Best Ampeg 810?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by slap5string, Dec 7, 2011.

1. slap5string

slap5string

The GC here in Cleveland has an Ampeg 810 SVT Classic used for sale and I was wondering how this compares to the 810e that I hear so much about. What are the differences? What is Ampegs "flagship" speaker cab?

2. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Find the serial number on the back of the cab, it will help people date the cab.

3. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

They are the same cab. The issue on them is the date. The old 70' s square back "fridge" is generally considered the best. 96-06 were the "dark" years that most don't like. They were made with OSB instead of all plywood. Still a good cab though. The newer 06-present LOUD era cabs are well liked around here also. The new heritage line is said to sound a little different than the others, more like the square back 70's

I'm shopping for an 8x10 myself this week. I have a vintage and a dark era to try out myself.

4. slap5string

slap5string

Ok - I am going up there later today. Is there a way to date the cab right there on the spot. Is the date in the serial number? or does it need to be cross-referenced somehow?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

The S/N on my older Ampeg 810e is "BQWDN50106"

My cab was dated here on Talkbass as a 2001 810e.

If you need anymore help, wait for the day crew to come online, I'm sure many of them are much more knowledgable about Ampeg cabs then I am, hope I was of some help.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

It will either fall under the post-1984 dating scheme on here or the newer Loud dating scheme which started in 2008.

8. slap5string

slap5string

Are they both sealed cabs?

9. grendle

All of the 8x10's are sealed. They switched the drivers a few times I think. The osb years had the "darker" sounding drivers. The 70 's square backs had different drivers see are only rated at 300 watts. I had one of those years ago and they sound great. I haven't played the others much though. A bunch of guys with the dark cabs either like them or switch out 4 of the drivers with jensen mod 50's I believe and say they sound more like the 70's cabs with that speaker combo. The 06 and newer cabs are well liked and considered good (vietnam and China cabs)

10. sad_katz

sad_katz

I don't have personal experience with them, but try to avoid the "OSB years" Ampeg cabs. I think it's the ones from 1998-2006? They tend to sound darker than the usual Ampeg tone (which may or may not be pleasing to you) and OSB cabs are theoretically more brittle than solid wood.

11. grendle

Anyone vouch for how the osb cabs hold up over time? I saw one broken one here ( was in water for some time I believe & the bottom ripped off).

I came across a really great deal on one in good shape, and I think it is a dark era. I kinda cant pass it up for what I'm getting so I will probably be finding out myself.

I don't hear horror stories of svt's falling apart on the road so I would assume they last pretty good. I will probably wait till the tolex gets beat up and have the cab sprayed with bed liner. Saw what that stuff does vs C4 on mythbusters lol, it should help keep the cab together at least.

With all the ampeg junkies here you would think it shouldn't be hard to find some sound clips on the different cabs ( vintage vs dark vs new) but I cant find any. The ones on you tube pretty much suck lol.

12. coreyfyfe

I think it was JohnK that did a thread, or at least a few longer posts about replacing half the speakers in his 810 with Jensen mod 10s. Might have been some sound clips in there.

As far as the OSB, it's usually pretty sturdy but more prone to breakage than plywood, especially if it gets wet, so it's typically used in thicker dimensions than plywood to get the same sturdiness.

13. slap5string

slap5string

What is the benefit in replacing HALF the speakers?

14. daphnebluepbass

daphnebluepbass

15. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Find me someone in Columbus willing to put together an A/B with me. I have a '72 810 and once had a '98 OSB 810e. I used MOD10-50's in that on TB recommendation because all of my speakers were damaged and only 4 were salvageable without a recone or replacement. Sounded pretty good for what it was. :D

16. coreyfyfe

The jensen mods have better high end response but lower power handling. The combination kept the low end response of the original speakers but added the upper-mid/top end of the jensens which apparently when taken together gave the cab a pretty decent tone. The speakers were replace in pairs since internally the ampeg 8x10s are four 2x10 compartments.

17. MediaJones

MediaJones

I tried one and hated it! Was just mud!... Unless thats what your looking for, of course (maybe it would be alright if you were playing pick or slap, or a really crisp SS head finger style).

The Bergantino NV610 is smaller, lighter, & just as powerful- but clear, present and much more harmonious than the ampeg cab. From jibber jabber here and there, I guess the sound is about as close to a vintage ampeg 810 as you can get (like the 70s style Fridge talked about above)... Apparently the 810 legacy only lasted a little bit- But I can tell you that I wouldn't hesitate to buy another bergie after hearing how good the 610 cab sounds.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't even bother with an Ampeg cab unless it was one of the non-OSB/ 70s era ones... Which are gonna be $$$ to find in good enough condition to play on consistently (or gig with for that matter)- While the Bergie is pretty competitively priced, especially for a boutique dealer. You could prob find one in the classifieds used for a bit less than retail

Here the link to the Bergie site- Im somewhat surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet
    http://www.bergantino.com/

18. grendle

Same as the 810E I believe just a different look. AV= Anniversary I believe? Same specs for both models.

They have the vintage look which is cool I guess.

I personally plan to ditch the grill cloth and replace it with the same grill they use on the NEO series, use the original "Ampeg" logo and have my own tag made for the bottom where the "Classic Series" goes With "Grendle Edition" :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

19. grendle

Yep, we all know your Berg is better yada , yada.. but it's still not an SVT and the OP didn't ask about 6x10's or ampeg substitutes. Thanks though.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There is a benefit and a drawback. The benefit is that replacing half (actually, replacing two should be enough) those dark speakers makes the cab sound much brighter without losing anything from the lows. The drawback is that power handling is reduced to what the Mods will handle.

21. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    i have an '06. it is made of plywood. sounds pretty good. is it dark? i wouldn't say dark or muddy at all. i do have to turn the highs (about 2-3 o'clock with my lakland 44-64 with 1/4 pounders(ampeg 7 pro, ampeg pf-500)up a little bit more than my other cabs. although i think that some of my other cabs are way to bright to begin with so maybe thats why i like this 8x10. i think it also has a wonderful slap tone to it. just the right amount of crispness for me. (i don't like the marcus miller slap tone).

i do like the sound of the new 8x10's right now too.