Best bass stacks

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassmantam, Apr 1, 2014.

1. bassmantam

bassmantam

Over the years I have had many different setups creating many different sounds. My favourite to this day was a laney valve head with a Marshall 4x12 and an altec 1x18 folded bin. I used a yam sb55 with dean markley british sound strings and it was like the bass end of a grand piano.

these days I have several setups which i mix n match
    amps n speakers:
    Trace elliot (original) 2x12 combo with 1 x 15 sub
    2 x crate power blocks used with 1x15 H/H (not bass - mid cab) and Trace 1x15 sub
    Gallien Kruger m400 1x15 combo with trace sub
    Roland Cube 100 + 1 x Crate power block and trace 1x15 sub
    at times i swap the cabs around with a 2x12 H/H and the H/H 1x15 Bass

None of these setups can recreate the sound of my old rig even with the yam sb55 played through them, though its worth noting Dean Markley British Sound strings are no longer available in the UK. My current favourite setup is actually the two crate power blocks which offer an astonishing range of tones and these amps can just about fit in a coat pocket.

What is your favoured bass setup and why?

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Mic'ing my 2x10 into a badarse PA with low stage volume.

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This is my favorite rig right now.

Carvin B1500 in to a fEARful 1515/66/1. It has a great response from low to high, the pre amp points are well thought out, and it has enough power to drown out the loudest guitards.

Gets the job done for me.

[​IMG]

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Cant say that Ive had a ton of stacks in my time, but, what I run now, a GK 1001rb II into a Neo 410 with my pedal board and Ibbey ATK 300 (early 90's) is pretty boss. Lovin it. Before that I ran a BDDI into a Yorkie Bassmaster400 into a Fender Bassman 410h (I think it was an "H") and that got me by for years. But I also didnt have much money to spend on gear for a long time either. I would have to say that my fav of the two would be the GK gear and the board I have now.

I am planning on getting a Greenboy fEARful 15/6/1 in the near future, and if I like that enough I will get a FEARless F212, and a Mesa M9. So I am going to change it up a bit but I think I'll be pleased with that. I will always have love for my GK gear though. And the Yorkie and Fender will always have a special place in my heart. I still use them but for practice at home. And the GK rig is my main practice/gigging rig. I wish I could turn my Ampeg B50R into a stack, that would be sweet :) Never has been loud enough for real world playing (for me and the bands Ive played/play in) but if it was, I'd be happy with just that I believe. For a while.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Alexander

Alexander

It's a close race for me - hard to beat an SVT/810. But, slightly ahead of that is my Fender Super Bassman into a Bergantino NV412.

Big tube head into a sealed cab is hard to beat. IMHO

7. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I'm a huge fan of my Bassman 300 Pro into a one off MAS built TC118. It keeps up with 100w guitar half stacks with a sort of ferocious grace and has a very powerful EQ, not to mention comp and channel blending. All this through a studio monitor-like cab and you have total control over your tone and can adjust to any environment. Plus the cab is light!

[​IMG]

Some runner ups: a Mesa Buster 200 through MAS Big E 26's, a Sound City 120 into '72 Ampeg 810, and an SVT through a Bag End deep 210/410 rig.

8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

mesa boogie d180 and two orange obc 115s, maybe not the best, but it's the nicest rig i'm ever going to have

9. MVE

MVE

I have owned, borrowed, rented, and used many many amps over the years. But, my favorite bass tone was always DI to the board and into a good set of studio monitors. I always tracked in the control room as I just loved the sound of my bass in the monitors.

Anyway, I have finally found a bass amp that captures that sound but with the room filling wallup of a great bass amp. I absolutely love my current rig, Demeter VTBP-201 with internal Minnie 800D into a Berg CN212.

It is the best sounding rig I have ever played through and I can carry it up and down stairs all by myself. :)

Attached Files: