Best Bass for HEAVY METAL?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Jun 4, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

What do you all think the best bass for HEAVY METAL would be, cuz that might be my next bass. Like i mean good for tapping/distortion, slap, stuff like that, i heard rickenbackers are really good for metal.
  2. Cerb

Cerb

Wow, I'm sure we've not seen one of these threads before...
  3. Basshole

Basshole

4. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

I'm sure everyone will tell you to just buy a Fender. Dont listen to them theres more than just Fender out there.

I'd reccomend a Thunderbird, Gibson or otherwise. I have an Epiphone version and I love it
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PrecisionJaC

PrecisionJaC

Anything that makes noice when u plug it in
  7. karrot-x

karrot-x

Ya, but make sure it makes noise too :).
  8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

...slapping does NOT = "HEAVY METAL"....go buy a Rogue at GC or something...

~S~
  9. paz

paz

esp or bc rich are the best for metal imo, but why would u want to play slap in heavy metal, ive never heard of that before
  10. sheepdog

sheepdog

you need to make sure it has lots of pointy parts sticking out from the bass. nothing says "metal" like a pointy bass.

:bassist:
  11. Brandt Scanlan

Brandt Scanlan

I don't think there is much required of a bass for metal. As long as you can play all the parts on it, any bass should be fine. The tone never seems all that important in "HEAVY METAL," especially since all the distortion masks the nuances of any particular bass's sound. Rickenbackers look really cool, though! Maybe not pointy enough...

To all the naysayers: If someone wants to slap, let them.
  12. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

I want the bc rich beast cuz of awseme looks, but eveyone says it sounds crappy maybe thats because bc rich are made for metal and those people dont like the sound of metal or do bc rich's just suck?.....o ya is there a way i could just buy it and fix it up to make it sound better?
  13. Tash

Tash

BC Rich makes...inconsistent basses at best. Sometimes they are pretty nice, most of them are garbage. If you find one that you really like, cool, but I wouldn't buy one without playing it and dissecting it in person. I think there are much better basses out there. The LTD series from ESP (I have a F 205, best metal bass ever made as far as I am concerned) and the low end Spectors are some of the best metal basses in the low price range ($500 or so). Warwicks are nice but I find they lack clarity, and in metal you need clarity to cut through all the guitars. You can play metal on any kind of bass though, as long as you are comfortable playing it.

How much money do you have to spend?
  14. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Yeah all this slap talk is making me think that you're talking about nu-metal like mudvayne stuff, rather than heavy metal. Slapping doesnt really go with heavy metal, but I would sure like to hear it if you could pull it off.

Anyway as far as picking a bass, just go find something you like and that works for you, dont go thinking you can only play metal on certain kinds of basses, metal has been played on just about every kind of bass imaginable.
  15. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

For metal, slap, tap, and good distorted tone, I recommend you get either a Warwick Corvette, Spector Rex Brown sig, or Fender Jazz Bass 24. I myself play a Corvette through an Ampeg SVP-BSP and BA-210, and while I've changed my style from metal to prog, my rig is perfect for either.
  16. page

page

One word............Fabulous!
  17. Tash

Tash

Listen to Prong or Faith No More...neither could remotely be considered "nu metal".

Slap works quite well in heavy music.
  18. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

i dont plan to get this HEAVY METAL bass soon, but when i do im willing to spend 700-1200, cuz thats when ill have a job o BTW i have a standtard fender jazz MIM, i think its sweet for metal and slapping, o ya BTW i know slap isnt in metal i just want a bass thats good for metal and slapin on the side.
  19. Tash

Tash

Assuming you are talking about US $$$ definately look at Spectors, you could probably score a nice Euro for that kind of cash, and they do everything well, especially metal.
  20. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

I HIGHLY recommend the Warwick Corvette

[​IMG]
  21. page

page

On a more serious note, I agree with Sound Chaser on the Corvette. I played a fellow TBers Corvette today and it was rockin . Great sound, perfect for metal.

Also I think Spectors are a great choice, they have a special place in my heart.