1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best amp for a Stingray

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TjMetalhead, Feb 14, 2014.

1. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

I'm going to be getting a stingray musicman by the end of this month and I don't have a gigging rig yet. That will be next big purchase, the amp I settled on will probably be an Ampeg SVT7PRO used, but I don't know what cabinet to get, I want the Avatar B212 but I don't know how it'll sound through an avatar since I never played one. What set up sounds good for a musicman? Any suggestions?
  2. Geri O

Geri O

I'm having great luck with an EBS Fafner bass head. I'm currently using a 410 and a 115 SWR WorkingPro speaker cabinets, so I imagine that it'll be even better when I get genuine EBS speaker cabinets.
  3. Mark_70

Mark_70

Boy - the Stingray is a hard sound to mess up. If you have the option, I would suggest taking it to a store and try some stuff; see what you like!

Regards
    Mark
  4. Down_Low

Down_Low

Yeah you really can't go wrong. Try out a bunch with your stingray, and don't just get the Ampeg just because it's an Ampeg (but if that's what works for you then go for it!).

Personally, I love the Aguilar tone, but everyone's got a different opinion.
  5. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oh I know how amazing Stingrays are its just, I went to one of my local music stores yesterday and tried out a stingray they had just like the one I'm getting and it didn't sound that good...the sound was very flat and weak on it, I don't know if it was the bass, the pick up, the strings, or the battery, it was discounted 1,174, so I assume it's defective and I hope the one I'll be getting will be what I've always dreamed of. so maybe I'm just being paranoid because this is the first expensive high end bass I have ever bought and I don't want to regret spending $1500
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

This is how I get it done with my Ray and Ampeg.

[​IMG]
  7. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Probably dead strings.
  8. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

damn! that's nice i assume that's a PF500 what are those cabinets?
  9. CL400Peavey

fEARful 12/6/1's. The mid drivers really let the ray shine.
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of a tube amp or GK with my Stingrays.
  11. Gasman

Gasman Supporting Member

Yet again, I agree. I used a GK 800rb with a Stingray for years, then switched to a Mesa Boogie 400. If I were choosing just based upon sound, I'd probably go with the Mesa. If you're gigging a lot, though, I gotta say it might not be worth the effort of lugging that thing everywhere. Very, very heavy.
  12. CL400Peavey

+1

Not an ampeg, but the ray sounds good with a tube amp as well.

[​IMG]

To the OP, if you are looking at an Ampeg, but a full tube amp isnt a possibility, I recommend the Portaflex 800 over the SVT 7-Pro.
  13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

To me, the sound of the Stingray is all about clean, quick, solid-state punch. So any make & model that fits that characterization will probably complement the 'Ray quite nicely. On the boutique high end, that could be a Thunderfunk. On the more affordable, workhouse end of the continuum, the classic answer would be Gallien Krueger.

Personally, there's no way I would ever bury the Stingray crispness & clarity by pairing it with Ampeg mud. It would be kind of like pouring barbecue sauce all over a delicate vanilla cake with frosting.

MM
  14. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    Well, it could be that it's just not for you. I own a classic and a standard. I prefer the classic overall. I usually gig with a Peavey tube head and that seems to help warm up the standard, but the classic works well with anything. I had to adjust pickups on both. I will be modifying the standard to sound more like the classic. The 2-band EQ is more versatile than the 3-band believe it or not. The crazy phase response of the original circuit yields a lot of mojo in the mids.

The type of strings seem to make a huge difference on Stingrays. Ernie Ball works great IMO...go figure. I run a 0.105" EB cobalt set on the standard to beef up the tone and also because I'm using it down-tuned at the moment. The classic is great with a 0.100" or 0.095" EB set.

Get the classic. Mine was second hand, but mint for $1200.
  15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Any amp can be used with any bass. Its just a matter of knowing how to use the EQ.
  16. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Gallien-Krueger MB Fusion

Either the 500 or 800 watt version. And find some cabs to go with it.
  17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The 400 is roughly half the weight of an SVT, and both sound glorious with a Stingray. Lugging tubes are so worth the effort IMO.

Mesa Prodigy is 29lbs and sounds very similar to my 400+. It's a breeze to schlep, but I'd still be using my 400+ if I didn't have one. Or a 1001RB-II/700RB-II/800RB/400RB...
  18. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of how my Stingray sounds through my Orange Terror Bass. Stingrays can sound thin; the Orange thickens everything up nicely.

[​IMG]
  19. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

epifani ul501

yep
  20. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I found that my Stingrays sounded great with almost anything.... SVT-CL, GK Fusion MB and 550, GB, Aguilar, Mesa M9 and D180 and Jule Monique.

I generally like a tube amp or some kind of tube pre, but Stingrays tend to sound good thru just about anything IME....