Best Bassists of the 2000's On

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by alecduncan, Feb 14, 2014.

1. alecduncan

alecduncan

Hey guys, I wanted to make a thread bringing attention to a few bassists who have influenced me tremendously and bring innovation to the instrument! The twist is that the bassist has to only be active from the 2000's on - I'm not putting Colin Greenwood or Eric Judy on here because their bands started off in the 90's.

Alden Penner - The Unicorns

The Unicorns are probably the most influential to me from this list, and Alden's basslines are frantic, memorable and melodic for the entirety of the band's work. Listen to the bass solo in "Tuff Ghost"

Jesse Murphy - Brazilian Girls

Funky, danceable and appropriate for the band's pop sensibilities. Listen to the band's cover of "Crosseyed and Painless" for his best work.

Tyler Pope - LCD Soundsystem/!!!

James Murphy wrote a majority of LCD's bass parts but Tyler Pope is responsible for writing and performing the most energetic components of their sets. For such a large band to have a bass that stands out SO much is incredible and really reminds me of the Boulder/Murray Bowie style. He's skilled at playing relatively simple lines with a ton of passion, like in "Home".

Jesse Keeler - Death From Above 1979

Not quite as underrated as the others on this list, but Jesse Keeler is probably one of the most iconic bassists of the generation - no one else can make the fuzzy treble of a Ric so danceable. Definitely can't wait for the new album. Check out Keeler's style on "Going Steady".

Who are your picks for 2000's bassists who need more recognition?
  2. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

The first one I think of is Tye Zamora of Alien Ant Farm. He's awesome.
  3. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jeremy Davis - Paramore

I've been a big fan of Paramore since 2007, his playing reminds me of Duff McKagan, but also Tony Levin with all the very low, rumbling notes (he tunes to C#) he plays. Always sounds great, really awesome bassist, although since he's in a "pop-punk" band, he doesn't get a lot of love.

http://youtu.be/MPNrIAK-ous

His playing was 100% at this show, especially on Misery Business, Part II and Brick by Boring Brick. Their replacement for Ilan Rubin looks a bit like Philip Seymour Hoffman IMO.
  4. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Paolo Gregoletto of Trivium is one of my favorite modern bassists. I personally thing he's the best of the "New American Metal" bassists. I did a long-ass writeup on him a while ago. He's one of the few bassists I know in metal who switched from pick to fingers and has actually evolved in his playing, from root-plugging to having his own solos in songs.