky part, 9v's don't fit well in P Cavities, and removing the pickguard to change batteries will get old.

Solution, go outboard.
  3. A9X

A9X

Ditto the OBP.
  4. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    Owner/Founder/Builder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    all the P-bass activation mods I've done have utilized an Aguilar OBP-1 at 18v. this gives me a pair of stacked knobs and the jack in the original spot

* Vol / Passive tone
    * Active Bass / Treble
    * on / bypass micro toggle
    * dual battery box added to rear side of body

I like the OBP-1 because it is pretty much transparent when set flat. I like the stacked knobs because I can always run the P-bass in passive mode.

And from a distance, you can't really see the micro switch so it looks like an 'unmolested' P-bass should

all the best,

R
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dunamis

dunamis

Hey Ro! One question-- why have a switch?

I was under the impression that the OBP was essentially in passive mode when the bass and treble controls are both all the way off. Was I misinformed?:confused:

Matt
  7. remo

remo

hey Ro.. how did you accomadate the 9V battery with your OBP? route??