Best Bass Pre-Amp For Funk?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by faulknersj, Mar 27, 2014.

1. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

I recently purchased a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI and am hoping for feedback from those of you who have experience with this Pre-Amp and others like it. I am running it in front of a powered PA speaker as a pre-amp /DI. I have recently stopped bringing my rig on stage when i play thru a PA and just use a powered monitor to help cut stage volume and give my soundman mas control in the FOH.

My experience thus far:

I can get some pretty good tones out of it, but....it seems voiced a little bit '80's rocker' for me. I play mostly Funk, Jazz, RnB, Top 40.

I also am not a huge fan of where in the upper mid range the 'presence' knob seems to be voiced.

I don't need distortion

Can anyone with experience with these enlighten me...or...can anyone recomend other pre-amps that have a DI out that might be better suited for my needs?
  2. dincz

dincz

3. TwoRivers

TwoRivers Supporting Member

Do you have the blend knob dialed back? I find that between 30-40% on the blend knob helps to "smooth" out my tone, leaving enough of the natural mids from my bass, and getting rid of some of the 80's vibe. It's a really great pedal, thought I don't use it 100% of the time. Leaving the blend knob maxed (as the manual instructs you to do) sounds pretty bad to me.
  4. faulknersj

Thank you guys....more input appreciated TB
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Two pro level preamps are the sadowsky did box and the pensa (installed) Pre amp. Have tried both live and for recording and they both sound great. I use passive 100 pct of the time now but these boxes will fill the bill for you in the funk world. Pensa is available at Rudy's music here in midtown and sadowsky in his shop in Long Island city.
    I still have the sadowsky box but sold my bass with the pensa to fund my vintage bass addiction. Pensa also makes a box. IMHO these boxes sound head and shoulders above the rest (Duncan,bass witch, tone hammer etc).
    Best of luck.
  7. faulknersj

Thank you...I'll do dome research on them.
  8. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Cool.. Here a pretty good representation of what my jAzz sounds like with the sad box ( not me but the tone is close)

http://youtu.be/jn5R4tQxgck
  9. faulknersj

Sounds killer man! Nice playing and great tone!
  10. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Best Bass Pre-Amp For Funk?

One that works. ;)
  11. faulknersj

I know what u mean...and I can make the Sans Amp work for the most part...but the way it colors the tone is voiced WAY more for rock....trust me on this!
  12. faulknersj

Just finished the first set with the Sans Amp. I brought my 74 P Bass with flats tonight. Pros: I am starting to understand why running a passive bass thru a pre amp is a 'thing' for sure. I am really enjoying the higher out put an the ability a pre amp gives you to shape your tone.
    Cons: I'm not really digging the way thi particular pre amp is voiced. It sounds like I brought Michael Anthony's Van Halen Bass Sound to the Old School Funk show. I think this pre would be killer for a bad player doing a lot of rock repertoire, and I might even keep it for when I do rock shows. But I need something else for my main gig. I'm hoping some of you TBers can chime in and share your experiences with other pre's!
  13. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

I know what you mean about the SansAmp. I had a similar experience.

Possibly the Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal. When you say 74P with Flats and old school, I think that might be a better sound for you. It will give you a pretty fat old school sound.

I have a TH350 amp, and it is very nice. Aguilar stuff is very high quality and gets a lot of love for a reason.
  14. faulknersj

I think that will be the next thing I try (the Tonehammer)! My buddy is sitting in 2nd set as I type this and I tweaked it to my liking. I basically am back to just the clean signal and just a touch of the Sans Amp in the blend. It is basically just a DI with lots of knobs right now, but the bass is cutting thru just right now. It supports the mix but every note has clarity.
  15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Grab a Meatsmoke tube Pre and then close the thread :) I'm not sure if the website is updated with the new two channel version that has separate EQ's but it is ridiculous I have plenty of other suggestions but most don't have a D.I the 3Leaf Enabler,Fodera 2011 and the F Bass Big F Boost are three of my favorites the Meatsmoke and Fodera are always on and another great little pedal with a ton of preamp models is the Zoom MS60-B great pedal no D.I. so that may be the deal breaker I play a lot of funk myself so I know the tone you're looking for.
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Sadowsky one of the best outboard pre's ever I had gotten so use to using mine just to mute my signal I had forgotten just how good it sounds I just turned it on and it makes any bass sound better I'm a preamp freak I've pretty much owned or tested just about all of them.
  17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

If you are using a passive P with flats then the no brainer assumption is this primarily finger style funk and not as much slapping?

If you were talking a Jazz bass with round wounds then my response would be different in terms of which freqs I would boost or cut.

I'm a tough sell on most of these EQ/Di pedals because I want sweepable mids and treble center frequency that I choose.

I use the Bassliner EQ pedal by HAO because it's got 5 bands of EQ so I can remove the "gank" and drop in the sparkle for the slap or do otherwise with the P style with flats. I don't like the Sadowsky as much because the treble freq is 4khz. Thats bright but not hi-fi slap territory and there is no upper mid control. My two cents.
  18. faulknersj

Mac....thank u so much for the suggestions! I will look into them ASAP!
  19. SirMjac28

I could send you the Sadowsky keep it as long as you like I'll even pay for shipping back to me if you don't like it but if you do and I think you may sir I'll make you an offer you won't be able to refuse :) I just got an all tube setup and I'm getting out of the pedal business I've spent way too much money chasing tones it's been a fun ride but it's time to leave the party.
  20. faulknersj

Wow! PM me the details! Cheers!
  21. JazzMarius

JazzMarius

Well, i had the Enabler and that's AWSOME for funk. The problem i saw with the sansamp is that it lacks of ..."body". I find the Enabler very full and warm and has some sick voicing with very little tweeking. In the end i sold it because the lack of battery was a deal breaker.in our church i can't run it through the socket cause it ads some heavy noise (very very bad grounding in this building). Sold it and got the WonderBox!: the Sadowsky Pre/Di. Now that's just blowing my mind! Boost only, so once you got that, it's just: plug->enjoy in tears!! It pretty much has no identity by itself, it just brings your bass to Nirvana!
    I believe a good/cheap Pre for what you are looking for it's the WTDI if you want to look into that.