Best Bass/Strings for Detuning?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ingemar, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Best Bass/Strings for Detuning?
    Any suggestions?
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer

I detune my Warwick Thumb 5 string down to ADGCF with just standard Warwick strings on it. you will want to have your action adjusted to keep from getting fret buzz
  3. bryan bailey

bryan bailey

Squier mustang with 90-35 roto steels on it.
  4. Ingemar

Ingemar

Isn't that a shortscaled bass with light strings?
    Does it work
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Well...it works. I dunno how well though, never used a detuned shortscale. However, I wouldn't reccomend a Squier in the first place!

I'd reccomend asking here for the bass, and perhaps the strings forum for the strings. It really depends on what kind of sound you're looking for, but any high gauge string should handle detuning fine.
  7. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

La Bella makes a string set that is designed specifically to be tuned D-G-C-F, if that's what you're lookin' for.
  8. Ingemar

Ingemar

Do You know the "modelname"?
  9. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

10. neptoon

neptoon

i've read a zillion posts on detuning and i find it interesting that most people want to use the strings that have in place used for standard tuning and just loosen them and wonder why the sound is so floppy...it's my experience that any bass and string will work great if the string's guage is consistent with the desired pitch...that way you keep a little more tension on the strings so they play a little tighter and the action can be set the way you like it without having to worry about a floppy string buzzing on it...ya know?
  11. Argali

Argali

So how would you approach tuning a bass for a side project a friend and I have going where we tune our guitars thusly: A♯-F-A♯-D♯-G-C? We were just discussing last night how we have no idea how any bassist would approach that tuning.
  12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

GHS Boomers have sets designed for downtuning, Ernie Ball has extra heavy sets, D'Addario too, I believe,

DR will custom make sets to suit anything you like, but I believe you have to buy so many at a time.

Me, I use Rotosound flats, they're high tension even in regular guages, so even tuned down the tension is good.
  13. Murphys Law

Murphys Law

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: SPECTOR® - Stuart Spector Designs, LTD.
    GHS Heavy Boomers, 50-115
    I use them on D tuning, 34" Scale. They do nicely. ;)
  14. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

Dingwall by far. I even detune the B down to Gb!!!!
  15. Argali

Argali

So what gauges would you use, specifically, if you were going to tune a bass A♯-F-A♯-D♯?
  16. PRUNEFACE

PRUNEFACE

Heavy, heavier, even heavier, heaviest.

Seriously though, I'm not positive. I only downtune to try and learn some SOAD songs.
  17. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Personally, I use my Spector 5-string and tune it down 1/2 step. The prog band that I am in uses that same tuning on a few songs, its basically a drop-D tuning lowered by 2 whole steps. I haven't found any instance yet where my tuning needs to match their tuning exactly.

Your best other option, if you are going to use a 4-string, is to best a set of string for a 5-string bass and throw away the highest string. If the bass it setup properly (correct width at the nut, appropriate action, etc.), it should not matter what kind of bass you use, but the strings are very important.
  18. Argali

Argali

Yeah, my thinking is you could take a 5-string bass and just lower the B and half-step, and you'd be close enough to where we are.
  19. Argali

Argali

I'm still curious though - in the latest issue of Guitar World, they transcribe Slipknot's "Duality" and give the bassist's tuning as B-F#-B-E. I guess you'd just use super-heavy strings for that, but wouldn't it feel "out of balance" - like the low B would be fine but everything else would be lowered about two steps and somewhat loose.
  20. Thingus995

Thingus995

some guys like their strings like they like their girls... flubby
  21. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

Unless. it's a Dingwall. At that height, they don't look (or feel) flubby ;)