1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best bass amp brand?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by skisagooner, May 29, 2010.

1. skisagooner

skisagooner

Marshall is arguably the best guitar amp brand there is, so what's the 'Marshall' of bass amps, in your opinion?

Just wondering.

2. thunderbolt

thunderbolt

3. GaryM

GaryM

The 'Marshall' of bass amps? Marshall.

4. christianharger

christianharger

"Arguably" is right. Get ready for some arguing right here.

The truth is that there is not a "best brand." It all depends on your style and your needs. There's a best brand for you and that's probably not the best brand for me.

If you tell us what styles of music you play and in what kind of venues, you'll get much better answers. That is, if you are looking for a bass amp brand for yourself. If you're just simply wondering what the best brand is, get ready for hell to be unleashed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smogg

smogg

There was a time I would have said Ampeg in a heartbeat. But, with all the new micro heads out it's really really hard to say there is only one king of the mountain is bass-land.
    Just so many great choices out there.

7. bassteban

bassteban

'Best' is probably the most inflammatory word on TB when it is not followed by 'for _______ .' Even then it will very often be a matter of opinion.

8. interstatejoe

interstatejoe

Just curious about what makes you say Marshall the best guitar amp? Laney, Ampeg, Fender, Sovtek, Mesa/Boogie, and even Peavey all make exceptional tube guitar amps that will give any Marshall a run for its money. Marshall just seems to be one of the most popular. Just saying....

As for the best bass amp, I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in an amp.

9. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

Doesn't exist. It's a myth, like the Yeti.

10. rbonner

rbonner

Quagmire and the best fridge cabs? Kelvinator

Attached Files:

jthisdell likes this.
  11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Actually there are boutique amps that are a lot better than Marshall. Like VHT.

For bass I like the tone that Ampeg bass heads generate. But Eden, SWR, GK, Acoustic, and many more will get the job done.

Old school bass amps have a growlly tube tone and new school bass amps have a lot of overhead. I like to get my tone with a smaller amp and then run that tone into a big pa. Then I get aspects of both the old and new amps.

12. waleross

waleross

Most popular are Ampeg ...............:cool:

13. somegeezer

somegeezer

I think the guitards just follow each other. Bassists are more of their own person. We like choice. We try it before we buy it. Those guitarists go straight for Marshall because of the name. In all honesty, I don't even think they are that good. I would take a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier over any Marshall, anyday.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
  15. countrybassist

countrybassist

:D:D:D:D:D

High Camp and sowilson like this.
  16. TheMutt

TheMutt

Disclosures:
    Operations and Warehouse, Guitar Center Rancho Cucamonga
    There is no such thing as best. As long as it gets done what you want it to (color your tone in such a way, keep your tone unaltered, be as loud/quiet as you need, has the ohms handling that you require, has the correct inputs/outputs that you need, is versatile or specialized, is a head or a combo, is tube, hybrid, or solid state, etc etc etc etc etc etc....) then it's YOUR amp, but that doesn't make it the BEST by any stretch.

Now sit back, relax, and get ready to read about how W forum member uses Y amp, X famous person uses Y amp, and Z famous person also uses Y amp and how because of that, Y amp is the best.
    :bag::bag::bag::bag::bag:

17. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

That is funny because the guitar player in my band just bought and Orange head and is using it in place of his Marshall JCM tube head!

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

As far as guitar amps are concerned, I like Vox, Fender, and Mesa Boogie all much better than Marshall. So, that's my opinion. As for bass amps, there's so many great amps available these days, one would be hard pressed to single any ONE brand out from the others.

19. smemm

smemm

Without a doubt Ampeg. Just like Marshall they've made some legendary stuff that sounds amazing, some of the worst crap you'll ever hear and sell a lot of product strictly on massive brand recognition.

20. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

+1 :D

21. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

I have found that rbonner's posts on TB are some of the funniest I have ever read. Gotta love that Darth Vader avatar too!

As for the "best" bass amp?? That is so obvious. It's the one with knobs, an AC cord, one or more round-shaped speakers, some form of shaped box with various grill material, and it generates bass sound.

None of the other bass amps are any good. Trust me on this.

High Camp likes this.