1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Bang for the Buck?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by backin82, Jan 28, 2014.

1. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

I'll admit - I'm not an "effects guy" when it comes to bass. However, I'm starting to explore some basics and was wondering if I could get some help.

One of our guitar players handed me a TS-9 the other day, and I decided to give it a try (I've used them many times for guitar). I actually liked some of the changes I could get with it, and might actually incorporate it into my signal for a couple songs. That said, its obvious that it wasn't designed for bass. It seems to cut a lot of the lows.

So, I'm left wondering if I could get some kind of "all in one" analog pedal - what would it be? I wouldn't mind having some EQ control, compression, and distortion. I've seen a few pedals that have a lot of these options, but I'm not sure exactly what they all do.

Do such pedals exist, or does it make more sense to just get a good distortion or DI pedal and get a separate compression pedal?

2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I wouldn't dismiss digital so quickly for an all-in-one option. The Zoom MS-60b covers a lot of ground for a single pedal, and the sounds compare more than favorably to a lot of the analog filter, compression and EQ pedals I've tried (meaning it sounds better to me in many cases). For $99 it's a steal in the bang-for-buck category IMO.

For dirt I would get a separate pedal, though. If you like the TS9 but want low end, check out a Hardwire CM-2. For even less money and a pretty good, fairly versatile overdrive on bass, look up the Joyo Ultimate Drive. That paired with a Zoom MS-60b will give you a ton to mess with and learn for darned cheap and with only two pedals.

3. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I'm pretty sure most people that are all picky about analog vs digital couldn't tell the difference between the two in blind test.

There aren't very many analog multis out there and the ones that I have seen are expensive. Jumblemind's suggestion is a good one. The newer Zoom multis are a great bang for your buck.

4. Swift713

Swift713

I agree with the above. If you want to try out a bunch of stuff the Zoom B3 or MS-60B are great. You can get some nice overdrive from them with the amp models or the Sansamp or BB models depending on your amplification and what you're going for. I like the FuzzFace model as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If you're just looking to see what all the hubub is about with effects, consider getting a multi effects pedal of some sort. The Zoom B3 is a very affordable option that has a lot of nice sounds inside. The downside is the distortions are known to be somewhat the weak point (they are in most multis IMO). The upside is that you have everything in one pedal, and a whole bunch of other stuff to play with that maybe you didn't think you wanted or wouldn't have tried out on your own.

I always recommend a multi as a way to figure out the sounds you want, then you can always go and get the separates of what you like.

7. backin82

Maybe I should be a little more clear, because my thread title is a little misleading.

I'm looking for basic compression and distortion, and I'd like to avoid digital overdrive if possible. I've used it on guitar a lot, but I prefer analog. Compression and other effects I'm not as picky about. I don't want delays, reverbs, and all that. I have a Line 6 M13 that I use with my electric guitar, but I haven't been happy with the distortions on that - especially for bass. It just sounds bad, even compared to the TS-9.

I want basic, quality compression and distortion and I was wondering if they make a pedal with both or if I need to get two separate ones. I guess multi-fx is an option, but I'm leaning away from it at this point.

8. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Your best bang for your buck for a LOT of distortion sounds would probably be the Empress Multidrive if you want a wide variety of sounds.

But, you should also look at the Source Audio OFD, yes, it is digital, but it is in a class by itself.

9. backin82

I actually just saw one of those the other day for the first time. Our practice space is shared by 3 bands, and one of the bass players uses several of those Source Audio pedals. I'd have to play around with them before I really figured out how to work them. He was showing me how they can be controlled by gestures and other input devices.

Edit: Jeez...that Empress Multidrive looks mind-boggling!

10. bassbrad

bassbrad

I will say before the B3 I was not digging digital dirt, but the B3 has got it going on well enough for live playing in the studio I will still use the analog gear.

The B3 is the bomb, until the next gen Zoom comes along.