Best Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by apostolicman, May 26, 2012.

1. apostolicman

apostolicman

Hello Guys and Gals, Im in the market for a new bass amp rig. I wanted to get some opinions. This is going to be my last bass amp that I buy. What I'm looking for is the best bass amp regardless of cost. I've beeen concidering Glokenclang, Warwick, Hartke Kilo, etc... What do yall think? I play Gospel,Jazz ,Funk and Fusion. How good is the Hartke stuff anyway and does it stack up with the best stuff out there?

Thanks Apostolicman

2. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Search the forums. You are going to get different opinions on various amps across the board. This question has been beaten to death already.

droo46 likes this.
  3. Shappo

Shappo

If you're into jazz, fusion, funk I would steer into the direction of Glockengang.
    I'd also consider looking into amps from Aguilar, Gallien Krueger, TC Electronic.
    And for speaker cabinets i'd sus out bergantino.
    I'd personally stay away from both Warwick and Hartke.
    You may need to be more specific on what you want. Are you after a bass head and a cab? What kind of tone are you aiming at getting?

4. bassrunner5

bassrunner5

I know that people are really liking the Markbass and Carvin bx amps due to their crazy small size (~5 pounds). Personally, I like the sound of my Acoustic B600H amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like you want a mix of great clean tones and the ability to get a little dirt in your signal path. There are a lot of guys that think an Ampeg SVT-CL and 810e is the end all be all of amps. I think its a great rig, but its not for me. I think there are better options for the sound that I want.

I would start with a cab. For my money a fEARful is the best thing out there. Rock, metal, blues, funk, anything. I have a 1515/66/1 and I can honestly say it is the best cab I have ever played through. I would pair that up with a power amp that put out around 1,000 watts into 4 Ohms. Pick one that works for you, I dig my Peave IPR. Then add your favorite pre-amp. Add a few for different sounds.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No way would I say an Ampeg SVT-CL and 810e is the end all be all of amps. I's say an Ampeg Heritage SVT-CL and Heritage 810e is the end all be all of amps.

:D

Well it's MY end-all be-all, so there! But in the same way that you don't let your dopey internet friends pick out a girlfriend for you, don't let your dopey internet friends pick out an amp for you. Price doesn't enter into it, brand name doesn't enter into it...nothing else matters except how tight in the pants you get when you play through it.

8. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

I freaking love the SVT-CL and Heritage 810 that I play through at my BL's house. I'm inclined to agree that it's my end-all be-all as well.

9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

G-K Fusion 550 and the G-K NEO412 gets my paints tight every time and a smile on everyone's faces. :D

Joe Louvar likes this.
  10. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I agree with JimmyM...Ampeg......or maybe Genz Benz...Hmmm...GK's are pretty sweet...Markbass is cool too...Mesa Boogie rocks....810,412,410,212,215....awww f@#k it!...there all awsome!!! Just make sure it's LOUD!!!!
    (AND WEAR SOME FRIGGIN EAR PLUGS DUDE!!!)

11. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Last bass amp yer gunna buy.....YEAH RIGHT!!!....how many times have I told myself that one before.

12. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Are ya gonna leave it at church, or take it back and forth? Do you have a van or an econobox? If you need to play the house, that's one thing, but if you just need a pole-mount or kick-back so you can hear yourself, that's way different. How boomy is your church? How loud is stage volume? The answers to these questions will help you narrow things down a good bit.

13. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Also, do you want solid state, tube, hybrid? Do you need it to be light weight and portable? These are some factors you need to take in to consideration.

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

If this were 1992 instead of 2012, I would suggest "Go Eden". But Eden gear (at least the current stuff) isn't what it once was, because Eden as a company isn't what it once was. :meh:

As Eden's fortunes have faded, those of Genz Benz have brightened - as Genz Benz seems to have inherited the Eden imprimatur for clean, yet warm-sounding gear that just happens to sound great...especially for playing gospel, jazz, funk & fusion. Seriously, it would be hard to wrong with Genz Benz.

Alternatively, there is David Norschow Amplification (DNA) - which is sort of Eden 2.0. Epifani could be a great choice as well. Also consider EBS. And don't forget Euphonic Audio (EA). All excellent stuff. (No suggestions about particular models though...)

In general, I would stay away from the rougher, rawer rock 'n' roll gear, and stick with something more hi-fi and refined:

Genz Benz
    DNA
    Epifani
    EBS
    Euphonic Audio

MM

15. winegamd

winegamd

I was not that impressed with the DNA stuff. I also think the epifani stuff is too much of a one trick pony. EBS is ehhh. EA cabs are awesome, and their heads are great if that ultra pure tone is your thing.

If I were going to buy the last amp ever, I would look at the GB shuttlemax as they are the best compromise for everything. Clean if you want it, or a little tube warmth is available if pushed. As for cabs, bergantino all the way for commercial. If you want custom, then the fearful are the current new hotness and have plenty of science and tone to back it up.

16. iualum

iualum

...good luck with this :D ...

17. cnltb

cnltb

I'd vote Glockenklang hands down.

18. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Genz Benz shuttlemax 9.2

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Of course, there are many good choices, and no "one best amp" for everyone. If you need the "best for you", it would be best to go forth and play through anything and everything available to you, so you can make the call yourself.

20. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

As far as a head goes, A Walter Woods would be the last amp you would ever NEED to buy. I've had one for 32 yrs. and an Ultra high power for 12 yrs. They never miss a beat!
    No dirt though, only clean.

21. garythenuke

garythenuke