Best audio interface under $200?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Jaruquin, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

I'm in the market for a audio interface for my computer. I don't do any crazy recording. Mostly practice threw it and play along with YouTube. I would like one that comes with some software so I can lay down some track but I don't need anything pro. My budget is $200.....any suggestions?

I've bee checking out the Foucsrite Scarlette 2i2.

2. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

PreSonus Audiobox 22VSL.
    $179.
    Comes with Studio One Artist, and the crossgrade to Studio One 2 Artist is cheap.
    Cool little box, highly recommended.

3. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

I love my Focusrite Scarlett 18i6. If that's any indicator, the Scarlett 2i2 should be a reliable option. I actually just ordered one to use for mobile practice. Not having to set up shop next to an outlet is a huge bonus, in my opinion.

My only concern is that you want something with included software. The Scarlett Plugin Suite is awesome (I'm particularly fond of the compressor) but Focusrite bundles Ableton Live Lite 8 with the interface. It's a matter of preference but I was not a big fan of Ableton when I tried it in the past. It felt more appropriate for MIDI sequencing. In that regard, the Presonus that DuraMorte recommends has a slight advantage. Studio One is a capable DAW and it should be easy to get the hang of. My dad uses it with his Presonus and has never complained. I've used it a couple of times on his computer and it was easy enough to get the hang of.

I'm fully impressed by the Scarlett line so I'd have no issue recommending it. If you end up buying it and don't like the recording software, I have an extra copy of Studio One that I'm not using. It's up for grabs if you want it. I'm not sure which version it is (it came with my old AudioBox from a few years ago) but it'll be enough to get you started. For all I know, though, you may be comfortable with Ableton.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hibachiduck

hibachiduck

I love my Tascam US-600

7. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Supporting Member

Tascam US144MKII I've heard is good for the price, comes with Cubase 5le I think..

8. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    Picked up the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 yesterday but haven't had the time to hook it up but will try to get to it tonight or tomorrow sometime. Will post back after giving it a run.

Wally

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I use a Tascam US122L. Cost around $130

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I just got an Avid Fast Track C400 that's been working out quite well for me over the last month or so. Usually $150 but I must have caught Amazon on a good day because I got it for a hundy.

11. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

I ended up picking up the Scarlett 2i2 today. Haven't tried it yet but I talk to a lot of people who recommend it.

12. 3506string

3506string

Focusrite does make a nice product. I just upgraded from a Tascam us800 to a Focusrite 18i6 and Behringer ADA8000. Their hardware and software are more than adequate. I paid less than $400 for both the interface and adat expansion. 18 tracks for under $400 with the ability to run 5 separate monitor mixes. I love the advancements being made in affordable "prosumer" recording.

[​IMG]

13. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

That is a beautiful bass. How about you share some of that glory with some sound clips? ;) Are your soundcloud clips from that config?

You have the recording setup that I had in mind when I bought my 18i6. I have yet to get the ADA800 but it's always been tempting. I'll probably start with a decent preamp and just use the line inputs. It seems more practical since I'm not recording drums at this point. An eight channel converter like that is still on my list since it's the main reason I went 18i6 over 8i6.

Either way, nice recording rig.

14. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Disclosures:
    Tone Bastards Cables
    +1. I use this too and it is killer. I got mine as a birthday gift to myself at GC back in May. Paid $140 for it with a coupon. Great solid box.

15. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Disclosures:
    Tone Bastards Cables
    Also one of the guitarist in my band has the little Focusrite box. Also a very killer option for under 2 bills. I have a Presonus interface in my desk rack for home recordings and love it so my loyalty is with Presonus. There are a few great interfaces out there for cheap. All great suggestions people are making here.