Best budget mic you have used

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by fuzzy beard, Feb 15, 2014.

1. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

What is the best sub $200 mic you have used for bass?

2. squirefan

squirefan

Shure SM58 or SM57

3. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

^^^^^^^^^

Can't go wrong here.

4. Doll

Doll Versus Doll

+1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Ovid made a copy of the DPA 4099B, but apparently it's now out of production, since Thoman Music lists it as out of stock until December of 2014. The entire mic, mount and case were less than $150.00.

Ric

7. miner

miner Supporting Member

I'll have to go with the sm57!

8. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
  9. Major Softie

Major Softie

Shure Beta 57. Really nice for baritone vocals. Not that many of them out there.

Our main vocal mic is Beta 87. Superb for acoustic instruments as well, but misses your budget rule by about $50.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1

11. wmheilma

wmheilma

12. Champagne

Champagne

Radio shack tie mic
    Atm450 can be had for sub $200 with the right supplier. ;-)

13. Champagne

Champagne

Do you plan on using these with an amp? If so, know the amp's voicing will greatly alter what any microphone sounds like.

14. Mandobassman

Mandobassman

I will second this. I asked this similar question a couple of years ago and tried the Radio Shack tie clip mic, based on a Forum members suggestion. I am still using it nearly two years later and am still blown away at how much better my bass sounds than it ever did with any pickup. It is so easy to use and sounds great every time. Cost: $33.

Check the thread titled "Micing with a bass amp" to see how many others have made out using it.

the sm57 is fine for bass but is a hassle to mount for the best sound (IMO). Once I mounted the RS mic, it has stayed in place and just plug into my amp just like I would a pickup.

15. Phil Redman

Phil Redman

Shure SM48. Yes, that's right, SM48; not SM58. The SM48 is a lower output version of the 58 but with the same form factor and rugged build. Works great in the bridge, just like a 58. At reasonable volumes it easily outperforms any pickup I've ever used. I've seen them new for as little as $30.

16. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Sennheiser E609 in the bridge. Around $100.

17. Champagne

Champagne

Here are some mic samples

Note: it appears the recorder placed the mics in front of the bass like you would in a controlled studio environment. At least you will get the idea as far as tonal differences between mics.

18. Smoof

Smoof Supporting Member

I've had great luck with an Audix micro D. I used it at bethel woods last spring and the sound engineer was quite impressed. I had an H Clamp lying around and the shock mount fit directly on the rod of the clamp. They run under $190 (I got mine new for $150) It's a condensor, but hypercaridoid. I also usually only run that to FOH but works pretty well through an AI
    http://www.audixusa.com/docs_12/specs_pdf/MICRO-D.pdf

19. tyb507

tyb507

I've been using an EV Cardinal mic I got on ebay for about $60, and new they are less than $150, I think. It's great for recording, and I've used it for FOH sound on my bass while I use my amp for stage sound and sound guys seem to like it (for whatever that's worth. I haven't tried running it into an amp yet because I don't have a good stand (to keep it close to the bass), and I haven't tried it a loud volumes, but I expect it might be not handle that very well. In my experience, great for moderate-volume b-grass and jazz stuff w/o drums. Full disclosure, I'm an amplification dunce.

20. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

Just picked up a Blue encore 200. It uses phantom power, but the 100 doesn't. Nice mic.

21. RHayton

RHayton

Champagne, how do you mount the radio shack tie mic on the bass?