Best bass effect for Freewill?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Geddy_2112, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Geddy_2112

Geddy_2112

Which bass effect would be the best to use for the bass solo on freewill by rush?
  2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I'm not sure they make an effect that can do that yet, but a Sansamp and/or some quality compression would probably get you some of the way there. Of course, if you aren't Geddy Lee playing Geddy Lee's bass, the point is kind of moot.
  3. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

What are you talking about?
  4. Geddy_2112

Geddy_2112

i want to use a type of effects pedal like distortion, or chorus, etc but i would like to know which would sound the best for the solo
  5. Connormac123456

Connormac123456

A light overdrive would be most ideal, however Geddy's tone is in his hands, and I find the best way to cop Geddy's tone (on any rush recording really) is to really whack the strings hard like he does to get a really aggressive tone. I think that should serve as a good starting point.
  6. oboylebass

oboylebass

Pretty sure Freewill does not have any effects. I'd guess it's a Rickenbacker with Rotosounds with low action played very agressively.
  7. Geddy_2112

Geddy_2112

yeah i wanted to add them myself so i was asking which would be the best to add without totally screwing up the song
  8. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

I think a fuzz would sound cool on that part. Or maybe even an envelope filter if you want to get really crazy and just play an "interpretation".
  9. lz4005

lz4005

You're asking other people what effects you are going to think sound good on a song that doesn't have any effects on it in the first place.

You may need to rethink some of your life decisions.
  10. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Right, ok, that's what I was wondering.

Lemme ponder that a bit.
  11. Geddy_2112

Geddy_2112

No, I was asking what you guys thought.
  12. tracer03

tracer03

I play it with my normal OD settings (Joyo Ultimate Drive) and kick on my chorus during the solo section for a little extra depth.
  13. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Bumping the upper mids on your EQ can certainly help move you in the right direction.