1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best amp for a Stingray

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TjMetalhead, Feb 14, 2014.

1. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

I'm going to be getting a stingray musicman by the end of this month and I don't have a gigging rig yet. That will be next big purchase, the amp I settled on will probably be an Ampeg SVT7PRO used, but I don't know what cabinet to get, I want the Avatar B212 but I don't know how it'll sound through an avatar since I never played one. What set up sounds good for a musicman? Any suggestions?

2. Geri O

Geri O

I'm having great luck with an EBS Fafner bass head. I'm currently using a 410 and a 115 SWR WorkingPro speaker cabinets, so I imagine that it'll be even better when I get genuine EBS speaker cabinets.

3. Mark_70

Mark_70

Boy - the Stingray is a hard sound to mess up. If you have the option, I would suggest taking it to a store and try some stuff; see what you like!

Regards
    Mark

4. Down_Low

Down_Low

Yeah you really can't go wrong. Try out a bunch with your stingray, and don't just get the Ampeg just because it's an Ampeg (but if that's what works for you then go for it!).

Personally, I love the Aguilar tone, but everyone's got a different opinion.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oh I know how amazing Stingrays are its just, I went to one of my local music stores yesterday and tried out a stingray they had just like the one I'm getting and it didn't sound that good...the sound was very flat and weak on it, I don't know if it was the bass, the pick up, the strings, or the battery, it was discounted 1,174, so I assume it's defective and I hope the one I'll be getting will be what I've always dreamed of. so maybe I'm just being paranoid because this is the first expensive high end bass I have ever bought and I don't want to regret spending $1500

7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

This is how I get it done with my Ray and Ampeg.

[​IMG]

8. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Probably dead strings.

9. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

damn! that's nice i assume that's a PF500 what are those cabinets?

10. CL400Peavey

fEARful 12/6/1's. The mid drivers really let the ray shine.

11. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of a tube amp or GK with my Stingrays.

12. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Yet again, I agree. I used a GK 800rb with a Stingray for years, then switched to a Mesa Boogie 400. If I were choosing just based upon sound, I'd probably go with the Mesa. If you're gigging a lot, though, I gotta say it might not be worth the effort of lugging that thing everywhere. Very, very heavy.

13. CL400Peavey

+1

Not an ampeg, but the ray sounds good with a tube amp as well.

[​IMG]

To the OP, if you are looking at an Ampeg, but a full tube amp isnt a possibility, I recommend the Portaflex 800 over the SVT 7-Pro.

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

To me, the sound of the Stingray is all about clean, quick, solid-state punch. So any make & model that fits that characterization will probably complement the 'Ray quite nicely. On the boutique high end, that could be a Thunderfunk. On the more affordable, workhouse end of the continuum, the classic answer would be Gallien Krueger.

Personally, there's no way I would ever bury the Stingray crispness & clarity by pairing it with Ampeg mud. It would be kind of like pouring barbecue sauce all over a delicate vanilla cake with frosting.

MM

15. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    Well, it could be that it's just not for you. I own a classic and a standard. I prefer the classic overall. I usually gig with a Peavey tube head and that seems to help warm up the standard, but the classic works well with anything. I had to adjust pickups on both. I will be modifying the standard to sound more like the classic. The 2-band EQ is more versatile than the 3-band believe it or not. The crazy phase response of the original circuit yields a lot of mojo in the mids.

The type of strings seem to make a huge difference on Stingrays. Ernie Ball works great IMO...go figure. I run a 0.105" EB cobalt set on the standard to beef up the tone and also because I'm using it down-tuned at the moment. The classic is great with a 0.100" or 0.095" EB set.

Get the classic. Mine was second hand, but mint for $1200.

16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Any amp can be used with any bass. Its just a matter of knowing how to use the EQ.

17. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Gallien-Krueger MB Fusion

Either the 500 or 800 watt version. And find some cabs to go with it.

18. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The 400 is roughly half the weight of an SVT, and both sound glorious with a Stingray. Lugging tubes are so worth the effort IMO.

Mesa Prodigy is 29lbs and sounds very similar to my 400+. It's a breeze to schlep, but I'd still be using my 400+ if I didn't have one. Or a 1001RB-II/700RB-II/800RB/400RB...

19. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of how my Stingray sounds through my Orange Terror Bass. Stingrays can sound thin; the Orange thickens everything up nicely.

[​IMG]

20. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

21. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    I found that my Stingrays sounded great with almost anything.... SVT-CL, GK Fusion MB and 550, GB, Aguilar, Mesa M9 and D180 and Jule Monique.

I generally like a tube amp or some kind of tube pre, but Stingrays tend to sound good thru just about anything IME....