1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Cabinet(s) for around $800

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Journey55, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Journey55

Journey55 Supporting Member

Hello,
    Let me start off by saying that just a good cab is in question, I know that a new head would help but circumstances prevent it.
    Okay so I play with my school's jazz band (I'm kind of the electronic-savvy guy or something) and recently the cabinets we have been using for the bass amp (some GK 210 and 115) have been slipping in and out of being blown (the other bassist, without my knowledge, has been poking the speakers with a pencil through the grill after they sound blown and it fixes it temporarily). So I recently brought this up with the band director who asked if I would look into some cabinets to replace the ones we have (she is more of a brass player, so she doesn't know about bass stuff too much). She said around $800 for both (or one good one I assume) but it can be a little more if its a really good one.

So we're playing through a GK Backline 600 which is pretty good in of itself and the band director wants a nice warm 'fat' tone (kinda like JPJ on Dazed and Confused). We're using a MIA Jazz Bass and an Upright with a Pickup on it if it matters.

My question is, what cabinet would be best? At first glance these popped out to me:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-svt-410he-bass-enclosure

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...ass-speaker-cabinet-with-horn/h70810000001001

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/aguilar-gs-410-bass-cabinet

She did ask for like 4 or so choices so, any input would help, Thanks!

2. IPYF

IPYF

Question the first: Is it the only cab the school will have or are there other combos and things lying around the place?
    I used to hate it at school when some other kid was using the only bass amp in another room somewhere.

The reason I ask is maybe it's better for the school to replace their 2 separates with 2 separates rather than a single separate. For this kind of dough you could get your school a lot of options rather than a great single cab. If it were me maybe I'd recommend getting a deal on an Ashdown ABM 410 and 115. That would give you tonnes of warm headroom and 2 cabs for around a grand.

Any of the single cabs you've listed here would be fine for your purposes. But for functionality's sake I'd be looking to replace your school's 2 cabs with 2 cabs. Also; it's a school so you want to be able to move about without needing 3 kids to carry each unit. Maybe even go a couple of 210s instead. Your back with thank you when you're old like me.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

4. Journey55

Well there's only one amp head and two bassists as is, but we alternate songs so its not too bad, not to mention both of us are seniors so come next year there will only be one.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IPYF

IPYF

There's only 2 bass players in your entire school?
    Lucky devil you are. They were like flies on a sheep at my school - but I was always the best*.

Still get 2 cabs though man. Think of a not immediate future where there could possibly be more than 2 bass players and more than one amp. $800 buys you a lot of options. As B has graciously shown you above two of those NEO112s would see you in a nice place for that warm tone and would be easy to tote about the place. They would dominate under that Backline head.

*possible lie.

7. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

8. B-string

Multiple bass player in High School? I was the only one, of course it was the late '60s early '70s. Was chosen to fill in for vacationing bassist in the local Philly in my county after graduation. I miss having a upright in my grip.

9. bobalu

bobalu

The Hartke AK series (410 and a 115) are excellent sounding, road worthy and affordable. I believe you could get 2 cabinets for $800.00. I have two 410's and they have been my gigging cabinets for the past year and a half. Bullet proof and Ampeg-ish sounding (wonderful!).

10. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Bag End D10BX D It's 2x10 but a monster cab.

I might be biased.

11. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

A pair of Traynor tc112s would work well with that head. Durable, probably a little more upright friendly feedback wise, nice dense grill so goons couldn't poke them with pencils.

12. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

Get in touch with Carvin to see if they will help you guys out. Maybe they will do a discount or something since it's for a school.

The BR115 cab is awesome too. Two of those and you can cover all ground. Old stuff gets a bad rap. The new stuff is really great! I use two (with another 2x15") in a loud rock band.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

How about contacting GK for replacement speakers? Maybe a school discount? Get some guys in a shop class to install them if you can't. Save some cash!

Tell that other guy to stop poking the speakers! some kind of ocd thing? I mean, how did he learn how to do that? How can poking speakers be good for it?

Seems to me that he may have caused the original problem. :(

If the speakers aren't actually blown and the fuzz is caused by the pokes, even using plastic window screen with some kid's glue would stop almost all the problem. Something to take a look at even before ordering replacements. Find someone who can help with some advice. Maybe a local music store or someone at your school can assist.

14. Journey55

Okay so I just came back on here..and it was the other person's fault that it blew, it was blown beforehand and idk where he got the idea for poking it with a pencil but it worked for a bit...regardless;
    I was talking to my band director about the separate cabinets and such and she said she wanted one cohesive cabinet, so I showed her these;
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...GAN1&clickid=0004d03b299e2ab70aec8eaad200341f
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...f-classic-series-bass-cabinet/603065000000000
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...n-krueger-410rbh-800w-4x10-bass-cab-with-horn
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...neo-4x10-bass-speaker-cabinet/601092000000484
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...GAN1&clickid=0004d03b28aeb8090aec9741e5004ae9

and we're gonna pick one Wednesday so I figured I'd ask for you guys' input on which cabinet to pick (out of those listed) although I'm doing some research on them atm...thanks for your replies!

15. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Carrots...

16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have two Ampeg SVT 410HE cabs and love the way they sound. You might want to find out if you are allowed to buy used. (some school systems do not allow this because they must assign all purchases to a purchase order number). If you can buy used you should be able to get an SVT 410HE for between $300 and $400 which will leave you enough for a good used head.

17. B-string

I see you are stuck on the poor dispersion design of a 410.
    The RBH 410 is a great cab, very durable and very heavy. Other than that, play through them. There are many better designs than the 410, but your mind seems to be stuck there.

18. IPYF

IPYF

Additionally the base level of the budget seems to have expanded which is a bit odd.

If I had to choose I would get the GK. But only because it would have the same badge as the amp and having a set of something is always nice (for a good example of this see the game Monopoly). With that Backline amp all those 410s are essentially going to sound very similar, and be equally loud so you would be more or less splitting hairs between this group of cabs.

In my opinion I think you're going a bit overboard and your school is going to spend a lot more than they really need to but you definitely won't get a bad quality or bad sounding cab if you choose one of these. You'll get a great result; I just don't think it's a particularly functional or thrifty way to go.

19. Journey55

They have to be new and the teacher said she'd rather it be good and never have to be replaced then for it to be cheap and get replaced after a while.

Do you have any non-410 suggestions?

20. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I won't get a 410 again. To heavy, to many horizontal drivers, too many of which are located at the ankles. I'd take a vertical pair of 210s over one of them any day. Or 2x12s. Or even a pair of 15s or just 12s.

21. IPYF

IPYF

Well out of the options presented I don't see you having any concerns regarding reliability. Even if you got one of the 4 Ohm cabs available that Backline 600 would only be throwing 300w set flat knacker (which no sane person would want to do anyway). None of those high end cabinets would even break a sweat.

Again, they're all really sturdy boxes. I think you would have a hard time hurting them in any way that wasn't deliberate.

I still think you're overcapitalising though. It's like putting mag wheels on a tricycle.If you're set on a 410 get an Ashdown, or a Hartke and save your school a megatonne in money.