Best bass for $700

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by saristi, Feb 10, 2008.

1. saristi

saristi

Hey Guys, i want to get a new 5-string bass and i'm really thinking about get this one:

Schecter Stiletto Studio-5 Bass
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ss-?sku=513094

It looks great and has many good reviews of it there. I would like to know what do you guys think and what other basses should I consider.

Thanks!!!
  2. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

have you thought about spector?
  3. CanadaMan

CanadaMan

Check used. Lots of good deals to be had.
  4. saristi

saristi

Dou you mean the Spector Legend Classic 5-String Bass??? It seems to be a great bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

For $700 I would definately go used. You can get a nice US made G&L, or maybe even score a great deal on a Musicman for just a little more.

If you like the Spector, get a used Euro (or Euro Rebop) Spector for $700 and under. Much better than the Korean one you mentioned IMO.
  7. S Lewis

S Lewis

You could get a TBC AP500 (new!) and have money to spare
  8. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Used Lakland 55-02 - u will love it.
  9. saristi

saristi

I was reading about the lackland 55-02 and it really rocks, but it's difficult to find this bass used for less than $850. Do you have more suggestions??

Thanks
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    You may find a 55-02 for your price. 55-01 Laklands are terrific, too. :hyper:
  11. CanadaMan

CanadaMan

Just save a little bit more. It'll be worth it.
  12. BobKos

BobKos

13. RobTheSkanker

RobTheSkanker

if you want to go cheaper( a hard thing to do after talking to people here haha), check out the Squier vintage modified active 5 string if you dont have anything along those lines, I played one, it was nice, and everything that i've heard about it is good.
  14. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
  15. JMDT

JMDT

G&L Tribute L2500, amazing bass for the money.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

In terms of new basses, I think that the TBC, G&L, and 55-01 are all great. One great bass that is less common is the Cort GB-75. It is basically a 55-02 with a two band preamp and Korean electronics. I have one and I have been very impressed with it. It has a great neck and is light (I think mine is maybe 9 lbs.) Soundwise, I think it is very, very close to a 55-02 (remember 55-02s are made at the Cort factory in Korea.) Another factor that some might like is that it is 34" scale instead of 35. It also has full 19mm string spacing and the capacity to split the MM humucker unlike USA Millenniums (also great under $700 basses if you considering buying used.)

Another plus is that compared to older 55-02s (the ones most likely to be found used around $700) with Barts, it does a much more credible Stingray imitation too.:bassist:
  17. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

+1 1/2 make the stretch. I've made a number of them & never regretted it.
  18. monsterbass

monsterbass

Buy it, you will not regret it. I bought an Ibanez SR-505 and owned it for 1 month until I played the schecter. I gave the Ibanez back to GC for the Schecter straight up. Awesome tone and awesome for slapping. The only thing I did was change the strings on it. :bassist:
  19. saristi

saristi

What have you heard about the Schecter basses?? Which are the principal diferences between this bass and the Fender, Lackland, Warwick, Musicman and the more expensive basses??? Cause I have read a lot about the Schecters and they seem to be an excelent choice. Moreover, the Schecter basses are really really good looking.
  20. CanadaMan

CanadaMan

They're made in Korea, for starters. Then there's the EMG-HZ pickups, which a lot of people find sorta weak. The studio has a 3 band EQ, which is nice. Generally they come decently set up from the factory. Very low action with minimal buzz. Elixir strings are standard I believe, which are very bright. Very nice bass for the money.
  21. saristi

saristi

And which basses do you recommend to me?? Obviously, I want a professional and versatile bass, but less than $700