Best bass for 1200 euro/$1500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mossiebass, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Mossiebass

Mossiebass

So I've been saving up for a while for a Sandberg. It was 1200 euro, but I've been having second thoughts. I think I might want something different, maybe a used Ricky or the likes. What would you recommend? There's not much options where I live so buying online is my best option.

2. David281189

David281189

fender american standard jazz bass :)
    best choice in that price range in my opinion!
    i wouldn't by a sandberg bass...i dont like their sound..very sterile and although their california tt basses look like your traditional jazz bass...it's not. the pickups are not placed in the right position, they are in a 60s spacing to each other, but moved towards the bridge a litte bit. i dont like the outcome of that soundwise

fender really delivers nice quality and awesome sounding basses, especially since 2008.
    cant go wrong with fender!

3. hgiles

hgiles

I'd be happy with an Ibanez Prestige or Yamaha TRB 6II in that range. You could probably get a killin' four string for that price.

4. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

If you want a Sandberg, get a Sandberg. If you want something else...well, get something else! If it was me, I'd be looking at Sandbergs, Clovers, Laklands, Warwicks...or Squiers! ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IPYF

IPYF

Weird that your two examples are a Sandberg and a Rick. They're different creatures entirely. Both are quite versatile instruments, but you know what sound you're going for?

Have you played a Rickenbacker before? I wouldn't recommend buying a Rick sight unseen unless you have played one and you like the style. Plugged tone is almost universally amazing but I'm in the camp of people who just don't feel it in the hands when I'm holding one so I would never buy one from the internet.

Were I in your shoes I'd honestly go for a long drive to try things out if you have to. Make a day of it and visit a bricks and mortar or two. Find out what you actually want by using your hands and your ears. $1500 is a lot of money to gamble on getting the right axe over the net.

That said I played a Sandberg the other day and really liked it. They're basically just a Fender on steroids. Heaps of punch and tonal versatility. The fit and finish is actually a bit nicer than a lot of standard Fender basses and I'm yet to hear of anyone having a bad experience with the company themselves.

7. Mossiebass

Mossiebass

So I ended up searching around my city for basses. I got what I expected ; overpriced Fenders, EBMMs and and some other basses. None of which I liked, in fact I was fairly disappointed by the American Fenders. However, as I left one shop I saw, hidden behind a rack of squier affinity strats, was a Warwick thumb. I played it for hours. I had to buy it. I expected it to be out of my budget, but I checked the price tag. 895! I ended up buying it for 800 :D

8. hgiles

hgiles

Good buy!

9. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Can't beat the Thumb - excellent choice, and sounds like an excellent price as well! Enjoy!