Best Bass Synth...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MaGrass, Apr 28, 2013.

1. MaGrass

MaGrass

I am looking to get a synth for some crazy chops...
    anyone has any suggestion?

Things i've tried out (and the ratings are based on my exp):

Electro harmonix: 7 out of 10
    Boss Synth: 8 maybe...

But is there anything else that can do a serious job without spending so much money like the moogerfooger with all its bits n bobs?
    I'd spend those money on a new rig rather than just an effect....

Let me know what you think guys :help:

2. Phagor

Phagor

What type of synth sounds are you looking for? Any synths/artists/songs you want to sound like? And how much money do you want to spend?

If you didn't like the EHX, I'm guessing you want a cleaner, tighter synth sound. Some options are:

MarkBass Super Synth
    Akai Deep Impact SB-1
    Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer
    Korg G5

If you're still awake and can't sleep, like me, here's a little bedtime reading!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/analog-synth-pedals-968410/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/synth-newbie-pedal-start-968109/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/markbass-super-synth-549766/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/ways-make-synth-bass-sounds-949749/

3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

IMO, get a real synth. I've very seldom heard a bass that sounds like a good synth. It can be done but.....you would need a crap load of pedals to get the entire modular synthisis rig going. Look up what John Davis of nerve is doing, I think he is one of the only dudes out there that really gets the tone right.

4. Down_Low

Down_Low

Gated fuzz + filter + octave. Do a search for 'synth' and you should find plenty of answers.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Best synth pedal is not a synth pedal but an octaver. The legendary boss oc2. Other than that I will just wait for source audio to design the synth pedal.

7. SneakerTrigger

SneakerTrigger

I've tried the Boss SYB-5 and was really disappointed ... the guitar variant of the EHX MicroSynth didn't work either ...

So, finally i decided to give the Octaver+Distortion+Filter(MF-101) variant a try ... wouldn't want anything else anymore ...

if you put a Line6 M9 behind that, you can get a lot of sounds, from straight moog-like synth bass to 80ies-style lead synths, and you won't lose the fatness (like with the boss pedal ... i think it really sounds thin).

You can google John Davis of Nerve ... his setup was a big inspiration for mine ...

8. gumtown

gumtown Supporting Member

Roland GR-55 an all in one does it all, 2 x independant PCM synths (910 tones each), 1 x modeling (basses, analog synths, and guitars), and multi effects, plus a basic looper and USB stick wave file sample/track player.
    It's also polyphonic using the GK-3 hex pickup.

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Mark bass SuperSynth. It's got real oscillators in it, rather than something trying emulate them.

10. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

:D

11. cnltb

cnltb

Moog Taurus...Proper.

12. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

There is no one pedal that checks all of the boxes for everybody. I have had everything mentioned on this page except the Deep Impact and the Moog Taurus.

GR-55- dealing with latency on lower strings sucks, there are some work arounds and a few other minor issues.

Octavius Squeezer- Great sound, horrible UI for making your own synth patches.

MarkBass SuperSynth-sounds good, tracks good but having to use the computer for all editing makes it a PITA when I took it to practice and I needed to adjust settings to make it fit in a mix.

Etc, Etc, Etc...

So my solution has been to spend a lot of money :D

I have an Octaver (OC2), a Synth pedal or two (MBSS, BSY600), I have a fuzz or two, Iron Ether Xerograph DLX with expression pedal, Mobius, PitchFactor.

I can get the Octaver>Fuzz>Filter for a base tone.
    I can use the synth pedals for a base tone and do manual sweeps with the Xero.
    And I always have movement from modulation on the top to bring some life into the sound, it is essentially how I add an LFO.
    The PitchFactor gives an Arpeggiator, Harmony (mocks more oscillators kind of), weird ambient verb and delay from the crystals, etc

13. MaGrass

MaGrass

Moog Taurus....awesome sound but 1500 bucks aren't so awesome for my tight musicians' pockets....But yeah, it comes from the guy/company that created synthesizers...fair enough.

I am looking right now at the Akai....not bad. It sounds tight overall but i am still not very sure....

just to clarify...i currently own an MXR bass envelope filter, Bass overdrive (boss)...i guess there's one bit missing and i could achieve the sound i want/need.

Also, I am not particularly looking to sound like a particular artist or band, just want to have a nice n punchy synth sound for some bits of music....i won't use more than twice in a show otherwise it will result in a totally predictable thing..

14. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

The MXR Bass Envelope Filter is nice, but definitely more of a funk/rock type filter. A Lowpass filter gets WAY more synthier (Moog, Iron Ether, Super Fatman, etc..)

I wouldn't describe OD as synthy per se. It could be an element in a synth sound maybe. Gated Fuzz is easier to get the synthy sound with (Iron Ether Oxide, Smallsound BigSound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine!, TONS more options...)

15. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I have a ton of synth examples on my sound clips pages. Make sure to go through all of the various effect pages as nearly all of them have some synth examples. Link is in my sig below.

16. groooooove

groooooove

korg G5 is significantly better than the others. it has bad bypass, but other than that the sounds / tracking are perfection.

17. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Sounds best when you have a BOSS OC-2 in front of it, drives the G5 down an octave which usually sounds much better. Plus you can then blend in the OC-2 which adds an additional dimension to the synth sound.

I have a bunch of G5 clips which can be found on my G5 page (obviously) and for whatever reason a bunch more on my general sounds clip page (not so obvious, no idea why I put them there)

18. Captain Bob

Captain Bob Supporting Member

Don't know a thing about it, but Red Witch sent me an email this morning regarding this....

19. Jawbone

Jawbone

+1 Best pick-up ever made: tried the BMS and others this unit tracks so well and is very versatile. Software interface is great as well.

20. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

The Akai Deep Impact still seems to be the standard by which all others are measured. Sadly, they are insanely priced when found for sale. There is one in great condition on Fleabay at 670.00 right now. And to be clear, I am in no way affiliated with the sale.

I just ordered the Markbass SS as general consensus is that tracking is respectable. I'll deal with the whole PC parameter adjustments. Not happy about it, but it appears to be the best answer for me at this time.

I have researched Synth bass topics for about the last 6 months. Why did it take me six months to pull the trigger? Because there is no single, stand out, reasonably priced answer.

21. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

I saw Adam Theis play with the Shotgun Wedding Quintet a couple of nights ago... he was using a Markbass SS and used it well.