Best Ampeg tech in S.F. Bay Area?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Grissle, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

I have an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro that is dead. I just got an old Fender PA 100, which will allow me to sell my Ampeg SVT-350 to fund the repairs. But I know most tube amp guys shy away from these hybrid amps. So I'm hoping out of the vast TB community someone has had experience with some good tech's in this area.
  2. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

I got a guy named Phil in the Panhandle who does it all for a fair price.
    He is busy, and will give you a free estimate of what it will take to fix it, and let you know up front about parts & labor.

PM me for his number
  3. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

J. Kirkwood Rough - Upstairs Amps. He's at 15 Lafayette (upstairs from Gary Brawer/Real Guitars).

He keeps weird hours but does good work at reasonable prices.
  4. Sartori

Sartori

What part of the bay are you in?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Grissle

I'm actually in Modesto, so its either the Bay Area, Sacramento or Fresno as they're all pretty much equal distances away. So I figured Bay Area to have more options/choices than the others.
  7. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

When I moved back to the Bay Area a few years ago, I asked around with pretty much the same question, and was directed toward the Amp Lab, currently in Campbell, CA. Keith (the owner) has done good and reasonably priced jobs on both my blueline SVT head and my 30th Anniversary Marshall guitar combo, as well as having given me good troubleshooting advice over the phone, when he could have hit me up for bench time.
  8. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I was in Roseville (Sacramento) for 2 years, up until this past August. I took my vintage Ampeg V4 and my vintage SVT to Shane at Tube-Sonic. He's in Sac on the SW side, so maybe not too bad for you from Modesto.

http://tubesonicamps.com/

He did great stuff with both. My SVT was a basket case, too. And another TB'er took his old MusicMan HD130 to him (SS pre plus tube power) with a really weird problem that another tech (or two) spent hours on and could never fix, and Shane fixed that for him, too, with minimal effort.

And if you get up that way, you might stop in and visit Juan at Bass and Beyond. His shop is pretty close to Shane's. Juan is a great guy and he usually has a fair number of really nice higher end basses in stock.

http://bassandbeyond.net/
  9. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I don't know anything about KR. But, I had my Sterling 5 and my SB-2 Pleked and setup by Gary Brawer and he is MAGIC. Free plug for Gary!
  10. kzr750r1

kzr750r1 Supporting Member

11. Sartori

Sartori

I usually take my amps to Euthymia Audio in Alameda. But that's partly because he's the closest good amp tech.
  12. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Is there any reason not to send back to Ampeg?
    I don't know if they do this or not, just asking.
  13. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Another plus for Kirkwood Rough. He built me a small combo back about 1996 when I used to live in the Bay Area; I used it for acoustic gigs and still use it for home practice.

The shop he had in San Jose was like a small warehouse, full of amps and cabinets. It was like a Noah's Ark of amplifiers. I remember seeing everything from SVT to B25 to B15 to Fender, and lot of things I'd never seen before.

http://krlabs.com

Heh...I even recorded Kirkwood's brother Willie---in Kirkwood's house. Just found a youtube of Willie; he's now in Toledo, OH. http://youtu.be/Tf8Bqn_NY0c
  14. Grissle

Way cool, the problem I've had locally is none if the techs will touch hybrid amps. Which is a shame because there are a few real good tech guys here who do repairs and even complete builds for well known people.😢