1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

? Best Bass head for a 2x15 cab.?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Jan 6, 2014.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

I'm in the market for a bass head, Here's the thing. I'm REALLY into the 2x15 Bass cab. I LOVE the Deep, warm, punchy sound they have when paired with the right head. I prefer them over the 4/8x10 set up. I know they're not very popular amongst today's players, but they Do It for me. I'll probably top it off w/ a 2x10 atop of it for the highs. I used to have a GK 400RB back in the early 90's with a Trace Elliot 4x10 cab. Looking back now, they probably weren't matched well, but I didn't know about matching ohms and all that stuff and I'm STILL not clear on it, Ha Haaaaaaa!!! ANYWAYS, I need help from the professionals, experts/experienced and knowledgeable Bassist here on TB to help/guide me in making a decision on a Bass head. I've been reading a lot of the older threads, and I seem to have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 choices. The Ampeg SVT4 Pro, Mesa Boogie big block 750 or Ampeg SVT 7 Pro(?). Sorry in advance for being long winded and ...well, a little ignorant about a few things, Ha Ha! Thanks for any advice, tips, suggestions etc. B.T.Jazzplyr.

2. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Also, any info on the Mesa Boogie M6 Carbine would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

been using a mesa d180 and two orange 115s, works really well with my fingerstyle playing on passive basses

4. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Thanks, I'm looking for more power though, at least 300 watts.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I've been gigging a Streamliner 900 thru a PH215 these days, and they work really well together...

- georgestrings

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

It really doesn't work that way. There is no particular sound that is inherent to a cabinet, based solely on the diameter of the speakers contained within it.

Even if there were, there is no such thing as the "best" amp to pair with it. There are only various options available, containing different combinations of features and functions that you might find either more desirable or less desirable, depending on the particular blend of performance characteristics that are of greatest value to you. :eyebrow:

MM

8. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Yeah, I guess you're right, there's so many amps out there and I can't possibly try ALL of them, I've played and own an Ampeg (100 watt combo), played through and owned a GK400 RB, played through Peaveys, Fenders, and Mesa Boogie... In the end, I'm probably gonna settle on another Ampeg, Which one???

9. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    SVT + 215

[​IMG]

10. pfox14

pfox14

When I have the money, I want that exact Ampeg setup with the 2 - 1x15 cabs.

11. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Very Nice Indeed! That HAS TO sound awesome! with the 15's. When I played a simular Ampeg head ?(could've been the Same one) through an Ampeg 8x10 while in my local GC, I wasn't impressed at all, it was too midrange(y)? and not punchy enough for my liking even with all different settings I tried. I got a much better sound out of a Markbass 1x15 (200 watt) combo amp. I think those amps are a little overpriced though IMHO

12. Tim1

Tim1

My main cabinet is a Bergantino NV215. My favourite amps into it are the Fender Super Bassman 300 or Orange AD200, both sound amazing with it. Not a great fan of transistor heads here, give me tubes and fifteens any day.

13. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
    I'm looking at Ampeg & thinking on speaker size & iron ferite verses neodimium...

14. Bunyo

Bunyo

+1 I use D180 with two 1x15 mesa and its absolutely a killer. Ampeg with 410 HLF is a junk when compared.

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I like my paleolithic music Man 100 watt tube head into my very modern 2x15. That setup rocks. Wish i had more opportunities for lighting it up... It's a really fun rig when I get the chance.

16. Tim1

Tim1

Do you already have a 2x15 cab? Are you looking for just a head or both? I know it is often said, but you really need to hear the combination for yourself before parting with your cash. Also, you seem to assume that a 2 x15 will go lower than an 810/410 - this is by no means a given, different cabs have different responses whether tens or fifteens. For example, back in the day I always found the early Mesa Boogie 215 cabinet too midrangey for me and my SWR Goliath 410 seemed to have a deeper low end response. My Bergantino NV215 is very much a full range cabinet. I was very impressed recently with the depth of a new Ampeg 410 - quite stunning.
    Then again, it depends on which head you match with the cab as certain combinations definitely work better than others - the SVT/810 being a case in point. For me, the go to amp for fifteens is my Orange AD200, I like the way its traditional low end tone works with fifteens. Others, of course, may think differently. Use you ears.

17. Sartori

Sartori

I have the D-180, and it is a loud head through two 15" speakers. Moreso if the speakers are EVs.

If you need more than 300 watts... a Mesa Strategy head would be punishingly loud. Expensive, though.

The 300 watt requirement rules out the old Sunns that went well with 15"s... I don't know, I guess maybe a Sunn/Fender 300T, or an SVT, or a Fender Super Bassman 300.

18. Sartori

Sartori

The D-180 and the Ampeg 410HLF don't really get along, in my experience. Then again, I don't really get along with the 410HLF.

19. Sartori

Sartori

+1

My 2x15 doesn't go as deep as a 410HLF. It has a lot more in the midrange, though.

There are other 2x15s that sound quite different, too.

20. Bunyo

Bunyo

Actually last sunday I was playing through Ampeg CL with 410 HLF. It was a dissapointment for me. The sound was little plastic for me, no air like my 2x15 and nothing special in terms of sound. Even lows werent huge to my surprise. My guitarists told me that my rig sounds much better.

Moreover even look of Ampeg CL with its 410 HLF is like chinese plastic, especially when you compare it to metal bulletproof D180 and two Road Ready 15'' on EV.
    Praise the Mesa!!!

21. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

IMO, I think any high quality modern bass amp head will work with dual 15s.

I have a Bergantino NV215 and Little Mark II head. I'm very happy with this set up!