Best bang for buck, lightweight 1x15" cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bedroommuso, Feb 7, 2013.

1. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

This is mainly an another information seeking thread, as a result of my indecision.. I wanted to know some opinions out of the more lightweight (25kg/55lb or less) and cheap 1x15" cabs on the market at the moment, which is the best choice for the money?

I know fulfulling the category of light, loud and cheap doesn't come easy - but let's at least give it a go.

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Best performing precludes it being small, so it must be light but price of neo precludes it being cheap, you ask too much.

You should keep your eyes on the classified section for unwanted neo 10's or 12's. Postage on those is bearable from US. A finished cab will cost 1/3 of an Aussie sourced one.

3. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

I've never owned one, but the Gallien Krueger MB115 is all the rave here on talkbass. I believe it's around 35 lbs, 200 watts, and plenty loud for a band setting and small/medium gigs.

4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Bag End S15D. One of the smallest 15's on the market, less than 50lbs, and very efficient so it's loud. On the used market they are dirt cheap too, since they're not the flavor of the month or year or even decade at this point.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MoeGJBeener

Oops! Just realized you were looking for cab only

7. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

How about a vintage 80s Carvin 1x15? They can be found very cheaply. They aren't that heavy to begin with. You can install your own driver if you prefer. This one has a Carvin (Eminence) 4 ohm driver, but OE driver was 8 ohm EVM 15L.

[​IMG]

My favorite ported 1x15 performs with the best store-bought cabs (Many are similarly designed - ie Orange, Mesa, Trace, etc), and I built it myself (TL606):

[​IMG]

8. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

Sorry I will modify that then.. I didn't specifically the say the cab has to be both equally light, loud and cheap. To clarify, In terms of price and weight, what is the best performing cab out there - it doesn't have to be necessarily loud - but decent speaker/build quality/design etc would be a plus. It's not for some specific studio application or mission critical purpose - it's just for an average player who is looking to maximise their buck and not break their back!

9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

The AccuGroove Tri115 is an excellent 115. 42 lbs.. a 3 way cab.. Most of them come with castors.

I have heard about the MarkBass 115 Neo but I have never heard one.

I have also heard good things about the Epifani PS 115

and the Gallien-Krueger Neo 115-III

and of course the Genz Benz Focus Series FCS-115T

I hear the fearfuls are excellent lightweight cabs as well..

I have heard some of the cabsd mentioned above but the only one I have ever played through is the AccuGroove.. They don't make them anymore but the often come up used in the classifieds here.

10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would look up some TL-606 plans. Build it yourself out of light weight 1/2" ply with a decent bracing scheme. Load it with either a Faital Pro 15PR400 or a Eminence 3015. Might not be your cheapest option, but definitely your best bang/pound/dollar.

11. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

GK NEO 115, ask musicians friend for a discount around 15% & bam

12. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Give Don a call at lds, his price for a 3015 or 15pr400 loaded 15 to your specs will be right on par with anything at guitar center price wise, and blow it away.

13. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Eden Nemesis are very light. But I'll bet there's a better value/weight savings combination.

14. mcm

mcm

Enough with the trends.....bag end

15. MoeGJBeener

I own one. No issues at all. Run my Pignose B100 tube head through it. Sounds great! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1360247271.071987.jpg

16. Russell L

Russell L

No one seems to like Markbass cabs much around here. But, I'm here to testify that they do sound good. Really. I have two Traveler 151P cabs that sound great. 45.75 lbs. each, 400W each, $600 each.

But, I want a Barefaced Compact (27 lbs.). Not cheap, but will be worth it.

17. jlepre

jlepre

I just sold one of my Epifani UL2-115 cabs. I only needed one as they are THAT good. Only weighed 35 pounds, and took all of the 500 watts I drove though it. Used you can find them for about $400.

18. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Another vote for the GK MB115 series ll,,, its 200 watts, 33lbs, looks cool, and is very loud and punchy,,, it can be gigged with if your band is not playing at ear bleeding levels,,, and if you have PA support then it's no problem at all giging with it.

The first generation MB115 combo can be found on the cheap used and the NEW second generation series ll MB115 goes for around $400.00,,, huge bang for the buck and its a killer little combo.

Cheers
    Davyo

19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Note OP is a shy Aussie with a reluctance to invest serious money in a cab.

Shipping cabs from US isn't an option. I very much doubt he would spring for a neo 15 to diy a cab even though that is the biggest bang for a light buck.

20. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

Even if he wasnt looking for a DIY, maybe finding a local builder?

21. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

+1. After doing the research, I have come to the same conclusion. Plus you may only need 1 cab where someone else might need two.