1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Bass for Under 500 (American dollars)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Brit, Feb 3, 2014.

1. The_Brit

The_Brit

So I first got my Laguna LB200 last year. To be honest its just a cheap built bass, best what else can you expect from a 200-300 dollar bass. So now that I have had some experience, not a lot, but enough experience to progress and develop my skills and playing style, I need a new bass. So I'm looking at the best bang for your buck bass under 500 dollars. As of right now here are two options that I find quite good, so please recomend away! Thank you!

Warwick Streamer Standard Electric Bass Guitar: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/warwick-streamer-standard-electric-bass-guitar

Fender Blacktop Precision Bass: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-blacktop-precision-bass

I have found a lot of good things about the blacktop, and I also like the fact that it has double humbuckers as well as it is MIM. The Warwick I do not know as much about and it seems fairly unreviewed.

Rock on! :bassist:

-The_Brit

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Warwick makes fantastic basses! Highly regarded and have incredible sound and feel. They usually run for a thousand or two though- the fantastic ones.
    However, the one you're looking at is on their "budget" line- not one made in Germany where the best Warwick basses are made. I don't know how much of a drop off there is in quality, but I would definitely recommend going to a store and trying some basses out.
    Fender Blacktop P bass I did try, it's pretty good but it all comes down to a matter of preference- I like Fender basses for what they're most famous for, the sound of a P-bass or Jazz bass pickup. For humbuckers/active style basses, I prefer Warwick or Spector. Fender cannot beat those.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

For around $500, you have a million options in the used market. Much more so than $500 new. For that price range I'd rather have an mij fender over almost anything new for the same price.

4. pfox14

pfox14

The Fender Blacktop looks good, but I'd get it in black. You also have the choice of many MIM Fenders, which are around your price range.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

There is no new bass that sells for $500 or less that I would buy new. Why? Because for any new bass selling at a normal price that you can name, I can name you a used bass that I would rather have for the same amount of money.

For example, for $500, I'd buy a used Made in America Peavey Millennium or TL-Five or G-Bass or G-V over any new bass you can buy for $500.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

Ibanez SR400QM

I just snagged one up from a friend...for free and even at the retail of $449 online, it is a much better bass than I ever thought it would be and very underrated IMO. I'm sure you could find one used for way less than that even.

I was never really a fan of Soundgear basses, just by looks and some of the rep alone. Don't know why as I'm typically not a gear snob, but they just weren't my cup of tea, so to speak. Now that I've played one and have one, I am sold on them. I've been playing pro/semi-pro for over 35 years. It's a keeper...may even become my main bass for gigs.

Here's a link to the thread I posted about my recent acquisition...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/ibanez-sr400qm-1051735/

8. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

9. The_Brit

The_Brit

Thanks everyone. So I just quickly searched for used basses and I found a "excellent condition" (no idea how good that is) for a sub sterling ray 34, and its about 400 which is fairly cheap. I'll spend more time tomorrow looking for some used basses, but I definitely will look into used basses because you guys are right, its a way more expensive guitar that someone else has used for a year or two, and come one, people buy old basses or keep basses forever! I'm just a bit worry about fret wear or something that would cost a bit to replace. But If I find a cheap used bass I may just suck it up and spend the extra cash I have on replacing the pickups or spanding it on fixing the bass up a bit. Thanks for the posts and keep replying with new/used basses!

Rock on!

10. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    SX by far. My main bass is an American Deluxe P so I don't have just cheap basses. But my SX in my opinion feels and plays better that Mexican Fenders Ive owned. If I had to spend $500 on a bass I would just buy 3 SXs before even considering anything else in that range. Or buy one and do any mods you want then have something that will rival any $1000 bass out there!

11. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

I have a similar thread on this and some good basses I found in the $500 range new is Ibanez atk basses and the new Yamaha TRBX series :)

12. higain617

higain617

Does it have to be brand new? Music Man USA Subs are killer and can be had for around $500. I did feel the need to change out the pickguard when I got mine.