1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best bass string gauge for drop c#

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pickftw, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Pickftw

Pickftw

I apologize in advance for this being the billionth thread on this subject but what will the best string gauge be for drop c#? I looked it up online and i kept reading stuff like getting a .125 and tune it up to c# I'm no bass expert but too me that sounds like the tension would be too tight too tune up that high. If this helps I will be playing metalcore on a Schecter omen extreme 4 in mainly drop c# and drop c at the lowest.
  2. KunkBass

KunkBass

I play in drop c and c standard on a schecter stiletto. I've been using 115 GHS boomers for a while now, and I think they're great. Loose, but not floppy and they sound huge.
  3. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I use medium Boomers (45 to 105) for drop C. I admittedly prefer lighter tension. I have my other bass with heavy boomers (115, same as the previous post), which works nicely as well, but they are less comfortable for my playstyle.
  4. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

That's only 1.5 steps down; tuning "up" a B string is 1. silly in the first place and 2. would be way too tight for that. I've had plenty of success with a standard (WITH the right setup) .105 set in C#, but that was because I was dropping down from Eb. If my bass was staying in that tuning I'd go for a .110 or .115 E.
    If you want off the shelf sets like that, I know Ernie Ball and DR make .110 "E" 4 string sets, or if you want something like Circle K's, check the link in my sig. :cool: They have dropped-tuned sets just for that. I use the .118 drop tuned set for Drop C.
  5. dorknowitzki

dorknowitzki

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector
    c# g# c# f#? we have the same tuning. medium gauge 105 - 45 should do it with the right setup from a luthier. not sloppy. not tight. just right.