1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best basses under $1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paran0idAndroid, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Paran0idAndroid

Paran0idAndroid

I've been playing for a year now and have improve quite drastically in my playing. My first and current bass is a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special HB. The bass is very good for a beginner, but I feel that I have already exceeded that barrier. So, what basses should I try to buy that are under $1000? I'm thinking of getting a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass but I'd like to know if I have other options.

Thanks, :bassist:
  2. Reptileroundabo

Reptileroundabo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist for Spector basses
    Im sure your going to get the same response from most the tb'ers, Go to your local shops, or not so local if you get some time and try every bass on the wall until you find one that you like. It is a large investment, and most likely something your going to have for a while. You may even find something that doesn't cost close to 1000 bucks that you love. Just because it is more expensive, doesn't make it better for you.
  3. Paran0idAndroid

Paran0idAndroid

Hey thanks for responding. Yeah I'm new to this forum so I might ask some really dumb questions.
  4. kbass00

kbass00

Stingray, you can get the used for $1000 or less. Check craigslist, you can get lucky sometimes.
  5. kbass00

kbass00

I forgot to add, if you want 24 frets Warwick corvettes are awesome IMHO.
  6. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Look into used Carvins.
  7. NightCat

NightCat

8. electracoyote

electracoyote

If someone gave me $1,000.00 and I could chose from all the basses in that price point, I think I'd just about lose my mind trying to decide. There are so many GREAT basses for that price. The competition is just ridiculous these days, and a grand gets you a TON of bass guitar.

But let's start with what you know: A humbucker equipped four-string. You may be tempted to stay with Fender products, but if not, my knee jerk reaction is Ernie Ball Music Man. I was pleasantly surprised at how Leo's second company capitalized and improved on his earlier designs. The circuitry is very similar to your Jag. But if you want to go with passive instead, I like the suggestions for a Jazz.
  9. Paran0idAndroid

Paran0idAndroid

Great responses guys! Yeah I've been in quite a rut. I saved up all summer long and now I have to choose from many basses. Keep em coming ;)
  10. Fluid Power

Fluid Power

Fender American Jazz Special. Very close to the double priced American Standard. Has the "Grease Bucket" control circuit. Can find them for under $1K, new or used. I did!
    IMHO
  11. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

The Geddy is a great bass. I have a Ric that I bought in 1977 and a Jon Hill custom bass and I like playing the Geddy as much as the other two. You can probably get one for around $600. That's about what I paid for mine.
  12. Paran0idAndroid

Paran0idAndroid

Yeah Geddy is one of my favourite bassists of all time. I would kill for a Ric but its way expensive and hard to find in my area :atoz:
  13. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

used avri 62 p or j.

not the "best" but its what I'd go for.
  14. Paran0idAndroid

Paran0idAndroid

As for the American Special basses, you just added another contender in my list ;)
  15. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Keep in mind . . . if you have a killer Squier, a Fender may not necessarily be an upgrade. They usually will be. But there are variations from instrument to instrument, and the Squier you have now could end up being better than the Fender you replace it with. Try before you buy.
  16. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Supporting Member

A used Carvin SB or a Lakand 5502 would be my choices
  17. ebannist

ebannist

Yeah! I second the Reggie Hamilton bass. Hands down the best overall bass for every occasion. You won't be disappointed.
  18. Paran0idAndroid

Paran0idAndroid

Looks good to me, thanks :)
  19. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Used Fender American Standard.
  20. Paran0idAndroid

Paran0idAndroid

Yeah I like the p/j pickup combo in the bass. Never played a p j combo before so maybe.