Best and worst gear purchase of 2013?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jfh2424, Dec 25, 2013.

1. jfh2424

jfh2424

Hi guys, every year I do this. So 2013 is no different.

I am wondering what is the best and worst bass related gear purchase that you did this year? It will be interesting to see if there are several items that come back, post after post.

My best gear purchase will probably surprise you. I bought a mini clip digital tuner Eno ET 33. I got it for like $5 or something (including free shipping) from China. The thing works great, it's compact and it saved me from bringing my much clunkier, bigger tuner. As you can tell, money is tight so I haven't really spent a whole lot on gear this year.

My worst gear purchase I did last year, but it continued this year. Last year, I bought a GK MB 212 combo. Sounds great, but I've had major issues with it. GK has great customer service (bless those folks), but the fact remains that it has failed several times and I must say that it is frustrating to have to deal with this stuff.

And you?

John

2. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Best purchase of the year was an Ampeg classic rig. Been wanting one of these things for years and this one was in mint shape (it's a 2005) and came with heavy duty covers and a brand new speakon cable. It was only 15 miles up the road so it was convienient too. I didn't buy any other stuff this year except for a snark tuner and I really like it so it doesn't qualify for a worst. If I had to pick a worst , it would have to be..... an Ampeg classic rig because I already had two 8 10 cabinets here and the wife is griping about the amount of space they are all taking up now. I think I can manage to survive.:bassist:

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I made several great purchases this year. 1982 MIA Precision for $700, a set of Lindy Fralin pickups to replace the active set up in my 2011 MIA Jazz Deluxe, Martin 12 string acoustic guitar, Fender Acoustasonic amplifier. Worst purchase, an Eden 410XLT cab. The guy advertised it as an XST. When I went to look at it, I found out that it was an XLT. I was able to buy it for $300 but soon realized that I didn't like the sound. I ended up bringing to GC and got $450 toward the Martin that I mentioned above.

4. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

I bought a 1993 Peavey TNT160 for super cheap, at Sam Ash. The store thought something was seriously wrong with it, but I knew the power switch just needed some spray contact cleaner. A couple fixed surface tears and I had a brand new amp, for $160. I swear by the Peavey amp stuff.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Supporting Member

Best: Fender 100T and changing the preamp in my Spector Euro 435lx from the stock Tonepump to the Spector US18v.

Worst: Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe - Not a bad pedal, just didn't work for me.

7. Melonthief

Melonthief

Best-MXR M87 bass compressor
    Worst- planet waves tuner

8. Liam McMonigle

Liam McMonigle

Best-Jackson JS3V in trans black
    Worst- Warwick Blue cab 15 watt. Have no idea why it is called blue "Cab" as its a combo, and any way, it sucks.

9. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

Best: Squier Bass VI & Classic '60 Jazz Bass
    Worst: I bought a cable with a faulty jack...

10. kcole4001

kcole4001

Best: Moog Taurus III bass pedals.
    Worst: ....ummmm, bass pedals, 'cause now I have to struggle to learn to use them effectively. :)
    Really, the worst was a cheap acoustic 6 string. Not a really bad guitar, but a waste of money.

11. GreggBummer

GreggBummer

Best: Zoom Ms-60b

For a $100, you can not beat this little box of wonder. It isn't perfect, but it is without a doubt one of the best multi effects boxes out there.

Worst: Squire Vintage Modified Fretless Bass

Bought from Guitar Center online, it was delivered with major issues. The truss rod was maxed. The bridge was installed improperly so the strings did not cross the pickups correctly. The D sting had reduced output and the G string made no sound at all. The bass or "top" of the bridge was lined up with the top of the bridge pick up. It was inexcusably bad QC on the manufacturers part (Samick). It was missing a screw from the jack plate. However, Guitar Center made it right and refunded my money in full. A week later, I found the bass on the sales floor tagged as new for the original purchase price.

12. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Best - Markbass Big Bang. I was very skeptical about micro bass systems. This sounded so good.....I sold my Aguilar DB359 and DB680!

Best - NOS Accugroove El Whappo speaker cabinet. It is like a studio monitor. Just awesome.

Worst - as always....educational books and DVD's. Not wasting another penny on this stuff. When will I ever learn!? YouTube blows away anything you can buy at retail....and it is free.

13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Worst: Traded a new Squier Classic Vibe Jazz for a Mikey Way Sig Mustang + a little cash. Dollar-for-dollar it was a fair trade and the Mustang itself wasn't malfunctioning or broken in any way. It was just a little too monochromatic for my tastes, even with the addition of new medium-scale nickel rounds (suggested by a great guy at BassStringsOnline). A true "live and learn" moment.

Best: Found a used Classic Vibe (with case included!) on Guitar Center's database that was mis-labeled as a Vintage Modified. Got it for a steal and turned my "live and learn" lesson into "live, learned and lovin' it!"

14. shawshank72

shawshank72

Best Traynor DNB112 w/ 12 inch ext cab
    Worst Peavey Max 115II Combo Amp
    Piece of crap. Returned twice and failed once then sold.

15. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Best a 68' Ampeg B15N with original CTS speaker that I had reconed (avatar).

Worse a Warwick Thumb BO 5 string. Very nice guitar but I bought it impulsively at a pawn shop without checking prices online. Got it for $400 below what they were asking but still paid $400 too much.

16. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Marshall 1992LEM SuperBass, Ampeg V4B, Rickenbacker 4003 - all AWESOME!!

Attached Files:

17. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

18. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

Best=TC electronic pedals with Tone Print, there all cool. The Gibson EB-O with a P-Bass pickup in it is a close second.

Worst= Snark clip on tuner

19. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Almost forgot my new Peavey VB 215 cab! Also excellent!

Attached Files:

20. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Best: Wilkins Roadtested PJ5.
    Honorable mentions: Carvin B25 fretless, TC BG250-115

Worst: Gibson EB5. Crap on so many levels.

21. Jwood

Jwood

Best:'64 AV Jazz Bass, GK MBF 800 and 212 NEO.
    Worst: None yet