1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best book to learn with

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bravemansdeath, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Bravemansdeath

Bravemansdeath

Can't really afford lessons at the moment - is there a book or video series you found most informative?

I really love funk and soul - definitely drawn to fingerstyle and slap....but at the end of the day I appreciate all music and would love to grow into a well rounded player....
  2. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

There's also plenty of online places to learn as well.

http://scottsbasslessons.com/ (Can't endorse this guy enough)

http://playbassnow.com/ (Also a great resource)

And if you really want some ink and paper, the Hal Leonard series of instructional bass books are highly recommended (by me :D)
  3. Bravemansdeath

Bravemansdeath

Thanks man....I really appreciate it
  4. SteC

SteC

Standing in the shadows of Motown ;) And http://www.studybass.com/

Read around on here and search for what you need. A lot of what you need is online. But save up for a teacher who can tailor the stuff to you.
  5. Lo-E

Lo-E

Another vote for both Scott's and Studybass. Great web sites.

I learned from the Chuck Rainey series, but that was years ago. I think the Hal Leonard/Ed Freidland books are an even better way to go nowadays.
  6. oldno.7

oldno.7

As others have suggested, scottsbasslessons.com has some great material covering beginner to advanced topics and the presentation is well thought out.

FWIW, I'd also recommend Mel Bay's Electric Bass Method 1 by Roger Filberto. Great book on which to get started.
  7. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

+1 for Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

As far as technique (as in, how to properly move your hands and fingers) I highly recommend finding a good instructor in your area and at least taking SOME lessons. He/she can look at your hands and tell you HOW you are wasting motion, not getting your fingers in the right position, or what to do if you have hands shaped differently than your favorite bass player.

For instance, using "1 finger per fret" on the low notes is a good way to sprain and maybe permanently wreck your hand, unless you have large hands. Try using your pinky and ring finger together as one finger - use your hand like you only have 3 fingers and move your arm around more, instead of noodling on the entire fretboard.

I'll get back to you on books I've found useful. They're in a crate at my temporary apartment. Ha.

I will say this, tho... I don't recommend going with one teacher/book series. You'll probably just end up sounding like a pale shadow of that person. Try a book from Mel Bay, then a book from Hal Leonard, then a book from Josquin des Pres, etc. Mix it up, get the gist, and then start trying to apply. Don't just "copy and paste." I think my first two books were Josquin des Pres. I was half way thru the second before I said, "These feel like the exact same grooves." So I listened ahead to the CD, compared it to the first... They pretty much were the same book.
  8. sammyp

sammyp

if you are set on a book go with Hal Leonard Bass Method if you wanna learn to read music.

If you just wanna get your hands going with tab, try Hal Leonard Fast Track book 1 and 2 ....all sorts of essential grooves and tech with play along CD .....book 2 will branch into slap, funk, reggae grooves. book 1 is general rock, blues grooves.