1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best Bass VI for buck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J03YW, Feb 25, 2014.

1. J03YW

J03YW

I am stuck between the Fender VI, Squier VI, Eastwood Sidejack VI, the Agile Argus 3S, Agile Argus Toaster, the Agile Harm 30" and an Agile ST-630. The latter two are actually just baritone guitars with 30 inch scales, but I'm still interested. Right now I'm mainly leaning towards the Agile Argus with the Toaster humbuckers or the 3 single coil version. I'm on a decently tight budget.
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

If there's a Sam ash near you, the fender and Squier have the benefit of being played before you buy on their side.
  3. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Why not Zoidberg... I mean, Gretsch Jet Baritone? It comes with a Bigsby!
  4. J03YW

J03YW

Oooh... add that to the list. I'm a sucker for a Bigsby. However, I'm actually leaning towards one with single coils right now for some reason
  5. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Single coils are really cool on VI Basses. I was all about the Dead on 67 when it came out, because it was almost like a Bass VI, but I never got around buying one.
    Now there are 2 real Bass VI out there and I've not yet acquired one (When I had the dough I got something else). I tried them both.

Fender Pros:
    + It sounds killer.
    + CAR with matching headstock floats my boat!
    + The vibrato is quite stable.
    + Fender on headstock for the snobs.

Fender Cons:
    - The 5 way switch is not as cool as individual switches for each pickup.

Neutral:
    · The neck pickup sounds good, but I would change it for an accurate one.

Squire Pros:
    + Budget "cheap" but not "cheap" made.
    + A good sound.
    + The neck is a dream, bound and blocks is also on my turn on list.
    + Quite accurate pickups and switches.

Squire Cons:
    - Not-so-stable Tremolo.

Squire Neutral:
    · Sunburst finish is better made on Fender, but it's acceptable.
    · Upgrading it does not hurt like upgrading a $700 Bass.
  6. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

I only own the Squier VM Bass VI, but I can confirm the above - it's a budget instrument but does not feel even remotely cheap, and the only problem is the unstable tremolo because it doesn't have a locking button that stops it.

Also, the stock low E string is thinner than it should be and doesn't sound as full - a .095 from the Fender 5350 set should sound much better.
  7. THE SAW

THE SAW

Save your money.