Best amp for acoustic jam...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by slap5string, Feb 9, 2013.

1. slap5string

slap5string

Im in need of a small amp to help push me above the guitars when we play acoustically. I have a Takamine 4 string and get completely lost (drown out) when jamming w 2 6-string and a 12 string and 3 vocalists. Sometimes we just show up, find a corner in a local bar or even out on a deck or patio and do an impromptu jam. So I was looking for something small, portable, light, but that can still deliver low end thick enough to fill in the bottom but not be too boomy. Im open to using either my acoustic or electric bass, whichever will sound the best. We are playing 70's music (ie. Doobies, America, BTO, Zepp...). Thanks for your suggestions...

2. blastjv

blastjv

My little acoustic b20 would be perfect (and you can find them easily for abut $75 used)

3. spacebassed

spacebassed

I play a lot of acoustic music and an Ampeg B15 absolutely kills in that situation, but there are a lot of newer lightweight rigs that would work well too - An Ampeg PF-350 and 1x15" Portaflex cab would be a good choice since the head can be flipped inside the cab for transport. Also, an older Ampeg B100r would do a good B15 approximation as well. The main thing i would recommend is using flatwound strings. I've used roundwound acoustic strings on an ABG and I think it competes too much with the frequencies of the guitars. I like flats because it allows you to set beneath the guitars in the mix - especially since there are no drums to compete with. I see in your sig that you have a P-bass, I'd throw a set of flats on it and see if you don't prefer that to the ABG - I used to try using an ABG to play acoustic music since it "fit", but my sound got instantly better when I started using an electric with flats.

4. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I love my Ampeg B108. Excellent tone in a 28 lbs 25 watt package

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Lots of good choices out there. I use a GK MB115 for practice and smaller gigs. It's a small combo amp, weighs about 35 lbs, and fits easily in the back seat.

It's not the only good choice out there, but it's one of them.

7. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I also have of these and I totally agree

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Corrected the model number for you...it's BA108 ;) I like it too, and if we're talking being loud enough to hang with unplugged acoustic guitars, sound very good with a solid low end, and cost the least amount of money, it's totally the amp to get IMHO. I use mine for practices with my band, occasional low volume jazz gigs, etc. If you can afford to go BA110, it sounds better, has more volume capabilities, and isn't much harder to schlep, but the BA108 rules in its price range. Won't make you forget about the B-15 but for $100 or even less if you can hold out till the Presidents Day sales, I haven't played an amp that touches it.

9. MakoMan

MakoMan

I use a Traynor Dynabass TB50 for acoustic jams and smaller gigs where I don`t want to haul a bigger rig. It`s 50 watts with a 10`` speaker, and weighs only 18lbs.
    It also has a balanced line out and tilts back so very easy to use as a monitor if you can plug into a PA.
    I`ve previously tried a few others for this purpose, including the Fender Rumble 15, Ampeg BA108, Ibanez SWX20 and Ibanez IBZ10B. All were OK for basic acoustic jams and practice, with the Ampeg probably being the best of the bunch. However they were all were pretty much useless in a monitor situation for anything else.
    Surprisingly, for an acoustic jam the little Ibanez 10 actually provided plenty of volume and bass and only weighed 12 lbs. I used it a lot for that purpose until I got the Traynor.
    I`d also recommend the Acoustic B20. The 10`` speaker makes a big difference and I saw them on sale at MF last month for only $84.99!

10. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

The Peavey Minx 110 is a nice little amp for this purpose.
    Mine was the original model that only accepted an 8-ohm load, and no extension speaker jack.

It is a vented 10" cab and somewhat heavy being made of 3/4" plywood.
    I loaned it to my daughter's bassist, and she blew it up.
    The electronics went into an external enclosure that is small and light weight.
    The cab and driver went into the trash.

If you are into rolling your own, an Eminence S2010 makes a very nice bass cab in 1.0 cubic feet.
    If inclined, you can add an Alpha 6a and 500 or 800 Hz passive crossover for a very nice two-way.

11. sobie18

sobie18

12. lizardwizard28

lizardwizard28

Haha, kinda oxymoronic. Its sad that an acoustic bass needs an amp. Ive seen and played some beauties, but i figure i might as well just use an electric. The acoustics are sooooo quiet!

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Now you know why uprights are gigantic.

14. ggunn

ggunn

Even my Tacoma Thunderchief can use some help sometimes. I've got a little Roland battery driven bass amp that is perfect for jamming with a bunch of acoustic guitar players. It weighs about 5 pounds and runs on 6 AA's.

15. slap5string

slap5string

Thanks for the info! I picked up an Ampeg Micro CL for $299 and for what Im using it for - its perfect. I have 30 days to decide if I will keep it or possibly upgrade to the Micro VR being that it is expandable (can add another 210 cab). I dont know, there isnt one nearby and $549 is a little steep for what Im using it for. Id like to know if anyone has heard both Ampeg Micros and their thoughts on the VR.