Best bass in $700-800 range.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sturg, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Sturg

Sturg

Looking to make my first bass guitar purchase, but having read lots of information here in the forums, I have more questions than answers. I want something slightly better than an entry level instrument. I've read lots of good reviews about the sterling Ray34, Ibanez sr500, Schecter Stiletto studio 4, and Fender (not sure what models). When I went to GC I noticed that the guitars with wider necks, like the Fender precision I tried, seemed more comfortable to me. I have large hands, but not sure if that is terribly important. Just want some knowledgeable help to make a good choice. Thanks.

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

If you go hunting for one, you'll easily find a used fender American standard p in that range.

3. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Yeah, if the Fender P neck was the most comfortable to you then I'd suggest you start off with one of those.

For added versatility, you may want to search for a PJ bass with a P neck (same as a Fender Precision but has an added Jazz pickup at the bridge).

4. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

A used Lakland or Warmoth

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Reddog01

Reddog01

Fit is everything! I prefer the feel of the thinner neck, so I have an Ibby SR700. The Fender may be a much better sit for you. The Schecter has a pretty narrow neck also.

7. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

I'd say have a look at the Mexican made Fender Precision and if you can find one used better still as they can be sold on at a similar price. The reason for saying that is whilst you've tried them in the shop, you may have a different view down the line (been there and done that).

Once you get a good feel for it, then you'll be able to decide better on what you'd probably be better off with.

8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I would definitely be looking for a used Fender American Standard from 2008 or newer.

9. cavedweller

cavedweller

10. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

11. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

Give the G&L Tributes a try. I've got both a Tribute and a MIA and prefer the former.

12. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Not sure of the neck width, but the MTD Kingston series are nice guitars. As mentioned Sterling Ray34 are nice as well.

13. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

+1 :bassist:

14. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

Pedulla Thunderbass
    G&L (U.S.)
    Fender American Standard
    Yamaha TRB

You might find anything at eight hundred.

15. EdgeXXL

EdgeXXL Supporting Member

+2

I now have two G&L's. I bought both of them out of the TB classified's.

One is a US G&L L-2000 and the other is a G&L Tribute SB-2.

I love the L-2000 it play's awesome. I haven't gotten the SB-2 yet but I am sure it will play awesome too.

16. Mechanical

Mechanical

Used Ibanez Prestige
    Used Fender Jazz
    Used G&L
    Used Yamaha TRB
    Used Spector Euro

17. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    Ibanez Soundgear--500 or above--although above may need to be used.

18. cavedweller

cavedweller

I recently picked up a used american sb-2 for $600 on craigslist, it is the best sounding, most comfortable bass i have owned.

19. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

That's about what I paid for my US SB-1. If you liked the P Bass, a G&L SB-1 or SB-2 will be able to get the same sound plus a more aggressive tone too. I have loved every G&L I've touched. I wish I could say the same for Fenders.

20. Dradder

Dradder

21. Rich Williams

Rich Williams

Easy. Fender 50's P-Bass, Fiesta Red. EVERY bassist should own a P-Bass. Step 1: Buy P-Bass. Step 2: Buy whatever else you want.

Keep in mind. $700–$800 is the used start off on eBay for weird-colored American P-Basses. Try this: Type "(USA,American) Fender -Squier -Squire Bass" and sort low to high. Also, at your price, you could get two used MIMs (Made in Mexico).

Good luck. Buy Ibáñez. Buy BC Rich. Buy Spector. Buy Peavey. BUT first, Buy a P-Bass. You owe it to your legacy. Fender makes a Black Top for metal and Gold on Fiesta Red for indie rock.

Do not be swayed by the dudes at Guitar Center. Fender has the lowest profit margin of any bass guitar at GC.

Cheers,
    Filthy Rich