1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

best bass for small hands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by parksung, Sep 2, 2007.

1. parksung

parksung

2. HELLonWheels187

HELLonWheels187

Technique > Hand size

If you play properly the size of the bass shouldn't matter. That being said Ibanez have pretty close string spacing and there lots of short scale bass that you can get. I suggest playing a around. You will be surprised at what you feel comfortable

FTR: Vic Wooten is 5'3 and he plays a 34" bass and I like to think he is pretty good.
  3. Maj. Lee FUBAR

Maj. Lee FUBAR Supporting Member

You might look into a Fender Geddy Lee signature bass. I don't own one but many people around here will say it has a very small and thin neck. Pretty readily available and worth a try.

Good luck!

MLF
  4. steve66

steve66

Check out Schecter, Fender Jazz and Ibanez. Ultimately, play something that is comfortable in the lower register (first 5 frets)
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hand size means nothing. Playing bass or guitar is all about leverage.
  6. lowb1970

lowb1970

You might want to look at the MM Sterling. It may be a little pricy to you, but you really get what you pay for and the neck is one of the best I've played ever!!! I see others have recommended the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass also and that's a great bass too with a great neck on it. You should play as many as you can and buy what you can afford that feels right and looks good to you. Best wishes with your search.:D
  7. spideyjg

spideyjg Supporting Member

Play everything and find what is comfortable for you.

Keep at it because your stature is no matter. My friend Wanda is 5' 1", plays in 3 symphonies, and plays circles around me on electric.

Jim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

anhy ibanez soundgear that is a 4 string.
  9. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

In the upper intermediate price range a used Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn or Darryl Jones bass has a very slim comfortabe neck. I've heard the MM Sterling is popular with the ladies.
  10. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser Supporting Member

Put newer Peaveys on the list of basses to try. Not as narrow as J-bass or most Ibanezes but the necks is shallower from front to back which works for me with short fingers but a pretty normal palm.
  11. A9X

A9X

Ergonomics > hand size. Strap on a bass and try to play near first position with the bass in the usual close to horizontal position. Check the wrist angles and finger spread. Now try it with the bass in a more upright position, like a DB and again check the spread, and the comfort.

Parksung, get an SX Jazz from Rondo and move the strap pins to where they fit YOU. It's a cheap bass so it won't lose any real resale, but it might give you the ability to play and learn in relative comfort.

www.rondomusic.net
  12. Assumer

Assumer

I will second the MM sterling. Also, the G&L JB2 has a nice jazz size neck.
  13. Whaaaapsh

Whaaaapsh

When I first started playing bass I thought I had this problem myself, but with practice I now play a P bass with no prob. But at 5'3", you may end up with little leverage when playing in the first few frets, so I might look at at shortscales if I were you.

I've played a bunch of Fender Mustangs and Musicmasters, and in my experience the old ones play great, the new ones just ok. I did own one of the CIJ Mustangs which played like butter, but the pickups really leave something to be desired IMO. If I had one, I'd route it out to slap a good P pickup in there. The Dano longhorn reissues look cool, and sound pretty good with the stock pups, but it really depends on what kind of music you play.

Some of the folks on this board that teach may have a better, more technique oriented, answer. I saw a "little person" shred it up on a standard sized strat once, so if there's a moral to that it's: work what you got.
  14. Buck62

Buck62

Yep, that's the one.

Small enough to accomodate dinky digits, err... ummm, small hands. :smug:
  15. JNowiski

JNowiski

ditto on the sterling. my Dargie has a great neck, besides my Tom Clement fretless, my sterling has the best feeling neck of all my basses.
  16. parksung

parksung

what does MM stand for in the Sterlings you are talking about? i did a search for 'mm sterling' and couldn't find anything...

thanks;)
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ernie Ball MusicMan.
  18. wiro

wiro

Alembic series II 1996
    a 32" model.

[​IMG]
  19. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Used Jazz Bass or used Sterling.
  20. K2000

K2000 Supporting Member

Any kind of Beatle bass or violin bass.

You can see you have lots of options (including learning to play "bigger" basses). Maybe try to approach it from the angle of 'what bass sound do I want" and then narrow it down from there.