1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best Amp Head for Mowtown?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Basstreble, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Basstreble

Basstreble

I'm really trying to get that Jamerson/ Babbitt tone on my bass. I'm using a Fender 62' P bass just like theirs (kind of.) I'm also running whatever head into an old GENZ BENZ enclosure 500W cab. So what amp head do you recommend getting for under $2,000. Thankyou.
  2. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

short answer: Ampeg.
  3. Waynebass

Waynebass

Aguilar db751 cant go wrong
  4. Basstreble

Basstreble

Any specific Ampeg you have in mind?
  5. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

depends on the size of the gig you're playing. For $2K you can get pretty much what you want out of their wares.

For all tubes you can't beat the classic SVT. Hybrids you have a lot to choose from like the PF series. Also the Ampeg Pro7 gets a lot of raves. I happen to like the 100 watts (all tube) V4B myself. If you're recording then I'd be looking at a vintage B-12/B-15.

Edit: keep in mind both Babbitt and Jamerson went pretty much directly into the board when recording. And also the vast majority of their sound is talent, touch, and taste :cool:
  6. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

Precision Bass, '69-'71 blueline SVT /w 6146B's, Ampeg 8x10 /w 30W CTS Alnicos.

...and watch your band go nuts. :D
  7. millsbass5

millsbass5

Ampeg B15. It's what Jamerson used 99% of the time.
  8. username1

username1 Supporting Member

I would go with an ampeg pf500 or svt 7 pro. I can get great motown sounds from my pro 7. If you can handle the weight and dont mind spending $1500 to $2000 on a head i would get an all tube svt classic or vr.
  9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Or an old Kustom "Tuck 'n' Roll" amp- that's what Jamerson used for big live shows. The only Ampeg he had were B-15s. BTW, the Kustom was all solid state too.

It's really about the player, the EQ settings you choose, and having a simple old-style cabinet. I assume of course you've got the P with flats already too.

John
  10. Tuned

Tuned

Gotta have at least the preamp of an SVT, like my SVP-CL. The rest is a matter of how much weight you can tolerate, I settled on medium weight and good power with an IPR 1600 and SWR GIII 4x10. For $2k you could get an SVT head, but then you have to carry it around. You could also get a V4B that needs work cheap, and upgrade it to 130W with 6550's. It'll sound very much like an SVT but you can work it harder for better tone and never blow your cab, probably wind up being half the cost of an SVT too.
  11. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Toro. Or maybe Briggs and Stratton.

Oh, Motown. I thought we were talking gardening...never mind
  12. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    +1

Ashdown ABM series is a good bet also.
  13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Mowers ahead? In Texas, for Mowtown it's John Deere. :D :D :D
  14. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Put some sponge or foam under the strings at the bridge, then use whatever amp you want. Ampeg is always good, Genz Benz Streamliner does a good tube impersonation, and so does the Mesa M-Pulse series heads (600, 360, Walkabout). Just specify the wattage you need, and you'll find an amp that'll make you happy.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jamerson once said that people ask him what he used and he told them, but they were missing the point. I'll let you all figure out what the point is on your own...

;)
  16. Blue

Blue

... never change your strings.
  17. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Is it that, it doesn't matter the equipment you use? It matters what comes out of your fingers, heart and mind?

Like it doesn't matter you use Ampeg, Jimmy? :bag:
  18. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

His hands? :)
  19. Troph

Troph Supporting Member

Honestly, all of the old Motown stuff was recorded to tape via a custom tube DI system, some kind of Fairchild limiter, and a custom mixing console. So nothing on the market today can claim to be "authentic" in yielding those recorded sounds. Everything that claims to is just subjective opinion.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, I think you can make just about any amp with a "tubey" preamp and a nice EQ sound darn close to the Motown recordings. Especially if you feed it a Pbass with flats.

For example, I can get a great old-school thump with my budget Carvin BX500 and a single GK 115 cab if I dial it in. I didn't buy that rig to get that sound, but it's in there.

Also, I found that little technique details are also crucial to keep the sound you're after. For instance, I clip my RH fingernails extra close to avoid any hard finger-style attack, especially if I'm going to be playing any old-school R&B or walking jazz style stuff. (And if I have to switch genres in the same performance, then I'll resort to popping and plucking for attack...)
  20. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

No.

Ampeg B15 NOT used 99% of the time.

It was THIS.