Best bass string gauge for drop c#

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pickftw, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Pickftw

Pickftw

I apologize in advance for this being the billionth thread on this subject but what will the best string gauge be for drop c#? I looked it up online and i kept reading stuff like getting a .125 and tune it up to c# I'm no bass expert but too me that sounds like the tension would be too tight too tune up that high. If this helps I will be playing metalcore on a Schecter omen extreme 4 in mainly drop c# and drop c at the lowest.
  2. KunkBass

KunkBass

I play in drop c and c standard on a schecter stiletto. I've been using 115 GHS boomers for a while now, and I think they're great. Loose, but not floppy and they sound huge.
  3. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I use medium Boomers (45 to 105) for drop C. I admittedly prefer lighter tension. I have my other bass with heavy boomers (115, same as the previous post), which works nicely as well, but they are less comfortable for my playstyle.
  4. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

That's only 1.5 steps down; tuning "up" a B string is 1. silly in the first place and 2. would be way too tight for that. I've had plenty of success with a standard (WITH the right setup) .105 set in C#, but that was because I was dropping down from Eb. If my bass was staying in that tuning I'd go for a .110 or .115 E.
    If you want off the shelf sets like that, I know Ernie Ball and DR make .110 "E" 4 string sets, or if you want something like Circle K's, check the link in my sig. :cool: They have dropped-tuned sets just for that. I use the .118 drop tuned set for Drop C.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dorknowitzki

dorknowitzki

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector
    c# g# c# f#? we have the same tuning. medium gauge 105 - 45 should do it with the right setup from a luthier. not sloppy. not tight. just right.