1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best bass envelope filter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ZetaBassist, Nov 29, 2011.

1. ZetaBassist

ZetaBassist

Best bass envelope filter guys? I know I'll get a load of 'well there is no best' and I know that, I want to see which one is YOUR FAVOURITE :p I'd like something reasonably cheap, at max I might be willing to spend enough for a mxr envelope filter, but that's about it tbh :)
    Thanks for ya thoughts guys!
  2. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

In that price range, I'd say get a 3Leaf Audio Proton, which is a Mu-Tron iii clone. Personally, my favorites are the 3Leaf Groove Regulator-2 (Meatball clone) and Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter Pro. The GR-2 delivers a fat tone and has the added bonus of buffered and true bypass options as well as an fx loop. The SA BEF Pro offers about 22 different envelope filter sounds, a few phasers, 8 band eq, a backpage menu that is absolutely nuts and allows for supreme tweakability, has LFO wave forms, and 6 available presets, plus a Lo Retain feature that allows you to retain your deep lows with the filter engaged. Both those run about $220 and are worth every penny to me.
  3. ZetaBassist

ZetaBassist

Thanks! :)
    Has anyone tried the ehx bassballs? I've heard it's quite weird but I don't know myself of course ;)
    Thanks for all your replies!
  4. Eric!

Eric!

XEROGRAPH DELUXE

</thread>
  5. bassbrad

bassbrad

EHX BassBalls is my personal favorite, it is 2 filters that sweep past each other resulting in a comb filter effect and it has a fuzz. The sensitivity control offers a broad range of sounds but it is not my fave for slap just finger play. I also have one that has been modded adding controls for the sweep ranges. I also have a Rocktron Heart Attack that is a straight up copy of the circuit and function. There is even a Behringer copy but I wouldn't go there.
  6. loopmantra

loopmantra

if you have advanced soldering skills(or know anyone who has),why don't you try ordering from BYOC...a friend of mine ordered(and assembled) germanium fuzz,and it's WICKED...plus,auto-wahs(or envelopes) are about 70$..
    i tried boss auto wah,ehx bassballs and mxr auto Q...but none of them 'moved' me enough to buy it...mxr is the best of the above mentioned,but i'm still considering ordering from BYOC...
  7. metaball

metaball

well, which is it ;)

i went with a subdecay proteus. it's not either, but i like it.
  8. ZetaBassist

ZetaBassist

Very nice, anyone got much experience with the mxr? :)
  9. ZetaBassist

ZetaBassist

I see what you did there ;)
  10. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I have the MXR. It's a nice pedal. It's very adjustable and has a fairly unique sound and the clean blend is a nice feature. I can get a little bwappy on some settings(I think that can be said about pretty much any envelope filter though) and I don't like it after dirt as much as much as I like my DiscomBOBulator but I still like it a lot. It's definitely staying on my board. Of the filters I've tried I like the Mutron the best but I don't have the kind of money. I just got the Discombobulator the other day and it is awesome!!! I wouldn't pay the kind of money that they cost new for any pedal though I got a really good deal. Good luck in your search. I think filters are like fuzz though. There is no best there is only more.
  11. krunchy

krunchy

Just got the Source Audio BEF Pro. Been playing with it for about 2 hours. This thing bananas. Out of the box, plugged into the bass, I found it to be so so and not super interesting. Start tweaking the settings and pumping some other effects through the filter and this thing starts to take on a mind of it's own. On the other side of the spectrum, I have an MXR bass envelope filter. It does it's job. It sounds good, but I've found it to be limited and not altogether better than the one on my boss multi effects. I also don't feel like it plays as nicely with other effects.
  12. electracoyote

electracoyote

I have the MXR, Bassballs, and a Markbass Supersynth.

I gotta say, I'm partial to the MXR. For what it does, it does it really well. It gets very wet.
  13. bassplayerbob

bassplayerbob

14. Crabby

Crabby

I have owned a bunch and the Xotic Robotalk 2 is the one that made the grade for me! A bot more expensive but just a fantastic filter for bass.
  15. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

I had a drq, I didn't like it. I went with a digitech bass synth wah, and an ibanez sb7. Love them both. Each reacts differently. Get a great range of sounds and they cost me together less than buying one of some other brands.
  16. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    The MXR purple one. It's tons of fun! I also have the EHX Bass Balls.
  17. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Put me down for the MXR too. I like it better then my old Mutron II. It received a Bass Player editors award when it came out, if that's worth anything...
  18. newbold

newbold

I have a bassballs and a Pigtronix Envelope Phaser. Neither are quite what I'd call an envelope filter, as the Bassballs has twin sweeping dynamic filters and the EP-1 is a phaser.

If you can get your hands on a filter that has a trigger in/sidechain you'll have set yourself up for a fully expandable pedalboard monster. I *think* the Moogerfooger low pass filter has an envelope out to hook up to anything that accepts a sidechain trigger...namely other moogerfoogers. Certainly not cheap but entierly authentic and top notch.

Of course, it's all to taste so you might just prefer an FX25
  19. Slackerprince

Slackerprince

I just got the SA BEF used on TB for $75 shipped.
    For all that it can do, I can't imagine a better value.
    I had the MXR, and it was plenty funky, but I just found
    all the controls just changed it's basic sound, whereas the
    SA has 21 completely different sounds.
    I'm happy with the SA, and traded the MXR for an SA MultiWave Distortion.
    I'm really big on bang for buck and lots of tweakability, because for
    me, that's just built-in value, fun, and interesting choices.
    Good luck.

S
  20. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

I swear these are becoming the new "Best Bass for Metal" threads. Folks have given you plenty of great answers already but it wouldn't hurt to do a search.