Best Bass preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by shirtforbrains, Jul 27, 2011.

1. shirtforbrains

shirtforbrains

Ok im looking for a good used preamp for my collection. Any advice would be good.Share your preamp stories.............

I need opinions on the demeter hbp 1
    also demeter 201
    trace elliiot gp12 smx

Thanks again..............
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

There is at least one best preamp for each of us on TB so be prepared to be inundated; in my case I use a Universal Audio LA-610 Mk II these days, when I am using only a preamp and not my bass rig.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

My GP12SMX is good to me, what criteria of good would you like to collect?
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

If you're looking at the Demeter, then definitely consider the Kern IP-777.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shirtforbrains

shirtforbrains

Just looking for a good rock bass preamp. I have tried the gk 800 rb thru my power amp and was thinking of something better.
  7. babebambi

babebambi

Mike Pope
    Glockenklang
    Aguilar
  8. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

I just picked up a DB680 and it does rock very well IMO. There is a video on my YouTube page.
  9. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Eden navigator
  10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

now heres a little story i gots to tell about 3 bad brothers you know so well
    ahem
    little martin&co porta con = delicious
    sadowsky makes one too--looks identical

i want rockman bass ace!!!
    right now!!!!!
  11. Schlyder

Schlyder

Trace Elliot GP12smx .....winning :D
  12. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

look no further than the HBP-1

picked one up last week and it just RULES!!!

i connected it to an LMII and my bass just blooms and pounds. it may be a bit too clean for some genres. the semi-parametric EQ as well as the normal tone controls make this thing hard to beat for the money. gl.
  13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    +1

my personal favorite: UA 6176. (& i've owned and tried quite a few different pre's)
  14. David Jayne

David Jayne

I haven't tried any others, but I have an HBP-1 and its sick. Best sounding rig I've ever used. Doesn't do dirty, but if pushed a bit it does have a certain grittiness to it that is wonderful, sort of like the GK boost grit. Low end is supernaturally clear and tight, and there's a sweetness in the midrange/treble that I can't put into words. Very nice, especially now that the price has come down a bit. Possibly the best bang-for-your-buck, if you like it.
  15. mjcoderre

mjcoderre

I've owned both versions of the Demeter and I'm sorry I sold the HBP1...pound for pound one of THE best pre's I've ever heard or used. Well worth the money if you have it.

Good luck!
  16. shadowmac

shadowmac

I've had very good experiences with my SWR Grand Prix (green face); very versatile with the ability to crunch if you want it.

My EBS-1 is also a great hi-fi rock preamp - if you're looking for a tube sound, this one is not what you're after.

The Sansamp PSA-1.1 can give you just about any tone you are after. I've used one for recording and for live applications.

I'd definitely like to test drive a Pope and a Kern though!
  17. chadds

chadds

I'm loathe to answer when it says "Best". One bassist's "best" is another's "worst".
    I've tried all but a very few on a very revealing test bed. Included in my quest were numerous channel strips and DIs.

I won't go into depth here but there are pres for Fender sound, pres for SVT sound. So choosing based on those parameters narrows the field some.

The Summit TD-100 - while some may need tone controls others fine this the simplest way to have almost nothing between your bass and amplification.
    The loading control is a real treat. By adjusting the load knob you can get at my count the equivalent of bringing five different passive basses to a session.
    As you crank the pre gain you get more and more tube added to the SS sound.
    It has harmonically rich tones.

The Kern - capable of the tubilicious while simultaneously being SS clear. Not one but two 12Ax7s. 12au7 discreetly for the DI. Responds well to tube rolling.

Glockenklang BAC - The opposite design direction from Kern. SS quickness clarity with more warmth than I've seen in many hybrids and some tube amps. Fat bottom while you play really clear chords. Has those complex harmonics that we call sweetness in the mids that seem to be the sole domain of tubes.

Let me say here I favor tubes for their clarity, response like the note coming out of the speaks is attached to your fingers like glue.:) I don't prefer grit unless I want it. Generally if the rig is right I get that from finger attack on purpose.
    All of the pres noted here apply significant voltage to their tubes really getting the goodness out.

Lastly:

The Jules Monique - everything I've said about the other three but in a magnitude that exceeds description. The eq. is completely independent. Minute adjustments are very effective. Flat is glorious! Power tube sound in a pre. No exaggeration.
  18. lug

lug

Lots of people whove done a lot of recording say Avalon but they are way way out of my price range.
  19. fokof

fokof Gold Supporting Member

+1 for the TD100 , I also like the LA610
  20. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I started out back in the '80's with an Ashly SC-40 preamp, and have tried dozens since then, and have come full circle back to the Ashly SC-40. Just a sweet sound pre with a responsive EQ for my tone goals. Ashly morphed the SC-40 into the BP-41 , but I never got a chance to try it. You can usually find them on Ebay.
  21. slap5string

slap5string

Sansamp RPM

I use this with the GK 700RBII - tone for days!