best bass guitar for 600$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jrguillett2, Dec 27, 2010.

1. jrguillett2

jrguillett2

i am looking to buy a new bass i have been playing for 6 months and have saved some money up and after some money from Christmas i have 600 dollars i can spend on a bass what would you people at talk bass recommend a Schecter? a fender? oh also i play rock country and some funk
  2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I love my schecter!!! Its a stiletto ($400?) but its an amzing bass. Super solid and extremely versatile. I imagine that they only get better with price.
  3. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Oh boy.. Here we go again. Go to the guitar store, play a bunch. Look around here in the TB Classifieds.

Fenders are great basses, but they can be hit or miss a lot. Look for a used MIA (Made in America) Fender.
  4. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

There are a lot of great basses at your price point. You must be happy with your choice, and I am sure that a lot of us will offer our own ideas and spins, based upon what we like. Please start by telling us what you are already playing on, and what you may think that you might want, based upon your initial experiences (P, J, Ray, active/passive, etc.).

Meanwhile, I'll give you a list of a few exceptional instruments to try checking out:

Squier - They are doing amazing things. You may find that a Vintage Modified or Classic series bass is something for you. With $600 to spend, you might get strap locks, a bridge upgrade, and a nice case, and still have money left over for an effect pedal.

G&L Tribute series - A JB2 or SB2 may take most of your $600 to acquire, but you would become an initiate into a great fraternity of bassists who know where the best Fenders come from.

Schecter Raiden - Very impressive for a "starter," yet versatile enough to be a step-up, or even a main gigger. 24 frets, and a great sound rooted in the J tradition, but the coil splitter capability can give you $$ sounds as well.

Warwick Rockbass - again, depending on the model, you may chew up your $600, and possibly still need more, but these things are quite lethal and versatile.

Ibanez - There are so many models in your price range, that I cannot even hope to discuss them here.

Good luck.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

sterling by musicman line, squier classic vibe/vintage modified, USED USED USED
  7. jrguillett2

jrguillett2

currently a squire affinity p bass that why i wanted to upgrade saw the Schecter and was impressed
  8. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

My opinion - BUY NEW and get the warranty in your name and the new bass smell.

If you buy used, you get germs, dirt (commonly admired as 'funk' - but it's really dead human skin cells, mucus, tobacco drool, dried up beer residue - from the bottle or the drinking person and snot mixed with blood from the last owner) and scratches, gouges and dings that you didn't give it yourself.

Have pride in whatever bass sings for you and play it as you see fit.

There is no BEST bass for $600.00. There are good, bad, great and total failures at every price point.

There is no BEST bass for any money - you are in a quandary as you have asked THE most asked question and have entered into the black hole of musical [DEL]desire[/DEL] whoredom and you will never be satisfied ever again.

Get used to it and roll to your own waves.

Play everything you can get your hands on and see for yourself.
  9. jrguillett2

jrguillett2

some of the best advice ever been given thank you sir seriously thank you
  10. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

It's a gift
  11. Dennybass

Dennybass

I love my Yamaha BB series 5 string, I bought it new in your price range, but REALLY love my Alembic 5 string, bought used for $1200 (it's got some hard miles on it, but still sounds great) everybody plays a used bass right?
  12. BassBob1

BassBob1

surferjoe46 certainly makes and excellent point. there are good and bad basses at every price range. If you are seriously looking at a schecter i'll give you my two cents. The 2 that i have owned where pretty well put together basses and never gave me a problem. But with that said they never got much play and i sold them. I am partial to the sound and feel of a fender jazz bass. Best advice that you are gunna get out of this thread is to get to a music store and play everything you can. even basses that are cheaper than you are looking to spend. Do not ignore used basses though. I have never had a problem with used instruments and they are a great way to get a better instrument at a better price. As far as the warranty goes unless you are worried about active electronics frying or a pickup going bad just about everything else can be fixed with a soldering iron.

enjoy what ever you get.
  13. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

I played a sterling by musicman ray 34 today. All I have to say is that I'd tap that.
  14. jahan

jahan

I bought a used Yamaha BB 5 String for 250 bucks. I'd have no problem using it for a gig, if anyone ever asked me to. (I'm an upright player.) It sounds and plays really nicely, and I enjoy the ease of controls and variety of sound it has to offer. A really solid bass. I encourage you to see what's available on Craig's list. If you're a beginner, bring a more experienced person with you. (Bass teacher??)
  15. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

If you buy used, you get germs, dirt (commonly admired as 'funk' - but it's really dead human skin cells, mucus, tobacco drool, dried up beer residue - from the bottle or the drinking person and snot mixed with blood from the last owner) and scratches, gouges and dings that you didn't give it yourself.

[/QUOTE]

Snot mixed with blood? LMAO! (dude I'm never buying a bass from you!)
    Seriously-what manner of hygene do people in your town not practice? I suppose the odd flying booger might have jettisoned from my nose during a particularly frenetic live set but blood? Hahahaha that made my 3am babywatch guard duty night!

Er- OP- if you do buy used, purchase an $8.00 bottle of Martin Guitar Polish- I dont know if it kills germs but it does remove 97% of aforementioned residue (and makes for a purty bass!)

Now if I had a $700.00 budget, I'd be in the market for one o them Frudua/Exlusive Fusion 5 basses designed in Italy and "Hand Crafted" in Chiner...Reverse P, MM, Maple neck with block inlay, even manages to sound sweet on Youtube...
  16. Billy3000

Billy3000

Squier Classic Vibe. Honestly IMO there isn't anything you can get for $600 that is better in sound and quality than the classic vibes. So save yourself $250 and get a classic vibe!
  17. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I used Sterling H or MIA P $600 can be found. I have both, 2 different animals serving 2 different purposes but built to last forever & will never lose value
  18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

+1 to a used $1000 bass ... the Fender 'Classic Series' basses are very good also and in that price range ...
  19. Bongofour

Bongofour

+1 definately
  20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I had the exact opposite thought when I read that post. But if you think that's good advice, I'll refrain from offering any myself.
  21. zachoff

zachoff

I'd probably get a G&L SB-1 or L-2000.