1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best cab for LOUD voulmes, Full range, and fuzz tones?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by oinkbanana, Nov 6, 2012.

1. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

What cab would you recommend for a pants flapping experience
    that can also do good fuzz tones without sounding tinny (meaning no horns!) and doesn't sound rolled off in the high end?

too much to ask for?
    :bag:
  2. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

A tweeter-less fearful is awfully nice for over-the-top fuzz.
  3. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality Supporting Member

My Greenboy Dually does all of that quite well! But you're going to have to tell us your budget, if you have a speaker size preference, etc.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

My 1515/66 does what you are looking for.
  5. DaZombieWoof

DaZombieWoof

+1 on Dually. Shocking volume and great for finding every rattle in the entire building.
  6. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

ok
    been doing some reading about these cabs
    not a lot of online clips though
    I'm not exactly certain how they're different then PA boxes...? will read more

one piece of information I haven't been able to find is the crossover points
    It seems like the 6.5" driver covers stuff above 1khz
    how high does that 6.5" go with no horn?
    Is there a low pass on the 15" driver?

what about frequency range of the Dually?

or the fEARful 1515/66 vs FEARLESS F215wide
    (what's the difference between fearful and fearless? are they both greenboy designs?)

budget... I figure 1500$ is a good starting spot.
    I put my two SVT810 cabs on CL cause i'm just not happy with them.

weight is NOT really an issue (a few days ago i was considering an ampeg PR810H @ 200lbs)
  7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I use a Barefaced Super 15, works great, pretty comparable to the Fearful Dually, If guitar cabs go high enough for your purpose, it should be fine.
  8. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

If two SVT 8x10's ain't doing it for you are you sure your ears aren't damaged?
  9. CL400Peavey

The fEARfuls differ from pa boxes in the sense that one would need subs and mains to cover the same range. The 18sound mid driver covers most bass players needs and stays pretty strong up to around 6khz or so. And yes there is a full passive cross over low passing the 15's, and high passing to the mid drivers.

As far as the Dually goes you have your choice of Emi Kappalite 3015 which is pretty strong to around 5khz, or the Faital Pro 15PR400 which might extend a tad higher. Both are run full range in the Dually.

As far as the differences between the 1515/66 and the f215, it would depend on what tuning you use. If you never go lower than "drop A" then you wont notice any loss in low end on the 215, it feels a little tighter from what I have been told. Mids are a little different, and it has comes with two mid voicing available. Also yes they are both greenboy designs, and available through his authorized builders. The plans for the fEARful line are free, but the fEARless line is only available through the builders.

Now for a sound clip, just a little distortion via my Tonehammer pedal into a channel strip, then a power amp. Very minimal EQing going on here.

If you take a look through my listed gear and see a combo you might want a clip of, PM me and I will see what I can do.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014 at 3:58 AM
  10. MrPierre

MrPierre

I play with exactly that kind of sound.

I use a lot of agressive fuzz (a Dwarfcraft TGD)while trying to keep as much low-end as possible.

I use an Ampeg 4x10 with the horn turned off. IMHO cabs with multiple smalls speakers are more effective for fuzz-tone.

BUT

Two week ago I played a gig with a vintage Traynor ported 2x15 and that thing, despite being nearly 40 years-old, was ten time more effective than my ampeg at the same volume on my amp.

Since then, I have been browsing the web for a used 2x15...
  11. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

The Berg NV412 should be at the top of your list. I pummel mine - it handles big power great, and the 12s sound killer with dirt; my guitar sounds great through it as well - nice top end with those drivers. There are a lot of videos on my Youtube page. My Bag End S15s also fit the bill very nicely if you want something more compact.
  12. rodl2005

rodl2005

+1 on the NV412, I haven't been able to max it out yet
  13. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    when JGR says he plays loud he gives new sonic territory to the word. He sets new Land Sound Records with his NV412. I THOUGHT I was pushing mine until I heard what it was capable of at Jonathans house.
  14. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Yup! I don't have the Berg but I play a Mesa PH412 which is what I switched to after my 810e wasn't cutting it anymore. Super happy with this cab. I'd definitely recommend checking one out if you don't go the fearful route.
  15. CL400Peavey

So I assume you will stay with your SVT? What tuning do you play in?
  16. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

ears are fine, i'm doing fine too.

exactly the kind of nasty fuzz i'm talking about, but if the svt810 i have isn't cutting it, not sure how the 410 would either. too much roll off of high frequencies.

I've played into vintage traynors, and I'm always REALLY worried that the sub/pant flapping sounds i'm after are going to tear the speakers.

compact isn't necessary. I hecked out your videos but I didn't come across anything that was fuzzy. I noticed you had the Berg NV215, how does that compare to the 412, and any idea why the 215 got discontinued?

yeah, definitly like what the SVT-VR does to my tone. never want to go back to SolidState heads. tuning - we play in Drop A
    (but I'm looking for something for my synth.... :ninja:. )
    I've been biamping into the svt-VR & Orange OTR120 into SVT810 and PPC412 cabs with Vintage30 speakers. I need to consolidate the two stacks into one, and the 810 isn't getting me the top end that the guitar cab was getting me, and the guitar cab doesn't get me the lows the 810 delivers. I need the best of both. but lets keep saying it's for bass... :bag:

I'm liking the idea of going with the Berg412 or the Mesa412. I'm really worried about the resale value of the fearfuls being very low. (I've gone through so much gear over the years that resale is a huge factor at this point. hopefully the search ends.
  17. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Love my Mesa "412" setup. IME I've found I like the "breakup" of a hard pushed 12" driver for that kinda thing vs the traditional 10" or 15" driver. If the Mesa PH412 or PH212x2 config wasn't available I've have the NV412.
    But, it is, so I play two PH212's. :D
  18. nelsonhays

nelsonhays

I have an Ampeg 215 from '77 with Eminence Delta drivers, and it is BRUTAL! I absolutely love the tone.

I originally got it with a V4 head, and when this thing is powered by some overdriven tubes it has the best fuzz tone I have ever encountered. There's something about big drivers and tubes that really work for me.
  19. iualum

iualum

Yep, no question. Eminence Kappa Lite 3015LFs & 18Sound 6ND410s.
  20. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    My experiments have found that heavy distortion tone expectations
    Indeed seem to be best realised in the twelve inch speaker.
    [​IMG]
    Old Laney big two by twelve with a pair of EV 12 short basket type S.
    Two Tannoy i12 cabs with a Altec 417 series II in one and a JBL D120f in the other.
    A 12" sub kick and a 6 X 5" column speaker (bright box).
    Sorted!:bassist:
    PS there is a spare pair of ATC 12" in case I want the Laney cab to drop lower than it does with the very mid forward EVS's but I love them with great ribbon mic's on em!.
    PPS Which driver in a fearful is full range? there are no crossover components in my distortion expectations.