Best Bass Strings For Plectrum Playing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paran0idAndroid, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Paran0idAndroid

Paran0idAndroid

I play with a pick and my fingers, what bass string can serve to both equally and really well? In my experience some strings sound really good with finger playing but suck with pick playing.
  2. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

I like DR nickel-plated Lo Riders. I tend to dig in with a pick a little, and I find the tension very comfortable, helps with fast picking with a little resistance.

I also find them to be comfortable for my fretting hand, too, as far as rounds go. They last a fair while too.
  3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Really any type of string. Depends on the overall tone you are after.
  4. Terracite

Terracite Supporting Member

The bad news: in Canada, most music stores seem to only carry the full line of Daddario's and just a sample of others that never includes quite what you're looking for.

The good news: Daddario nickels are pretty good for both fingers and pick.

If you're looking for strings that have the same sound with fingers and pick without re-eq'ing it might be a long search.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Due to a finger injury I play mostly with a pick, and I've been very happy with DR strings, especially Fat Beams on my G&L SB-2 and modded MIM Jazz. One of my J-basses now has Sunbeams, and they're great for maintaining a fat, heavy sound with a pick, but the Fat Beams have a little more "crunch," which sounds great in a band mix. I also like the tone of nickel Lo-Riders, but not their stiffness.
  7. Mechanical

Mechanical

Depends on the tone. Motown? Go with flats. Metal? Bright round wounds.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

More good news:

www.bassstringsonline.com ships to Canada for cheap. Order a few sets and it will probably overall cheaper than buying local, especially after the Talkbass user discount.
  9. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I find DR SS Low Riders to really for the bill. if you want even more aggressive, Roto SS Swing Bass 66.
  10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Uhhh, all of them?