Best bass for under £300?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeweyTheroux, Nov 26, 2013.

1. JeweyTheroux

JeweyTheroux

Whats the general consensus on this one then? Looking to get a great mid to low value bass and wonder what models are viewed as the best?
  2. JACink

JACink

So... just a quick recap of whats to come :D

First... you will be reminded of the search function

Then... you will be advised to go to a store and try as many as possible

Next... people will recommend used

Then... names like Squier, Ibanez, Peavey and Yamaha will appear

Following this... certain models of these will be discussed depending on personal opinions

Shortly after... you will have lost any sense you made of the thread in the first place.

Or, option 2, is that nobody actually replies!! :bag:
  3. alecduncan

alecduncan

Peavey Foundation/any MIA Peavey from the 80's
    Yamaha BB400, etc. (if you're lucky)
    Squier Vintage Modified series

Any of the above are very good and some people even play them professionally!
  4. JeweyTheroux

JeweyTheroux

Haha, if anything if it was worth it just for this reply ;)
  5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Since you asked in pounds sterling, it's a fair guess you're somewhere in the UK, yes? That being said, here's an "outside the box" suggestion. Check out reviews of basses made by ProBass.

http://probass.co.uk/Home.html

I would love to have one, even just for the novelty of a Fender/Rickenbacker hybrid, but the shipping/duties/insurance would quadruple the price for a Yank like me. It sounds like you'd have much better access to one, maybe even be able to try one out before purchase (you lucky dog, you!).
  6. JeweyTheroux

JeweyTheroux

Good find! I'm very intrigued...
  7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Me too. I'm almost intrigued enough (emphasis on "almost") to find a willing [DEL]proxy/cut-out/flunky/sucker[/DEL] compatriot to grab one for me and ship it stateside in separately mailed boxes…

…but that would be wrong!

<shhh&#8230;THE MAN could be listening> :bag:

But to address your original question, I recently scored a used Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass (for a scandalously good price, no less). Long story short&#8230;now I know why there is so much love for them here! :eek: This bass is absolutely killer!! Very smooth sounding but gets nice and snarly when played with a stronger attack.

If the look of the vintage tortoise shell pickguard doesn't "do it" for you (sorry faux-tort-lovers, but having handled the real stuff, in all it's translucent glory, it most certainly doesn't for me), I found that the guards for MIA Jazzes is a 99.5% perfect fit. I only shave off .5% because one screw hole was off by a couple of millimeters (still able to be screwed in though) and the neck-heel truss rod adjustment notch (sooooo not a big deal to me).