Best Cab(s) for PF 800 - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Quaff1, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Quaff1

Quaff1 Supporting Member

Hi All - I am seriously considering a PF 800 and I am wondering what cabinets you guys would recommend.

I want something that sounds great but is light and affordable - so I am leaning towards a couple of PF 115 HE's.

Using one for practice and small to med size gigs and having the second for serious jam sessions or larger venues when needed.

I would love to hear opinions and experiences with the PF cabinets and any others that you would recommend checking out.

I generally play hard/classic/party rock type music - originals and covers - so definitely want that full Ampeg rock sound.

Thanks!
    Jason
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That would be a good choice, most certainly. Any of the PF cabs would. Only thing I'd caution you about is knowing when to back off the volume, as it's possible to blow those smaller PF cabs with a PF800 if you give them too much juice. Great head, though...probably my favorite of the PF's.
  3. Quaff1

Quaff1 Supporting Member

Thanks Jimmy - if I running one a 8 ohms the amp is at 400 watts which is the same as the cab rating - no?
  4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I like the PF 115, but am I the only one who thinks the 450 watt RMS power rating seems overly optimistic?

Any pair of matching quality cabs, be they both 210, 112, or 115 should work well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey, Ampeg employees are my friends ;)

Yeah, it's optimistic. However, the cabs do take a good pounding before they start farting out. I'd estimate somewhere around 250w.

Quaff, forget the numbers and use common sense, meaning, if the cab sounds like it's going to explode, it will.
  7. Quaff1

Quaff1 Supporting Member

Thanks - any other thoughts, experiences out there?

Anyone try this with GK NEO 212's?