Best bass you can get for under $1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by devonstone, Oct 17, 2011.

1. devonstone

devonstone

I'm a bassist on a budget. I'm really wanting a new bass and I prefer a five string. I need a great feel and a good tone. Any recommendations I should check out? Need something less than $1000
  2. FBS1996

FBS1996

Well, "good tone" is extremely vague. My idea of a fantastic tone could be someone else's idea of complete garbage. What music do you play?
  3. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Help TB help you man, as much detail as you can write about
  4. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Schecter Stiletto Studio 5. Play a few and find one that has the weight you like. Solid electronics, great build quality, good low Bs, and excellent tone and consistency. The only variance is the weight; there are some light ones, and some real boat anchors.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SteveC

SteveC

7. redcloud

redcloud

Carvin should be a place to look.
  8. metallicafan18

metallicafan18

Look for a used Spector Euro 5. Check the classifieds
  9. bassbenj

bassbenj

I'm sure if we took a poll here the the majority would agree that a Fender P-Bass, 5 string, American, with Flats and Tort pickguard is by far the BEST bass made. In fact, if it doesn't say Fender on it it really isn't a "real" bass at all!

Price new is about $1300, so to meet your "under $1000" you'll need to look around used.

(Of course to really be "best" it would have to only have 4 strings, but you did say you just "prefer" a 5 string)

Simple. Next question? :rolleyes:
  10. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Go to a store and play a TON of instruments. Find one that you like, and then look on the web to find one USED. There are SO many instruments to be had here on TB that you can do VERY well for under 1K. I have been playing semi-professionally for over 20 years, and have only spent over 1K on just a couple instruments (and I've owned over 75).
  11. devonstone

devonstone

I play mostly contemporary Christian, but I dabble a little bit in a lot of styles
  12. Herrick

Herrick

This Carvin looks like a good deal. I've never played a Carvin but I've heard nothing but good things about their basses and guitars. The only downside is that you'd have to wait a while for them to build it for you...unless you can find one in stock on their website.

Edit: RedCloud beat me to it.

Edit #2: Hey mang, I hear the Yamaha BB 5-strings are very good. And they're passive. There are two here which are under $1,000. Happy Hunting good sir :)
  13. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

USED Lakland Skyline
  14. Infrasonik B.

Infrasonik B.

Since no specific tone is mentionned, I will suggest one that can (pretty much) do them all!

Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass

MIM with American parts (just get it set up and save the MIA price)

P/J with pretty darned good stock pups

Passive/Active

Active EQ with Bass, Mids & Treble boost/cut

D-Tuner for alternate tunings

Long list of sweet features for a bass in the 800-900 (new) range (depending on location and haggling abilities)
  15. portlandguy

portlandguy

A used Fender MIA jazz
  16. devonstone

devonstone

Anyone have any experience with Warwick rockbasses? I play a Warwick corvette 5 at church occasionally and really like it but don't know what kind of a step down I would be dealing with going to a rockbass, my local guitar stores don't keep Warwick
  17. woodsideh

woodsideh

18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Buy used, Warwick especially.
    I've owned, bought and sold several real Germany Corvettes for a grand or less.
  19. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    +1.

Used Fender Jazz/Precision, Warwick Corvette/Thumb BO, Musicman Stingray/Sterling/Bongo..... there are TONS of used basses out there under $1k.

What I love, you may hate.
  20. Dezter

Dezter

LAKLAND 55-02 or FENDER JAZZ OR PRECISION
  21. Mister Ed

Mister Ed

I have a RB Corvette. Build quality is good, very playable neck, hardware is solid. Only issue I have is with the preamp. Mine is active, and the Crystal Sound pre is cheap, and sounds like it.