1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Buy Experience...Questions & Observations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turtle71, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

So, I was at Best Buy w/ the wife as she wanted a new laptop...well I quickly got bored of that and thought I'd go goof around in the "music dept." for a while.

I few things stood out to me..

They had a MIA Standard P-bass, it was not a "Special" it was black and played quite nice and was setup pretty well(see related story below), but a glance at the serial number indicated it was a 2008??? How does Best Buy come by this bass? It wasn't there last week, so I assume it came from another store?? The plastic was still on the pickguard & it had all the original case candy, so I assume it's not a return... anyway they are asking $808 and I'm actually considering it....thoughts?

I'm not opposed to buying a musical instrument from Best Buy, though it does seem a little wierd. The price seems "fair" but...

If I buy a 2008 Fender "new" do I still have the Fender warranty if there are any issues down the road??

Second observation...I played probably 10 Fenders & Squiers...NOT ONE was in tune, and 75% of those were nearly unplayable (bad neck issues, horrible setup etc...). :eyebrow:

I understand that their "music dept" isn't their main focus, but you'd think they would at least tune the instrument anyway... /rant.

2. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

NOS - New Old Stock. It'll still be under warranty. It's probably knocked down cheap because they've had it a while.

3. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I would have zero expectations visiting the "music department" at a Best Buy and I wouldn't buy an instrument from them. There are too many small music shops struggling as it is without Best Buy monopolizing that part of the market as well.

4. Turtle71

Ahh, yeah that makes sense, I got a NOS P-bass from GC a couple weeks ago...I just wasn't aware that BB was stocking MIA stuff, all I ever see is the "cheap import" stuff there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Turtle71

This is kinda my thought...I love a cheap/good deal, but I somehow feel weird buying a musical instrument from BB.

The problem always seems that the "mom & pop" shops have a tough time being in compitition with the big box stores, and in the current economy I'm sure alot of people are shopping with their wallets in mind....

7. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Best Buy? More like Worst Purchase! ;)

But, if you like the Fender and everything's in good working shape, go for it! Definitely seems like a case-by-case instance so far as Best Buy's instruments go.

8. cbrophy

cbrophy

2008 was a good year for the MIA Fender P....$808 is a good price...If you like it, and it plays well....that's a good deal. Buy it. Who cares what store you're in!

9. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

You can over-think a good deal until it's gone. I'd ask for another $100 off for a cash today purchase. Pickup some headphones with the savings and head for home.

10. Turtle71

I'll probably stop by again on the way home. noodle around with it a bit more, I don't really need another bass...but I don't have a black one yet...:smug:

11. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

I kind of doubt Best Buy does any kind of bartering.

12. Suatie

Suatie Supporting Member

A friend of mine bought an identical MİA Fender Standard last week from the Best Buy in Miami, and I got it from him in a trade. It had never even been outside its case. I am guessing Fender found a bunch of these in a warehouse somewhere. What a great deal. I think know I am going to put mine up for sale but I could not resist the deal.

13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Ugh, Best Buy. I went to one during my lunch break to buy an ASUS TF300T 32GB because I wanted a 10" Android tablet at a decent price, and pointed to the display model and told the sales rep I wanted that exact model. He proceeds to ring me up and tells me it's $50 off, which is also the difference in price between the 16GB and 32GB models. I pick up the box, sure enough it's a 16GB model. I point this out, and he tells me that the one I was looking at was the same, but the card was a misprint. I point out I've researched them for several days and he is wrong, he looks me in the eye and tells me I am wrong, it's only avail in a 16GB model (btw it's also avail in 64GB). I turn to leave and he suddenly discovers that they indeed do have it in 32GB. I'm pissed, but I'm already there ready to buy so I turn back, only to be told they're not in stock. Had I not been there during my lunch break I'd have asked to see a manager.

I hit 2 other Best Buys yesterday and while I wasn't jerked around they weren't much more informed and I still don't have the tablet. I can't see ever trusting them with bass gear.

14. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies

I like to save a dollar here and there as much as the next guy, and I certainly don't have any extra money to spare, but I would definitely pay a little more at a local mom and pop place for the same exact thing. How much extra would I be willing to spend? Probably close to $100 in this case. Other than an outright return, try going back to them with any issues you have regarding the instrument & I'm pretty sure they'll be useless in that department. That being said, If someone lives out in the middle of nowhere and BB or Wal-Mart is your only option ... I get it. Edit: OP- certainly not trying to make you feel bad about a possible great deal. If the instrument speaks to you from a small corner of BB ~ go for it and ENJOY IT!

15. Turtle71

This^^^

I have seen on at least 2 different occasions the "appliance" guy trying to sell guitars...I've spoke with him...he doesn't know much about either...:rollno:

I think you really need to just know what you want going in (to the music dept.), because your not likely to get much help otherwise.

16. zachoff

zachoff

The last few times I've been to Best Buy I've found the basses there have been better cared for than the basses I've played at Guitar Center.

17. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I don't play well.
    I wouldn't expect them to be in tune. I always have to tune the basses I play at GC and Sam Ash and those are music stores... If BB doesn't even keep their TVs calibrated, I wouldn't expect them to do better in the music dept.

18. Turtle71

No worries...you didn't make me feel bad. :p

Actually there are several decent choices for music gear in the area..

Heid Music
    GC (Madison & Milwaukee & Rockford)
    Cream City (Though I haven't gone there yet).

In this case, for me, it's just more about the price of this particular bass (and the fact it plays well, and will only need some minor adjustments)...I figured it's a good deal, I have the cash, why not? ;)

We'll see if it's still there this evening on the way home.

19. carl h.

carl h.

The last time a made a significant purchase I had to argue with the manager for 1/2 hour to get them to price match themselves. They would match the price of any vendor online except themselves, how stupid is that?

20. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

The musical instruments section came on strong a few years ago there at BB. Since it seemed out of place with the rest of the customer base, it has been void of much activity and I dont think we will see the instruments section for very much longer. From the looks of it, they sold off alot of good quality instruments a year ago and just stock the room with mostly mid/low class stuff. All the knobs are dissappearing from the amps, etc.

I would keep our eyes open for the "BB Getting out of the Instruments Businees Sale" pretty soon. then it would be time to pick up stuff at 50% off. Then I can afford that $25 Gibson T-Shirt finally.

21. carl h.

carl h.

It has already happened at some locations. There was a news story about BB shuttering a bunch of Canadian outlets today.