1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Bass Synth pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dogwillhunt80, Sep 26, 2012.

1. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

Hi.

I did see that there was a thread just like this in the forum but that was dated in 2000.

I was wondering what currently is considered a favourite or best bass synth pedal available in North America? I live in Canada, if that helps. I am looking to purchase one and the Boss bass synth seems like a common one but I've heard mixed reviews about it, as well as the EHX bass synth.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

2. eriky4003

eriky4003

Tried recently (Aug 2012) Behringer BSY-600 and EHX Bass Synth. I was looking to emulate the sound of Taurus pedals and neither did the trick. Both had good sounds, just not what I was looking for.
    MarkBass Bass Synth is getting rave reviews. From what I've read though the Akai Deep Impact, which is out of production, is the one to get but really pricey and hard to find.

3. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

4. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

+1 lol

Seriously though, I just got a Pigtronix Mothership at my doorstep this morning...crazy in a box lol. Still have alot of learning to do with that thing but my first thoughts are, YES!!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

7. Kobaia

Kobaia

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    I hate that i can still hear so much of the bass coming through the BOD... Maybe I just dig the OC-2 too much

8. anton72

anton72

I have Akai Deep Impact. Nothng compares to it, honestly.

9. gricko

gricko

am i allowed to say markbass supersynth? ;)

10. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

How so? There is 3 separate voice controls. You can get rid of the original signal 100%

11. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Meh. It didn't work for me. I had high hopes for it, but... I don't know. I was just sort of unimpressed with its sounds. Different strokes... Some people who i really respect swear by it.

I found the EHX bass micro synth to be better for me, and I LOVE mine. The producible sounds are much more limited and the pedal isn't as versatile, but just sounded better to me. Also, it has the best response that I've found for any synth pedal.

12. Kobaia

Kobaia

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    I can still hear the frets, strings, and your hand moving on the neck. I used to have a the BOD i remember it being a very true octave down. Very clear and clean, and more dirty on the second octave. but the OC-2 doesn't let any that through....
    or maybe its the gate setting IDK. i just hear it.

13. kaputsport

kaputsport

Disclosures:
    Atypical, not a typical...
    +1:bassist:

14. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

Older EHX Bass Micro Synth for older 70s Moogey tones, for more modern electronica synth tones, I usually go Behringer BSY-600 into a chorus.

15. Phagor

Phagor

Depends on what kind of synth sounds you want to make, and your attitude to tracking, presets etc.

My memory of the Boss SYB5 is that the tracking on it was not solid - you will have to adapt your playing style to it, and be prepared for the occasional missing note or octave glitch.

The EHX BMS is good for dirtier old school sounds. No tracking issues, and fun to tweak, but no presets - you will probably just set up one sound for a gig. I have an old one - apparently they sound better than the new smaller model.

The Super Synth has a fat tone that sounds like a real synth, but you will need to change the settings on a computer. Tracking of pitch is great, but it will occasionally misread your articulation.

16. pietrocefa

pietrocefa

So, my 1 cent: Akai DI for sure, I got one, it's incomparable, but everyone know...expensive, rare, fragile ecc ecc, IMHO one of the best (surely for tracking) is digitech bass synth wha, followed or preceded by some good analog filter, a phaser, a dirt....
    The best synth is a combination of pedals, together with the joy of experimenting and experiencing ourselves.

17. pedulla1

pedulla1

There's a youtube video of the Digitech having tracking issues when playing fast. I think I saw a vid of the Akai also with tracking issues at fast rifts. EHX mico synth has zero tracking issues but no pre-set options.

18. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

+1 on the Akai Deep Impact SB1. It's hands-down the best I've ever used. It's a tad pricy though and can be hard to find at times.

FWIW, I'd get a 2nd one as a backup if the price and timing was right. It's THAT good!

19. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

Yes, the Akai requires some very clean playing sometimes. Really tight right AND left hand technique is very helpful to pull off the faster playing. It's all about being able to mute any excess frequencies, otherwise they get in the way and create tracking issues. A decent compressor helps too. On most stuff though, it has no problems with or without compressor. *There are also some really cool sounds that come out of that glitchy tracking too, if you like that stuff.

I had an EHX BMS with Exp Mod on the Stop Frequency (still have it if anyone is interested). It was a great concept and I love it but once I got the Akai, the BMS just lacked something in comparison. Good for the squarewave stuff but the syrupy filter stuff feels a little flat when you A/B them. *Tracking was pretty good though.

Anyway, good luck with the search. There's nothing like a great synth pedal. :bassist:

20. MBlom

MBlom

21. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

I've found that ALL synth pedals have tracking issues, EHX micro synth included. I think the Microsynth has the least issues that I've come across, but it certainly has issues. All of them require a change in technique, and all of them have issues if you let a note ring out long enough. The Microsynth is better with faster notes, but some of the settings (especially with the -1 Octave up as the predominant sound) do have tracking issues.