Best amp for praise and worship music?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Dec 17, 2013.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Like the title says. I'm less interested in effect pedals and stuff since I'm pretty content with my tech 21 bass driver. What amp are a decent price $100-400 is good for praise and worship music? Something that will help my jazz bass cut through well, my p bass really fill the low end but not too much that it'll overpower everything else. my church has a line6 ld150 spider amp which is really good but little kids kept messing with it so all the settings are wonky even though I factory reset them every single bloody time. We also have a fender rumble 75 or 100 bass amp that was also abused by those who shouldn't be touching equipment.

I'm very protective of their equipment. I hate it when people touch it when they shouldn't but its not even my property so I can't really go all hulk on them unless the among or equipment were mine.

So....rant aside...any suggestions? I am considering buying their line 6 from them or buying my own....and I am interested in a fender rumble. Mind you I don't have a car so I can't take the thing with me everytime. I'd rather leave it at my church under lock and key which only I can access.
  2. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

Everyone's tone might NOT fit you.
    I would go to your local music stores and test amps in the price range.
    If you find something you like, check TalkBass Classifieds and your local Craiglist.

I know www.rmcaudiodirect.com is pretty competitive with their prices if you call or email them!

That being said...

I think the GK MB200 will be helpful.
    It has a Gain knob, 4 band EQ, power button, 1 switch for db pad, another switch for adding contour.
    Pretty small, yet simple, amp that can be loud for 200watts @ 2 lbs.
    For being that light weight, you wouldn't have to worry about leaving it at church, plus you could also use headphones for practice.
  3. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Is the bass going through the PA in any way?
  4. Rob22315

Rob22315

GK would be an excellent choice. Mostly, get something transparent and worry about picking strings and a guitar that best suit worship.
  5. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

This is vital info. From the gist of it I'm guessing your amp is a monitor and your BDDI goes to FOH?

If the line6 is really messed up I wouldn't buy it off the church.
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Save your pennies. Ampeg SVT-CL with two 810e's is really the way to play at church.... :bassist:
  7. TC.65

TC.65

Any Amp you want to use should work fine as long as it's powerful enough to be heard in a full band. I've used a friends Peavey TKO, went from that to a GK 700RB-II and GK 212 Neo. Then I went to a Genz Benz Streamliner 600 with a Hartke HyDrive 410 cab. They all worked very well for Southern Gospel, Contemporary Praise and worship or straight up hard rock. Use the EQ on your amp and your ears and it will be fine.
  8. MyMusic

MyMusic

Well said.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have to agree. Any amp that works and has enough guns for the gig is fine, and if it doesn't sound good, I ain't blaming the amp. That said, Ampeg makes some very lovely amps in your price range ;)
  10. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Up your budget to around $550-$575 and buy this:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?sB=r&Ntt=Ampeg+pf115he
    [​IMG]

I have this rig and paid around $550-$560 for new in the box from Musician's Friend. Of course, you will need to contact Musician's Friend either directly or through email to get this discount. I do this every time I order from them, and I always get better than 20% off their catalog price.

If necessary, you could put a couple of hasps on the amp lid and cabinet and padlock the head inside the cabinet. Good luck with what ever you buy.

FYI, I am not affiliated with Musician's Friend in any way other than being a satisfied customer.

John D

Edit: For a little more, you could upgrade the Amp to a PF 500. This would give you more power and some extra features, including DI out, if you use FOH support.
  11. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

No it is not. We worship in a small room that doesn't allow that.
  12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Checkout the G-K MB series combos, amps, and cabinets.
  13. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

how effective is a rumble 30? And is it more of a practice amp? Its relatively cheap but I still want more eq settings on an amp. Then again I have a bass driver di
  14. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Any amp will do. Simply take a drill and put some holes in the side.

Geddit?!

:bag:
  15. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

I'd go for an Ampeg ba112 (best in the ba line IMO). I love Fender bases and their tube amps but not a fan of rumble stuff. The ba112 has the best classic Ampeg thing going. I own both a ba108 and ba115, they're good but the 112 is better, to me.😊
  16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

For praise and worship, I assume that you're using a J-Bass.
  17. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I use my am. STD. P bass and by Mexican jazz bass evenly.
  18. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

I was referring to the J in J-Bass. :p

The amp that you use depends on how many cubits of space you have available and how visible they want the amp to be. Smaller is probably better in your case. The problem with a small amp is that it can be harder to hear. Putting it on a platform so it is closer to your ear level helps but then you have the problem is visibility. Everything is a compromise. All the amps mentioned are good. I like a 115 cab but that's my preference. You have to audition the amps if you can to see what sounds best for you. Tonal flexibility is important.
  19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

+1

Can't say I find anything unique about P&W bass amps verses the bass amps for "the devil's music where liquor and presumed licentiousness abide." Would you explain? ;)

But seriously, if you are using a Sansamp BDDI, and are not going into a PA, it doesn't seem like you need a lot of EQ on an amp if you are getting your basic color from the pedal.

It seems like what you need is clean power. How about a used GK MB500 or GB Shuttle 6.n and a top quality used 112 (Aguilar, Bergantino, Epifani, GK MBE ll, etc.)?

You might come in close to $600 (well over your budget), but you'd have a rig that would sound great and be expandable due to its modularity. :D
  20. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Considering your issues with others using the stuff I recommend you do what I did after my combo got blown out by the youth band. I bought an Avatar B212 and a Shuttle 6.0 and haven't looked back since. I sold my 6.0 to the other bass player at my church and I leave the cab there. I now use my SL900 and the other bass player still uses the 6.0 he got from me. In situations like that a separate head and cab work well because unless someone else has a head they can't use the cab. You take your head home with you when you are done. You could get a used 212 or 115 and it will more than fit the bill.